I'm truely amazed!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It wouldn't suprise me if he hadn't been living under the slab in the chicken coop all his life, steve1. Even with a steady and reliable food source of local rodents, at 1200mm, I'd say he's still on the slim side (backbone is very well defined). That's the concern of the rest of the group, that release into an unfamiliar area will mean death by predator or starvation, but I guess all animals face that, though Blindy's at a distinct disadvantage.

Very interesting Waterrat, I wonder how they avoid attack? Great article on Chappell BTW, a truely amazing place, any updates on vegetation management on the Island ?

such a shame u cant keep hm legally.. :(
totally sucks that tehy wont make exceptions for a case like his. :(

Totally understandable from their point of view I reckon, Chris1.

EB's aren't really a conservation issue or perhaps it may have been different.

The difference between the Carnac island and the Chapell island is the bird life.
The gulls that nest on Carnac have figured out their chances of raising a chick are improved by removing the eyes of adult tigers.
The muttonbirds of Chappell havnt cottoned on and anyway, they are not as smart/aggresive as the birds of Carnac.
This is just my theory and could easily be incorrect.

A bit off topic, but, I was talking with a mate of mine who I did some volunteer work with a while back (on Tiger Quolls) and he argued that, due to Tassie Devil's small gene pool, extinction for them is almost inevitable in the short term (as it would be with many other island races of marsupials) and we wondered what the long term survival scenario might be for, say, the Tigers of Chappell Island and what their genetic diversity is like? Has anyone ever done any research in this regard? Is genetic diversity as important in reptiles as is is in mammals?? (I should have started another thread)!

I can't really comment other than it seems at least so far that Carnac Tigers are doing well.
I think the subject is worthy of it's own thread. Should be interesting

I.V although sure the critter would have had no problems with the mice in the pen, the question was put forward on another forum whether or not the eggs could have been exploited as a food source. someone did an experiment with a stimmie and a quail egg, the first stimmie took it and let go second one nailed it no worries.

The owner of the place reckons he hadn't lost any chicks (as he left all eggs with the hens) and I doubt with his head size he could swallow something as large as a chook egg. My own experience tells me that elapids may not have the swallowing ability of pythons, even of a similar size (though I could be wrong)?

interesting read IV, pitty you cannot place him back to where he was.
goodluck Blindy

Steve1, nice pic, thanks for sharing, looks like quiet a large bobtail in there! I've seen pics of EB's consuming large adult Eastern Bluetongues, so I guess chook eggs are a possibility! Here's a pic I posted in another thread of another EB I had in rehab. After capture it regurged 3 young Bluies.

Thanks bigi, I may have to find someone else's chook shed for a release (one of those large commercial hatcheries maybe):D!! (just kidding). HEHEHAHAHEHE!!!

Blind EB in a commercial hatchery at feed time would certainly liven up the place. :) That's a great photo of the EB and the regurgitated Blue Tongues.

Varanus mate another great thread on the dedication you show to wild animals.
Why dont you just keep the poor thing on the down low. stuff the authorities when you can keep it healthy.
cheers again

Wally76, You can see the lid in the top part of that pic, that's the biggest gap I was game enough to poke the camera through:D! Daily Baytril injections didn't do much for our relationship!!

Steve1, "unforgettable" would best describe it!

Licky, I'm no Ned Kelly:D! I'll leave that to a younger man!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back