Stimson's too small?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MissVampz

Not so new Member
Reaction score
My stimson's python seems to be quite small for his age, when I brought him they were unsure of his age but going off the feed records they gave me I place him at about 18 months old, but he's only about 40cm's long and not very thick either. He's healthy, rarely refuses a feed, pooping regularly and settled in quite well. They also reckon he was eating weaner mice, tried him on those and they were too big so he's having 2 fuzzies once a week. Wondering if I should be worried or am I being paranoid?
P1000350.jpgP1000316.jpg

In theory, he's small for his age - both my Stimson's are JUST 12 months old and measure 56cm+.

However, there is apparently such a thing as a Pygmy Stimson's (if you believe the sellers) though this might somehow be a naturally occurring intergrade between a Stimson's and a Pygmy Python (Antaresia perthensis). Pygmy Stimson's are said to come from a specific locality, which sellers I've spoken to refuse to disclose. :x

It is not a pygmy stimmi , I'd say a WA of some sort ... they can take a while to get to size so don't worry it looks healthy enough in those pics .
If it's eating and behaving normally then its all good , I have some yearlings at 300+ grams and some at 100+grams , they all grow at different rates .
I would keep trying the weaners though , it could easily eat them .

Yeah I have some kept handy, and I've been trying them. Yeah he's a WA stimmi.

I was stressing about this with my diamond the other day! As long as they are happy, have great muscle to the, and are feeding and pooping well, you have nothing to worry about :)

I agree with the others size doesn't matter:) If it is healthy and happy all good!

All snakes grow at different rates,some the same age may be bigger,however some may be smaller.As long as ur fella is eating,pooping and shedding,you have nothing to worry about...

dont worry to much my spotteds are under size for 2 years old i really am starting to think its cause mine are for pet shop they dont feed them the right amount and have like 2 weeks between feeds.

my stimmie is from george town and is very small compared to others. maybe 60cm at 2- 2.5 years?

i got 2 stimmies from the same clutch- they eat the same amounts on the same days, but one of them has always been bigger (the male), theyre 10months, and he is just over 60cm, and the female is only about 50cm (the breeder i got them from said the female didnt feed when she was young- she refused 3 feeds and then was forcefed)- and ive heard that if theyre slow to start, they miss out on their first growth spurt... and it takes a few months for them to catch up.

Sometimes breeders feed them minimal amounts to keep them small (and cute i supose) in order to sell them.. so ive been told. I think the reputable breeders in WA are all very good.. but you never know, where did you buy yours from?

Another thing.. some snakes are just small. I'm wondering if my female will be a small snake. Comparing her with her brother, who is huge, it just seems likely that she wont grow that big in the end.

I wouldnt worry. Just keep finding your stimmy, and as long as he wolfs down his food, he'll catch up. I feed mine once every 6 days- they get 2 rat pinkies each.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back