"New Woma Story" What would you do?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

micksta9

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Here's the story with my new Woma just want some feedback as to what other reptile owners would do. I recently purchased a 1yr old male woma from a reputable snake breeder. He arrives in his box and i go to get him out and the bag is soaked in his urine. I check the chart with which he is provided with and that morning prior to sending he is noted as being blue. I put him in his enclosure and let him settle in over night contact the supplier of his state upon arrival that being soaked in urine and ask if they would recomend i bath him and give a wash. They respond with if you like, is not a problem if you don't. I do it anyway as i feel it is best and might help with his upcomming shed. What follows is a preshed snake that i don't see at all for 3-4 days nothing out of the ordinary for a new snake settling in or in shed right. When i get worried that he has not moved at all for 3 days i check on him and lift off his hide he moves and is sneezing, and coughing not hissing it's like he is sick almost like convulsions. I get pretty stressed no one likes a sick animal, called the local reptile vet and they say sorry he's probalbly going die over night sounds like a respitory disease. I increase the humidity in the tank as it is now 5-6 days since he turned blue and still hasn't shed and on the seventh day he shed really bad in like 4 peices but a fullshed no eye caps etc. Since then he has refused 2 feeds in the last 5 days and has deficated twice the first was all white with a small amount of a green tinge(not good) the second normal and both a day appart. This Woma is very sluggish and when he does move about he is not very active. He is as i said 1yr old and about 4ft+ a big boy. The respitory symptoms have dissapeared.
If you can give some advice it would be appreciated as to weather you would keep this animal or ask for a replacement i would like to know the opinions of other members with experience in similar situations. Before you ask i have other snakes all healthy and his enclosure is spot on temps, hides etc.
Is he just stressed out or a dud?
Please hit me with what you would do, i can exchange him if i want the breeder has said no worries as of today i told them i would let them know.

I would have him replaced. This problem could end up being long-term (if it hasn't already been long-term) which in turn may affect your other animals and cost you a lot in vet bills.

Sounds like the respitory symptoms were related to the shed (that happens sometimes) see if you can get the rest of his shed off (make him slither through a towel wet with warm water).
I'm sure this hasn't been a pleasant experience for you but I think he'll come good once that shed is off.

put him in a plastic tub with a perch and put about 30mm of warm water in the bottom and leave him over night. You can also put him in a snake bag thats been soaked in warm water

He has shed all of his skin, so in that regard all good. Day by day he has improved but you are right sara-sabian not pleasent. I'm not completely new to keeping snakes so i don't consider myself experienced just lucky all of my antaresia's have been a dream. Then i get this big guy and it's tough on one hand it's a challenge and on the other a pain in the ****. I'm getting attatched to him and want him thrive plus he's a damn good looking snake!

are you saying that your woma shed all of its old skin including the spactacles but that it broke up into 4 pieces?
I wonder if the humidity is too high in pre shed as womas will still shed well in quite dry conditions- just putting it out there as when too wet the old skin can break up easily and high humidity might contribute to the respiratory symptoms???
Does it have a good feeding record
Good luck with the little fella and your decision. If its stressing you out then maybe return him, sounds like the breeder wants to do the right thing by you, which is great.

there was an episode of snakebytes a few weeks back about sick snakes and what they do. had some great info. try find that on the site and see if you can do what they do with snakes that seem to have respiritory infections

Last edited by a moderator:
As i was told to increase the humidity by the breeder to get the old skin off to avoid it dry baking on i did just that? Put a big container of water in and 2 wet toilet rolls in as i was instructed to do. This was just over night so you may be right the humidity might have been too high for him. I will say that respitory symptoms were evident prior to the actual shed they were in the lead up and have totally disapeared now?

well good luck. make sure your temps are around 33 so maybe he can dry out a little. its possible if the bag was very wet that he may have breathed in some of the liquid, sometimes when i bathe my snakes if they are having a little trouble shedding they seem to sneeze a little and it seems to me that that is from the water they may have breathed in. no other possibility as they werent doing it before hand. hope this helps and good luck

Guys i will add that the Snake is from Snake Ranch as have been all my snakes and the service they have provided especially over x-mas has been great. Marilyn, John and Kevin have provided me with service that is second to none and no questions asked replacement is on offer if i choose so i have full peace of mind. I'm just putting this thread out to see if helps me make my decission any easier.:)

i bought my tanami woma from them earlier this year and found them great. the quality was great to. i think you should do what u feel in ur gut. best way to be sure of what you want.

So if the "respitory problems" have cleared up the only issue is that it has refused 2 feeds in 5 days in the week or so that you have owned it? Leave it alone for a good week and then try and feed. Poor thing is probably just stressed.

Be very careful putting any snake into a wet bag. Wet bags can make it very diificult to breath through and people have killed snakes doing so. Unfortunately there is often a risk of a snake urinating in its transportation bag and this certainly would have been just simply, unlucky. If your snake is now better, I can't see any problem.

Putting a snake in a 'wet' bag after it has just gotten over an RI, I find a bit scary.
We had a BHP that had a terrible shed before egg laying, first bad she she had ever had.
We left her alone, has had a full great shed since...no problems.
I would do what buck said.......leave it alone now for a week or so and then try and feed.
I personally would keep it if it is fine now.

When you gotta go to the toilet,well ur gotta go!!!If the Woma has completely shed,leave alone for a week without any disturbance,except to clean,change water..After dark offer it a warm rat-mouse and hope it eats..Once they feel safe,secure etc they wont stop eating,Always stay in contact with the seller regardless..Hope all is good..

I see no issues with this snake from what you have described.

Snakes often get a raspiness when coming in to shed and sound much like they have a respiratory infection. If it is gone immediately after the shed it is no issue.

In future, if you suspect a snake has a respiratory infection DO NOT raise the humidity. High humidity is often the CAUSE of respiratory illness.

Also, find yourself a new (competent) Vet. NO respectable Vet would diagnose an animal over the phone with the advice that 'it will die overnight' - as you have since discovered, this is incorrect.

Not only does this vet advertise that she offers her services to reptiles she also has an after hours number to call for an emergency.She tore into me when i called her at 8:45pm to ask for advice as i thought my new fella was about to die, she was saying how people have to respect she too has life and crap like that. I have since called her back and thanked for helping me in no way at all :)

Last edited by a moderator:
micksta, sounds like you need to find a new vet with her having an attitude like that and poor diagnosis with little or no suggestions as to how to try and keep your woma alive when she thought it was going to die. Sounds like she cares more about herself than keeping your animal alive, its easy for a vet to say they offer a reptile service but that doesnt mean that they care or know enough about them. What area or city do you live in, some one might be able to recommend a vet that is worthy of your animals, good luck with everything and happy new year to all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back