Renting with reptiles - in need of help!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
mate ive been told no dogs but never no reps
most real estates seem very accepting due to the fact that they have there own enclosures i moved out a month ago and i had 9 pythons and they didnt even question it they did ask what type of dog and how big it was. to real estate agents/landlords its more about what type of animal can cause damage to there property and a snake or lizard is a no risk "pet", but when it comes to asking if you can have rats and they asl how many and you reply multi breeding pairs they gets a bit antsy

I dont say anything, I have never really thought they apply the same rules... just as fish or a potted plant doesn't. We didn't mention it to our realestate... but its clear we have them when they do inspections, we dont hide them. We havent had any trouble or any mention of them. I think 'pets' more comes under animals that might do damage to the house or yard. Rats and mice will make the house smell. Same with dogs and cats. Dogs and cats can do damage to the interior and exterior of the house. Snakes and lizards... as horrible as this sounds... are no worse than having a potted plant in your house. Besides... they would have a bit of trouble telling me to get rid of my enclosed reptiles... when the place is infested with wild reptiles that do poop all over the walls and window sills. lol

We rent our place...have been here for 13 years..4 of us and 60+ reptiles for the last few years.
Our real estate has seen 3 different property managers in that time and not one of them has said a thing about us not being able to keep reptiles.
On the contrary they are always keen to ask questions and have a bit of a look.
They see lot of people now days that have reptiles....we are not the freaks we used to be LOL

For some reason in the place I'm at snakes count as pets but lizards dont :?
I think anything in a tank is ok. Although some landlords are really bitchy about it. We just hid my snake in a closet when the inspector came :p

i too would go with the honestly part, i mean its a fair stretch however if you don't tell them and something happens their insurance company may nullify any claim and use your reptiles/rats as the reason especially if they are undeclared on the rental lease

place yourself in a landlords position and ask yourself would you rather your tenant be up front and honest or lie and risk your property?

the reptiles im sure wouldn't be a big problem to a landlord because as has been stated they don't damage property like dogs/cats however the rats might be a different matter

offer for someone to come around and see your current residence (if possible) so they can see the set up for themselves, this could go a long way to showing what is involved and that your a honest renter who respects a landlords property, good references are one thing seeing the hands on is another, good luck

I think i'd be more worrried about the dog. When I moved in with snakes we never said anything and when we had inspections they never said anything. It's not like it can escape and cause an infestation or destroy anything really.

My bf and I got a dog at a later date and when we moved house. We tried calling private rentals to see if we could get a place and he called one lady who listed pets allowed, it was a granny flat at the back of her own place. Following is a script of the converstaion

Bf: Hello I'm just calling about the place you have for rent, is it still available?
Lady: Yes it's still available is thre anything you'd like to know?
Bf: It said pets allowed we have a puppy about 4months
Lady: What type of dog?
Bf: English staffy
Lady: Oh no!, sorry but no
Bf: Oh (a lil shocked) um ok, he's a lovely dog very well behaved. super friendly
Lady: Sorry, its just I have a dog too and would hate to come to find it mauled to death
Bf: (Restraining himself) Ok thanks anyway bye

Not even a joke!! Why do staffies have such a bad rep, every knows they are really big sooks!!!

I think i'd be more worrried about the dog. When I moved in with snakes we never said anything and when we had inspections they never said anything. It's not like it can escape and cause an infestation or destroy anything really.

My bf and I got a dog at a later date and when we moved house. We tried calling private rentals to see if we could get a place and he called one lady who listed pets allowed, it was a granny flat at the back of her own place. Following is a script of the converstaion

Bf: Hello I'm just calling about the place you have for rent, is it still available?
Lady: Yes it's still available is thre anything you'd like to know?
Bf: It said pets allowed we have a puppy about 4months
Lady: What type of dog?
Bf: English staffy
Lady: Oh no!, sorry but no
Bf: Oh (a lil shocked) um ok, he's a lovely dog very well behaved. super friendly
Lady: Sorry, its just I have a dog too and would hate to come to find it mauled to death
Bf: (Restraining himself) Ok thanks anyway bye

Not even a joke!! Why do staffies have such a bad rep, every knows they are really big sooks!!!

Same thing happened to me. Used to have a Greyhound and we're looking at this place that said pets allowed. We asked about and she said No because her Maltese/****zu will wander into the backyard and she didn't want him to get mauled!!!

Same thing happened to me. Used to have a Greyhound and we're looking at this place that said pets allowed. We asked about and she said No because her Maltese/****zu will wander into the backyard and she didn't want him to get mauled!!!

WOT!?! Because of a greyhound?? That is ridiculous . . lil dogs annoy me (and their owners mostly too), when we used to walk our dog if he played a lil too rough or barked a lil too loudly everyone would look as though they are thinking "oh that aggressive lil killer" but if a lil fluff ball does the same thing "oh isn't that cute? hehehaha" . . Thats y those tho lil yap dogs are so annoying, because they get away with being lil ****s because when they do it it's cute

WOT!?! Because of a greyhound?? That is ridiculous . . lil dogs annoy me (and their owners mostly too), when we used to walk our dog if he played a lil too rough or barked a lil too loudly everyone would look as though they are thinking "oh that aggressive lil killer" but if a lil fluff ball does the same thing "oh isn't that cute? hehehaha" . . Thats y those tho lil yap dogs are so annoying, because they get away with being lil ****s because when they do it it's cute

Tell me about it and we had a maltese/****zu as well. We used to be able to stand Coco (Maltese/****zu) on top of Bonnie (Greyhound) she was that placid. Small dogs have the most annoying barks, we have 2 behind our houise that never shut up.

i think a lot of people confuse staffys with pit bulls

as for people with small dogs not wanting them to be around greyhounds it could be because they link blooding of greyhounds with small animals, guess old myths die very slowly sometimes

Caesar Millan often says 'smaller dogs are usually the instigator of trouble but everyone doesn't want to believe little dogs are anything but cute so the BIG bad dogs get blamed for it all' which he is pretty much spot on

Tell me about it and we had a maltese/****zu as well. We used to be able to stand Coco (Maltese/****zu) on top of Bonnie (Greyhound) she was that placid. Small dogs have the most annoying barks, we have 2 behind our houise that never shut up.

i use to live between two houses, one house had 4 poms and the other house had 2 of them, they NEVER shut the hell up and were very annoying and i think because of their size their bark is really worse then their bite and is annoying, a big dog barks and everyone complains especially small dog owners

i think a lot of people confuse staffys with pit bulls

as for people with small dogs not wanting them to be around greyhounds it could be because they link blooding of greyhounds with small animals, guess old myths die very slowly sometimes

Caesar Millan often says 'smaller dogs are usually the instigator of trouble but everyone doesn't want to believe little dogs are anything but cute so the BIG bad dogs get blamed for it all' which he is pretty much spot on
That is true, I have a Bull mastiff/Bull arab and 2 Jack Russell crosses, the male and the big dog were best friends until he decided to be cocky and pick a fight with the Bull Arab x who is about 10 times bigger, ended up having to pull the big one off him, all calmed down until next time I was with them, he did it again. Now the poor Bull Arab is out in the back yard as I can't trust the little one not to get himself killed. They are stupid.

I haven't told my real estate, and I don't plan to... if they ever do an inspection (been here nearly a year and not one yet), then I'll just cover the enclosures, hopefully they'll never know.

In saying that though, I have my snakes in click-clacks, not big enclosures.

if they wont let you keep reptiles just turn into the renters from hell and trash the place then do the runner,that works for lots of housos

When we told our landlord we just pushed the whole "Cleanest animal you can have" side of things. With fish you have potential water damage from a broken tank, most other animals you have fur, feathers or their food left all over the place but snakes just stay in their enclosures (mostly). Because we live next door to the owners of the place we asked for their ok first (Although we already had our python by then!) then spoke to the real estate agent once the owners said yes. They were a bit nervous about the possibility of him getting out but they had no problems at all with us having snakes in the house as long as we weren't keeping live rodents for food as well.

We rented for 7 years before we bought our house and we had fish, about 40 fish tanks and 2 snakes, the real estate said we don't have to disclose them as they were classed as animals that were kept in tanks and cages, its more of cats and dogs that they were worried about and that came from 2 different agents.

I told my current real estate agent I had 2 bearded dragons and a snake. They seemed fine with this, however they stipulated on
the lease that all my animals must remain in their cages at all times.

This was such an insult after moving in and finding there was dog hair all through the carpet throughout the house (which I noticed when inspecting the place and was told they would steam clean the carpets).

Since then, I've got another snake and 2 pet rats. My partner has a cat, and my housemate got a duck. I didn't bother telling the agent given how sly and sneaky they are.

I'm normally a very open and honest person and would notify the agent of new animals, but given their attitude and lying, I don't see why I should. They have blatantly lied about having the place cleaned before moving in, failed to do proper maintenance and made other blatant lies. For example, I was told it was not their obligation to remove left over furniture from the last tenant because they claimed it was there when the owner bought the house, therefore it's not their obligation (uhh no.. they're leasing out a VACANT house, it is their obligation).

The way I see it, is if they say anything about my animals, I can easily use all their wrongdoings as leverage. And, I've got plenty of photos when I first moved in (attached to the condition report) showing the original condition of the place.

Last edited:
I told my current real estate agent I had 2 bearded dragons and a snake. They seemed fine with this, however they stipulated on
the lease that all my animals must remain in their cages at all times.

This was such an insult after moving in and finding there was dog hair all through the carpet throughout the house (which I noticed when inspecting the place and was told they would steam clean the carpets).

Since then, I've got another snake and 2 pet rats. My partner has a cat, and my housemate got a duck. I didn't bother telling the agent given how sly and sneaky they are.

I'm normally a very open and honest person and would notify the agent of new animals, but given their attitude and lying, I don't see why I should. They have blatantly lied about having the place cleaned before moving in, failed to do proper maintenance and made other blatant lies. For example, I was told it was not their obligation to remove left over furniture from the last tenant because they claimed it was there when the owner bought the house, therefore it's not their obligation (uhh no.. they're leasing out a VACANT house, it is their obligation).

The way I see it, is if they say anything about my animals, I can easily use all their wrongdoings as leverage. And, I've got plenty of photos when I first moved in (attached to the condition report) showing the original condition of the place.

Lol, I had the same problems in both my current as well as my last rental. "Eww snakes! Keep them locked up!" Yet dog hair everywhere and stinky carpets. Thanks Real Estate!

if they wont let you keep reptiles just turn into the renters from hell and trash the place then do the runner,that works for lots of housos

great idea, oh hang on dont real estate agents have this 'thing' were they can put bad tenants names so every other real estate agent cant check potential renters? damn close but no cigar, guess u could always use a fake name

if your lease stipulates NO pets then you can sneak in as many as you like because they can and WILL evict you for breaching the lease and they have that right, then again you might get a great RE agent or landlord who says its ok, also if your landlord/RE agent says you can have pets despite the lease make sure you get that in writing to cover your rear end

thank you Judge Judy
:lol:

Well pretty much I love my reps but if I did an inspection at either of my propertys that are rented out and I saw reptiles , or even fish . Id simply say " if there isnt a letter in the office by the end of the week asking for these animals to be approved , Your out " If i got a letter id go an inspect the the enclosures etc , to make sure they're would be no damage done to the house from them and Id say great no probs stay and keep them but no letter or un managed enclosures and theyre out !..... Ive had trouble with renters and figure if theyre lying about that what else could they do ! After all I intend on leaving these places for my children ... In saying that I have no prob with the animals just with the lying ! If you want to do whatever you want to a house BUY YOUR ******* OWN !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back