Stick Insect eggs HELP

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jaclyndaniel

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Just needing a bit of help…
I had a spiny leaf insect, unfortunately she passed away last month but I still have all her eggs. They are like a year old and still have not hatched…. What would help them hatch? What conditions are best for the eggs?

Cheers
Jac

Maybe you should read about the subject before you post. They can take up to two years to hatch.

Yeah I agree, Mine didn't take that long but I did virtually neglect them. I sprayed them possibly once a month if lucky and now they hatching at about ten a day, be prepared though for a lot of the young to croak it, I have food, moisture, everything recommended and some of them still kick the bucket.
We need to be positive....not this "they're dead" attitude.

I forgot about all my eggs, looked in one day after the adults had died and there was dozens of babies crawlin around...gave them food and most of them were fine.

Stick insect egg help? It's impossible to need help with these guys, they're easy as! Just soak as suggested for a few minutes and then keep doing what you were doing before which was hopefully keeping them on sand/coco peat/paper towel and spraying every few days.

Cheers guys thanks for the positive vibes :)
Ill let you all know what happens

there dead.......

i seriously doubt that the eggs are still alive after a year

as others have said please know what your talking about before offering advice.

Jaclyn, the species you have would be the spiny leaf insect (Extatasoma tiaratum) i assume, probably the most commonly kept species in the hobby. The incubation period for this species varies from 3months to well over 3 years. Can you give me some back ground information. Firstly are you able to confirm what species? Was she kept with a male? What conditions have you been keeping eggs in (i.e. wet, dry, warm cold etc) and what substrate do you have them on? Phasmid eggs are designed to outlast unfavorable conditions so chances are there will still be many viable eggs.

very interesting,thats seems like a long time for an insect to me lol

Well, she was a extatasoma tiaratum.
I had her for about a 4 months before introducing a male. She mated with him and days after I found him dead. Then about a month after I had eggs appearing everywhere. That lasted about 10 months before she passed away 2 months ago. I still have all the eggs she layed in her total life since the first. There are about 200 there. The eggs I keep on paper towel in a container on top of my old frog terrarium which is about 25 degrees where it is. I have neglected them for the last 5 months I reckon. I just didnt want to chuck them out because of how long it took her to lay them all. Id feel pretty bad. Im hoping if I soak them and start misting them every few days again they will be fine and hatch. Do i need to put them somewhere warmer? Do you think at least some may live?

temp sounds fine, mist weekly. Are you saying she didnt start laying till about a month after you introduced the male? Sounds to me she wasnt mature, the normally lay within 2weeks of maturing. Its possible the eggs were not fertilized, they will still hatch but unfertilized eggs take longer to hatch, as do neglected eggs. As i said mist weekly and all going well you will get some hatching in the not to distant future

Well it was quite a time ago that it happened. It could have been two weeks, I really dont remember. Ill have to wait and see. Ill make a new post with pics if it happens :)

there dead.......

i seriously be to to differ :rolleyes:, spiny leaf insects take up to 3 years to hatch they can hatch at all different times!

there dead.......

:rolleyes:

Seriously i beg to differ, the eggs can take as long as 3 years to hatch!

if the egg was not fertilized they will all be females.... well thats wat i heard :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back