Building my own enclosure - few questions

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

animush

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hello :)

Its almost time for my juvi stimson to move into a bigger home. Hes now over 60cm and still in a 30x30x30 glass cube. I would like to build him a bigger home within the next few weeks and just have a few questions for those of you who build their own enclosures.

Firstly, i know that 60Wx40Dx450H will be a decent enough size for an adult stimson, but what about possibly a pair in future? I am also unsure as to what thickness of wood to use, and should it have small feet so the base is raised off the surface by an inch or so?

I would like to build the enclosure from wood, as I have read that they are better at retaining heat than glass and stimsons are a desert snake. Does black wood retain heat better than white, and are there any negatives to using it?

I am planning to use sand as a substrate, approx 10cm to allow a few hills/burrows and generally more interesting terrain. I will be heating this from above with a heat lamp, but I am not sure if I also should heat from below or get a infa red lamp and just use 2 lights? or even just 1 decent heat lamp? Will this be something I should try by monitoring temps and just see what works? I am not planning on using a thermostat, and hoping to achieve a stable temperature by using low wat lamps.

Any advice on heating efficiently would be appreciated as this is my first snake I am still a bit of a noob. I am just using a heat mat under a glass tank for now, so have not any exp with more complicated set ups.

I am planning on having 2 intake vents low down on either side, and a wire mesh top (where the lamp+reflector will sit) possibly covered by a wooden hood with an exhaust vent on the rear, will this provide sufficient ventillation without the need for fans, and will the heat regulate okay?

I will probably also be fixing a thick branch at either end as a shelf.

Here is a rough sketch of my design so far, if anyone can suggest improvments or criticisms please go ahead. Please excuse my terrible/quick drawing its just so you get an idea of my design.

(updated simplified design, if it works don't change it right?)
sketch02.jpg

Sorry about such a long post. Thanks for reading and appreciate any advice you may have. I am sure I will have overlooked something so if anyone has some detailed info on the subject please share it :)

Cheers,

Patrick

Last edited:
Patrick ,
I would scrap any exhaust fans , they will be a complete waste of money ... the two vents you have will be plenty .
Keep in mind too the mesh on top will be a allowing a lot of your heat out , i would seriously reconsider even using it at all .
I would use ground heat for stimmis , no need to do any thing fancy with light set ups etc , unless you want a light wattage day light / view light ..

Black or white melamine wont make any difference to holding heat .

Thanks for your input dickyknee, I've had another thought tonight for a slightly different design using a different kind of heat source, which would allow me to scrap the whole top part and basically just leave myself 30-50mm in top for insulation/cables for the light, and using a low power infa-red or heat light 24/7 inside to heat the air and basking site, can you use heat cord underneath a wooden box as long as its getting some ventillation (ie 1-2cm gap under tank) or maybe shield it with a thin piece of tin/slate? any suggestions appreciated i'm not sure how best to heat the ground for a stimmi.

Thanks!

Honestly mate just use one heat source either a globe,mat,heat cord,heat panel etc. i prefer globes (just make sure you put a cage around it).

After some thought I will probably just go with the one infa red heat bulb and natural light and see how the temps go, adjusting accordingly. The less ventilated wooden enclosure and basking rocks should absorb and retain the heat very well. Keep it simple and less can go wrong imo.

i have updated my original design with this in mind here is a rough sketch and first post updated.
sketch02.jpg

I would really appreciate any input on the new design or the heating solution based on this design.

Cheers!

Patrick

Scrap the branch, I know some stimmi's will climb but these are ground dwelling snakes so you want to use something that similates this. So using this as a basking spot isn't a great idea.

I would go heat cord under some tiles, i've done this in the past. Herp Enclosures Design - Tiling and Heat Tape This is the basic design just change it to match yours.

Benefit about using heat cord to is you wont need a thermostat, just make sure one end is clear of heat.

I would also scrap the timber in favour of some interesting rocks. You could get a bit creative, use a flat rock, like shale or something simular, with the heat cord underneath. You could then get a few other rocks to make a hide by placing them in a row to hide a corner. your snake will go over the top and curl in the corner. Be careful of piles of rocks though, snakes are strong and if they dislodge your pile it could end in disaster!

I would suggest you dont use sand in the enclosure. If you look take a look at the care sheets from DEC it says not to use sand as it can harbour disease. A few people in WA have had inspections from DEC and got into trouble.
If you wish to build an wooden enclosure, ask bunnings to ordewr for you plastic track from Icon Plastics it is cheaper than the on they sell on the shelf. They also have little round vents avaliable 2 on each side of an enclosure you are considering should be ample.
If you wish to use this enclosure at a later date for 2 stimsons, I would suggest making the enclosure a bit larger on floor area. If you are concerned about it being to big for a small snake as some people are include a few extra hides. My reasoning for this is snakes in the wild have a huge enclosure but they also have a lot of places to hide.
I agree one heat source should be ample.
Another reason for a larger enclosure is that it is easyer to create a thermal gradient, and if done correctly can be built without a thermostat. Not using a thermostat is controversial but I have found when thermostats blow most run flat out and the temps get to high. If you use the correct size globe or heat source it can run flat out all the time without temps getting to high or low.
I would not use an exaust fan or mesh at the top.
Instead of a heat lamp, I would use a ceramic light fitting the ones with a base of about 90mm diameter I find good as the protect the wood from the heat of the light, just make sure you place a cage around it to stop the snake coiling around the light and getting burnt.
As for the thickness of the wood I think its 16mm melamine is a good size, you can also buy the iron on edging to neaten up the cut edges. I personally find the thicker the glass doors the less heat is lost through them, I use 6mm and if you look around it is not that much more expensive than 3mm or 4mm
Hope this helps
Andrew

Thanks for the input so far, I really appreciate it. Giving me some good ideas, will probably make it to bunnings today to see whats available but I now have a much better idea what Im getting.

Any more tips keep them coming please :)

Hi could some people post some pics of their home made enclosures
Also can you use real timber to make it look a bit nicer ?

Thanks in advance tassie97 :)

IMG_0706.JPG

IMG_0704.JPG

IMG_0702.JPG

IMG_0382.JPG

If you build an enclosure from real timber be carefull what type of timber you use, I have beedn told some are not suitable.
You also need to seal natural timber

Thanks for your guidence winny111 here is a pic of what I knocked up this afternoon, total cost so far about $40 from bunnings, and about an hour to cut/assemble.

03012011137.jpg
edit: in this pic it looks like the edging is unsealed at the front, but its all been edged.

I've sealed all the insides with a bit of silicone, and the rear vent is also fixed in place with silicone, so should not be possible for an animal to remove.

I still need to get some glass for sliding doors (i have decided on sliding glass) and going to try and get some ceramic ES fittings from middys as I believe they stock them, if not will need to order online and wait a few days, will need to order some cages too. Any suggestions on where to find glass in Perth, and/or get it cut too?

Im probably just going to put in the 1 light and fitting, as I think that will be sufficient for this small enclosure, but the temptation to install 1 day and 1 night light is high. Thoughts anyone?

Also, to disinfect/clean just a quick spray with pine-o-clean or something should be ok yea?

Cheers!

Last edited:
I am pretty keen on getting an exo tera solar glo bulb or simillar (herp shop has its own model too), as it seems to do everything. light, heat, uva, uvb, etc.
linky

Any thoughts on this type of bulb for the size of my viv? I know some people just use regular bulbs from bunnings or wherever, are these just as effective?

I am going to see if I can get ceramic sockets from middys today, if I want to check prices on bulbs from there, what do I need to look at for a heat/light bulb. I assume if i ask for a self-ballasted mercury vapour bulb they might not use those terms?

Cheers!

Last edited:
If you want a self ballasted murcury vapour bulb you will pay quite a bit, lamp replacements have them.
I use a R80 incandecent 60 or 75 watt globe depending on time of year.
Enclosure is starting to look good, better than that little glass box.
What size did you end up making the enclosure.

Thanks, I ended up getting a few ceramic fittings from middys today for $5 each, and got a globe @ the pet shop, went with a sunglow spotlight which should not be too powerful for this small tank.

Exact measurments are slightly different from what I originally designed, but silly me, I had forgotten to account for the width of the wood once assembled! All good however, its still approx 595Wx400Dx445H. This turned out to be very simple to construct as the melamine sheets at buttings come in 1800x595 and 1200x445 which meant only 3-4 cuts necessary for 4 sides and a top and bottom.

Will put up another few pics once I get the glass on and wire in the sockets (couldn't be bothered doing that today) then perhaps a few more once it is occupied :)

Will put up another few pics once I get the glass on and wire in the sockets (couldn't be bothered doing that today) then perhaps a few more once it is occupied :)

I am surprised the resident forum police have not pulled you up yet for the wiring comment.

PLease dont use pine o clean to clean the enclosure- try Repticlean or something designed for reptiles that wont irritate or harm your snake. Also if you build more in the future try to put air veDSCF1596.JPGnts opposite each other on the sides - 1 up high near the heat source and the other low on the other side to create a heat vacuum which enables air flow.DSCF1627-1.JPG

PLease dont use pine o clean to clean the enclosure- try Repticlean or something designed for reptiles that wont irritate or harm your snake. Also if you build more in the future try to put air vents opposite each other on the sides - 1 up high near the heat source and the other low on the other side to create a heat vacuum which enables air flow.

Thanks for the input, I am considering another vent on the lower left side (and will use a simillar design to yours on any more I make) but will see how temps go with the glass on. Right now temp gradient seems ideal with a single 75W sun glow lamp :)

Thanks for the pics too, I especially like the second one.

DIY wiring is a big NO-NO.

I understand that if u don't know what ur doing it can be potentially dangerous, but even though im not licenced as a sparky, if my wiring was ever inspected you would not be able to tell its not a pro job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back