is my snake hungry?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reptile-Man

Reaction score
hey,
i have a scrub python,
he is about 6 months old and 75cm long,

i usually feed him every thursday two fuzzys or pinkys,
i fed him on monday because he was hungry,
im not sure if he is hungry, now but he is alot more active like all day he has been going around his enclosure,
im not sure if he is about to molt i got him a few weeks ago and dont know when his last molt was, but he submerged his head im his waterbowl today, the was like rubbing his head on the stick for a few seconds, his eyes arnt milky, nore clear, never paid attention to his eyes so yeah,
is he hungry?
or molt and hes going around and around like he is restless he will curl up then 5 mins later get up and go looking around

Cheers Reef.

That scrub should be on larger meals than "pinkys or fuzzys"!
Try at least adult mice or 40 grm rats

Snakes dont "molt" as you put it they Slough!

Last edited by a moderator:
We start our hatchling diamonds on hoppers! Let alone feeding a young scrubby.

Yes, he would be hungry.

That scrub should be on larger meals than "pinkys or fuzzys"!
Try at least adult mice or 40 grm rats

Snakes dont "molt" as you put it they Slough!

the scrubie he has is a little bigger than my spotted x hatchies keep up the fuzzys show them a pic r man

Last edited by a moderator:
6month old scrub that is 75cm being fed pinkies fuzzys,try feeding a meal(thats a tease)try a large mouse,weaner rat..IMO i would defiantly upgrade the size and feed every 7days,Scrubs are LARGE snakes that WILL EAT ALOT..Seen yearlings that were 6ft and eating 250-300grams rats...I hope none of my snakes molt..lol

6month old scrub that is 75cm being fed pinkies fuzzys,try feeding a meal(thats a tease)try a large mouse,weaner rat..IMO i would defiantly upgrade the size and feed every 7days,Scrubs are LARGE snakes that WILL EAT ALOT..Seen yearlings that were 6ft and eating 250-300grams rats...I hope none of my snakes molt..lol
i ment shed i get mixed up because i was about to get a tarantula and was researching them not long ago, haha.

Hey RM Beeman is giving you advice, which is what you are looking for.
Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

scrubbys are pigs throw him a mouse or 2 by the pic he is more then capable of adult mouse

these guys are machines pretty much from the first meal onwards, just keep trying with the larger meals. i doubt beeman would resort to "bagging you" for piss n giggles. you ask for help yet when answers to your questions are fairly obvious, you take advice as ridicule? there will be times you will get answers that you may think are intended to try and make u feel a little less then happy but wether it be what you want to read or not. you at the end of the day are the one who put the question out there in the first place.

these guys are machines pretty much from the first meal onwards, just keep trying with the larger meals. i doubt beeman would resort to "bagging you" for piss n giggles. you ask for help yet when answers to your questions are fairly obvious, you take advice as ridicule? there will be times you will get answers that you may think are intended to try and make u feel a little less then happy but wether it be what you want to read or not. you at the end of the day are the one who put the question out there in the first place.

This is right & you will soon find that in this hobby there is a lot of people that do make fun but mean well & there is also people who talk bull. You have to read through it all & use your own common sense.

My advice with the little scrubby is to feed a meal, mouse or rat does not matter which that is, that is slightly larger than his head & they will take something even twice thier head size. What you have to think is that this little baby snake naturally wants to eat feriously to get big quick to avoid being at the bottom of the food chain.
If it where my young scrubby, I would start feeding one fuzzy rat (that is small rat just getting fur) every 5 to 7 days & increase the food size as he grows.
You certianly chose a lively type snake for a newbie. But hey all the best, treat him/her well & all will be good.

Hope this helps
Ian.

cheers, yeah got him for free from someone, thanks again.
This is right & you will soon find that in this hobby there is a lot of people that do make fun but mean well & there is also people who talk bull. You have to read through it all & use your own common sense.

My advice with the little scrubby is to feed a meal, mouse or rat does not matter which that is, that is slightly larger than his head & they will take something even twice thier head size. What you have to think is that this little baby snake naturally wants to eat feriously to get big quick to avoid being at the bottom of the food chain.
If it where my young scrubby, I would start feeding one fuzzy rat (that is small rat just getting fur) every 5 to 7 days & increase the food size as he grows.
You certianly chose a lively type snake for a newbie. But hey all the best, treat him/her well & all will be good.

Hope this helps
Ian.

Your post made me smile Mr Ian :) Thank you for being so nice to that boy.

Reptile_man... I remember what it was like being your age and having a passion for a hobby... being eager to learn but not knowing all there is to know, especially terms... and... well... being a 15yo kid that didn't know how to explain herself properly. Hell even now I am terrible at it. I also got attacked alot online... in hindsight, the reason was because its online... you are just words on a screen to those reading :) I doubt anyone would be so intolerant of a 15yo kid in person. I don't know if that is much comfort to you or not. Its hard not to take it personally when all you want to do is learn :)

Mr Ian gave you some great advice I think :)
Its not your fault you are young and new to the hobby. I hope that you find many nurturing people to help you out. It seems like you have stumbled right into the deep end, a scrubby is an ambitious choice! My coastal is smaller than your scrubby and eating more :) So should be a bit of an indicator of how he might need bigger feeds.

after any of your pythons have eaten they should have a very noticeable lump,( not just a bulge,) around their middle that should still be seen a few days later, if you can only see a bulge the next day, then upsize there food.

This is how i gauge if my pythons need upsizing.

wow thanks mate :) yeah ill give him a hopper and a fuzzy tomorrow. he weighs something like 43grams or 4.3 i have n idea haha. cant read scales.
Your post made me smile Mr Ian :) Thank you for being so nice to that boy.

Reptile_man... I remember what it was like being your age and having a passion for a hobby... being eager to learn but not knowing all there is to know, especially terms... and... well... being a 15yo kid that didn't know how to explain herself properly. Hell even now I am terrible at it. I also got attacked alot online... in hindsight, the reason was because its online... you are just words on a screen to those reading :) I doubt anyone would be so intolerant of a 15yo kid in person. I don't know if that is much comfort to you or not. Its hard not to take it personally when all you want to do is learn :)

Mr Ian gave you some great advice I think :)
Its not your fault you are young and new to the hobby. I hope that you find many nurturing people to help you out. It seems like you have stumbled right into the deep end, a scrubby is an ambitious choice! My coastal is smaller than your scrubby and eating more :) So should be a bit of an indicator of how he might need bigger feeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back