Adhd?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hornet

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
Does anyone know where in the brisbane/sunshine coast area i could go to see if i could have ADHD? I have been reading up on it and the symptom list perfectly describes me, i have trouble concentrating unless its something i love, i move from task to task constantly, i dont organize myself , my interests change almost daily, i'm impulsive and the list goes on. The main thing i'm thinking about is if i do in fact have ADHD then possibly i could finally get propper treatment for what i have been going through since i have been a kid and would make my day to day life so much easier. Anything you guys could suggest?

First plan of attack would be to make an appointment with your GP they can then put in a referral to the appropiate people for adults that do the testing. I recently went through this with my son and they have found out he has aspergers. GP referral gets you seen and tested quicker well it did in my case for my son. Hope this helps.

How can you have ADHD you like plants :p

yes but what plants i like changed weekly lol, one week its venus fly traps, another week its ferns, next week orchids, week before broms lol

You just described me lol
I have attention def bad... what is that shiny thing... anyway my son has it to and since he got put on low doses of ritalin his grades have gone from bad to straight A's.. if only i had seen a dr lol
Makes life interesting and also has the effect with me that i am never down or stress as there are way to many things to disctract me to worry about what happened 5 minutes ago..
Does drive wives insane though i have noted.. just imbrace it and use the gift

unfortunately i have also been suffered depression bad which i read often can come with ADHD so i get the blues pretty bad at times but when ever i do try and do something i end up starting 100 different things lol

As well as checking with your GP cut out as many synthetics as you can from your diet. A friend of mine grew up with it and they tried all the drugs under the sun; he was either a zombie or it didn't work. Once his mum began to stick to organic food, particularly away from food colourings, he actually chilled out a lot. Might not be much, but it could help.

a Google diagnosis??? never good. people will Google themselves in to any disease or medical problem looking at symptoms lists on the internet.
ADHD can be a sensitive subject for people who are close to it.
If Ur that concerned you do have it the obvious answer to Ur question is go see a doctor.

yesm see a GP then you will get referred to a psych and then you might get you some speed to calm you down, they can also help you will your depression issues as well with either counselling sessions or meds or both. Depends how bad it is.

guy i work with has AD when he’s off his meds he pretty sporadic and really unorganized and when he’s on his meds he becomes really focused and organized, but has told me he does not really like some of the effects of the drugs, so he goes through stages of using and not using the meds, he gets cotton mouth pretty bad to :(.

my ex suffered pretty bad from depression, self-harm etc., eventually i was able to counsel her and get her to stop cutting, but i could never get her to stick with a proper counsellor for long enough to help with all the other issues. it would get hard and she would run/hid from it. ostrich head in a hole effect really.

I would say that first you have identified and are seeking assistance is a great first step and from your post shows a will/desire to get help, and I’m a firm believer that you cannot help someone that does not want to help themselves, despite how hard you try.

Definitely see a GP for this one. I was diagnosed with Tourettes when I was 7, then a diagnosis of OCD and ADD came later... I was put on ritalin when I was 7, but I had to take clonodine at night to make me sleep. It got to the point where I would sleep before school, and then I was falling asleep at school, and turned into a zombie. I was taken off this medication, and I haven't gone back on it since. There were other medications but unfortunately they were depressants... I wasn't willing to risk that considering depression is in my family, and I don't remember a time in my life where there wasn't one crappy thing happening after another.

A couple of years ago I was diagnosed with an anxiety disorder, and the medication for that helps with anxiety depression and OCD. It's helped the ADD also, and I found out the hard way that I couldn't go off that medication... (unfortunately the meds don't help my memory) Instead of getting stressed and scared I got extremely angry and aggressive, to the point where I was scared of myself... not a good thing! It didn't help that while I was in this state my family and I had gone out to McDonalds for dinner and there was a young teenage girl there that decided I looked funny. I was only a few feet away from her and she was sitting there pointing and laughing at me while her mother sat on her backside across from her and did nothing... grrr!

The girl and her siblings continued to point and laugh at me the entire time my family were in there and their mother did nothing. I wanted to hammer them both, and I was very close to having a go at the mother but I knew if I did it would get out of hand because it was already hard enough to control my anger without the meds as it was. The next day I went to Reef and River, they put a yearling black headed python in my hands and just a few minutes later I was calm again. Went out and restocked the meds and have been careful to make sure I never run out of them again, I definitely don't want a repeat episode of that!

Ahhh crap... I am also like that... mmmm... Might have to change my name too ADH3

Totally off topic.. but Moose, why does your sig have more o's in it than your username?

i have ahlzimers but at least i dont have ahlzimers.

i am a raving case of ADHD,diagnosed in the 80,s as a young fella and put onto dexamphetimine which worked really well,until i was about 24 it caused a major imbalance which in turn caused clinical depression.
so for years i been off ADD meds and strugled big time with orginisation and concentration,however in the last couple months i have started a new non stimulant medication which helps,not as powerfully as dex but at least im not locked in a phsyc ward lol

i am a raving case of ADHD,diagnosed in the 80,s as a young fella and put onto dexamphetimine which worked really well,until i was about 24 it caused a major imbalance which in turn caused clinical depression.
so for years i been off ADD meds and strugled big time with orginisation and concentration,however in the last couple months i have started a new non stimulant medication which helps,not as powerfully as dex but at least im not locked in a phsyc ward lol

Yeh, my son was diagnosed at 10 and put on Midnight Runners, gave the so called Doc an ear full when I found out....feeding kids, Speed is a joke..

in my ok i havnt read all posts but from the ones i have read your geting pretty decent advice yes teh 1st step is to see your gp discribe what you have been doing/thinking ect and ask him if he feels a refural to a psylogist and psychiatrist should be in order or if you can get one just for self reassurance.

these are NOT cheap i pay $180 an hr to see my psychiatrist and my psychicoligst bulk bills me so that 1 is kool.

simply put 1 will diagnose you and be in charge of your meds the other you just talk sh@t to about how you feel ect and what triggers your depression and other feelings.

i am diagnosed sever bipolar with borderline skitsofrenia and i also have anxiety attacks and insomnia bipolar and skitso run in my family.

the meds i am on are quite expensive however make a huge differance in controling my temper and depresion ect ect

as said b4 gp for referal. my son has been on meds since he was 4 yrs for adhd. was on dex now on ritalin also on catapress to make him go to sleep and another med for wetting. change of schools has worked for him also. this year he has been diagnosed with asd, dyslexica and irlen syndrom. his asd is mild autism, his dyslexica is savere and extremly light sencitive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back