Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AllThingsReptile

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
i was just looking at the herps i can keep on the basic license (vic)
and noticed roughies werent in there, so i looked at the advanced license, and they were there, does anybody know why, or is there something im missing??

it just puzzles me, as scrubbies are basic....but huge lol

i guess its because there rare compard to coastals and that . womas are the same [ on advanced]

New to the vic license, only added to the schedule last year. Anything new to a license system will always be on the "higher" license. You will notice that the pygmy BD, N. amaye, N. asper, leaf tail gex and golden taileds are on the advance license as well due to being new. It's got nothing to do with size or care or availability as womas are on advance license as well and always have, while black heads are on the basic.

Last edited:
Don't hold your breath on them coming down to the basic as they only review every 5 years or so... Just get the advance license mate. That's what I did as soon as the new species were added as I wanted golden tailed geckoes (which I now have eggs incubating ) as well as the rough geckoes.

will do......when im 18, im actually 14 atm, so cant get an advanced license, otherwise i would be keeping frill necks atm :)

With getting a class 2 lic, Say you want a GTP, I know to get that you need to have kept a carpet python for at least 12 months. But my question is if you get your class 2 for a GTP and then want a lacey do you have to apply again and prove that you have had a similar monitor on class 1 or it doesnt matter because you now have a class 2.

in vic u can apply straight for the advanced , i only had my basic for a couple of months before i changed to advanced

pretty much, for people under 18 to get an advanced license you need to do snake handling courses and all this crap, so for now i'll stick with my basic license, and work on actually getting a snake first lol

pretty much, for people under 18 to get an advanced license you need to do snake handling courses and all this crap, so for now i'll stick with my basic license, and work on actually getting a snake first lol

What a load of crap!
The only way you will get an advanced licence under age is if you parents hold the licence!

There is NO licence category in Vic that requires completion of a snake handling course!

With getting a class 2 lic, Say you want a GTP, I know to get that you need to have kept a carpet python for at least 12 months. But my question is if you get your class 2 for a GTP and then want a lacey do you have to apply again and prove that you have had a similar monitor on class 1 or it doesnt matter because you now have a class 2.

I just had a look and its NOT 12 months its 2 years

What a load of crap!
The only way you will get an advanced licence under age is if you parents hold the licence!

"If the applicant or licence holder intends to keep
venomous snakes, (and is less than 18 years of
age), he/she must include written demonstration of
competency in the handling of venomous snakes.
Contact the Customer Service Centre on 136-186,
for further information."

http://www.dse.vic.gov.au/CA256F310024B628/0/B26F8AF7E3D97226CA257193007930EF/$File/Application+for+a+Private+Wildlife+Licence.pdf

check on page 4 mate ;)

"If the applicant or licence holder intends to keep
venomous snakes, (and is less than 18 years of
age), he/she must include written demonstration of
competency in the handling of venomous snakes.
Contact the Customer Service Centre on 136-186,
for further information."

http://www.dse.vic.gov.au/CA256F310024B628/0/B26F8AF7E3D97226CA257193007930EF/$File/Application+for+a+Private+Wildlife+Licence.pdf

check on page 4 mate ;)

None of the trainers in this state will certify anyone under the age of 18!

Just on a side note the customer service centre knows stuff all about the regs and requirements so are not worth the call!

None of the trainers in this state will certify anyone under the age of 18!

Just on a side note the customer service centre knows stuff all about the regs and requirements so are not worth the call!

Wouldn't bet on that! There are trainers who have done venomous handling courses with people under 18 with a guardian present.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back