Dad gets bitten by snake visiting his dads grave site( bathurst white rock)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah my dad is convinced that it was an eastern brown and he dose know the difference between most snakes in the area....one fang penitrated his skin through his king gee work pants leaving venom drenched on the out side. the snake had repeatedly bitting back on his steel cap boots then went away....dad felt alright no pain but minuts later got tight chested and blured vision ....carol my step mum said she thought he would go in a coma....and die......the next morning he was still alive and got better from there....he watches to many westerns :lol:

Thanks for the update and additional info Steve. It's good to hear that your dad is O.K.
After reading this, there is little reason to doubt that it was an Eastern Brown Snake (Pseudonaja textilis). The size, colour, location, symptoms and nature of the attack all strongly suggest this species.

The only thing that is unusual for P.textilis, is that venom reportedly "drenched" the work pants, as this species typically injects only a relatively small amount of venom in a bite (~7 mg). This was possibly an exaggeration though, for dramatic effect (i.e the pub version of the account ;)). However, it's of course possible that an above average amount was expressed in the bite of a large specimen, as this one was reportedly as thick as a man's wrist. A maximum yield of 67 mg has been recorded for this species* but it's unlikely to be anywhere near this in a field scenario.

It's fortunate that he was wearing tough pants because P.textilis have very short fangs.

yeah my dad is convinced that it was an eastern brown and he dose know the difference between most snakes in the area....one fang penitrated his skin through his king gee work pants leaving venom drenched on the out side. the snake had repeatedly bitting back on his steel cap boots then went away....dad felt alright no pain but minuts later got tight chested and blured vision ....carol my step mum said she thought he would go in a coma....and die......the next morning he was still alive and got better from there....he watches to many westerns :lol:

*Straun & John Sutherland, 'Venomous Creatures of Australia' 2006.

Last edited:
yeah thanks bushman......

yeah between my dad and step mum the story is half n half....drenched should have not been the word more like trace's of venom. i must say after at least 5 pm my dad never go's with out his beer no matter what..... though he isn't a pub drinker i must give him that....he isn't the average beer bum who tells storys ...the fish always stay the same size.....:lol:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back