feeding within the enclosure my experiences.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I feed all mine in their cages, ranging from hatchlings to 8-9ft morelia and aspidites. I can easily get any of them out at any time I like. It boils down to the keepers experience in handling snakes.

I would think if you remove them for feeding and thats the most common time they are handled, they are definitely going to associate handling with food. Before I got snakes what seemed logical to me was remove them from their cage for feeding so a hand coming in is not associated with food. Having owned snakes for a very short time now, I now know they are very quick to pick up a routine... and very quick to make associations. I decided the more obvious I make each event, the better my animals will handle. I think whether you leave them in or take them out, the most important thing would be to make it an obviously separate event. Using a different door, using tongs etc. I feed inside, but I am still slightly debating this with myself. I use tongs, I feed them on the same day every week and on that day I dont handle them. I dont know if this is a good routine to establish, but so far I have accomplished two things... on nonfeeding days everything is good, no one wants to eat me... on feeding day, I better not put my hand in there. LOL

i used to feed outside the enclosure to, but as the collection started to grow it was just to much effort and so now all feeding is done in the enclosures, cant say i have noticed much differents in there habits.

If you only have 1 or a few snakes,then it can be easier to remove to feed them,however if you have a larger collection,removing 20+ snakes each feed time can be time consuming...I have fed out of there enclosures and fed in there enclosures,however if you study your snake,you can work out the best time etc to feed them..I havent found any difference at all...Personal preference....Theres no right or wrong way...

Yeh, feed all of mine in, always have. They are not stupid and can tell if it's feeding time or not by the smell, or absence there of of food items. Bar a few foul tempered animals, they can be removed by hand at any time, without any feeding respose. This is my experience though, perhaps my animals are just smarter than average?

As cement said, think it boils down to experience in handling as much as any behavioral habits.

Well i could've handled my pythons anytime i wanted and all i know now is that it has become a hassle to make them settle and let me open the doors. By the way just for your knowledge i handle my snakes very often, especially when they are outside on the grass where they poo. in fact alot of my time on the computer i will normally have a snake round my neck.

I can put my hand in all my enclosures and not be bitten, soon as a rats in that hand its in and out as soon as possible, whatever happened to the rule of leaving them to their own devices for 48hrs after a feed to allow for digestion?
Feeding outside you are handling them within minutes of feeding, I would guess they could also start thinking that when they are out of enclosure its feeding time??
What ever floats ya boat mate, just cause you have had bad experiences with cage feeding does not give you the right to knock it and tell others they are wrong, at a guess I would so over 90% of snakes keepers would cage feed.

lol @ snake round neck when web surfing thats some hella 80's hair band video clip style of net surfin u do there bro :p
(just a little joke not a personal attack or flame, adding this for the people with zero sense of humor)

Put some rodent scent on you and see if it makes a difference inside or outside an enclosure!! Looks like everyone has their own experiences based around various factors. I do believe every snake to be different, and differs from time to time, and should be treated as such. For me it is unpractical to feed outside their enclosure, but can say a highly aggressive snake is usually less aggressive with a mouthful of food. I dont like moving snakes after they have eaten so find inside less stressfull for them.

lol @ snake round neck when web surfing thats some hella 80's hair band video clip style of net surfin u do there bro :p
(just a little joke not a personal attack or flame, adding this for the people with zero sense of humor)
what tha fark???

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back