Reptile Keeping Laws

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mrhoyo

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what the different laws are regarding reptiles in Australia? I have a feeling they differ in each state.
I'm from the UK, we don't really have any laws on them except the Dangerous Wild Animals act which requires you to have a licence if you want to keep any front fanged venomous, crocodilians, gilas/beadeds and other dangerous animals.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

In a nutshell - Most states require a basic license to keep animals from the "basic" list and an advanced licence to keep animals from the "advanced" list. Different states have diferent lists. Only Australian natives may be kept. Animals have to be obtained from a legit source - normally breeders but there is some wild caught - and require documentation (which may cost). WA and Tasmania don't allow reptiles to be imported.

That's great, any idea where I can find out what's on the different lists?
In the NSW Class 2 description it mentions having to have kept Class 1 reptiles for over two years. How would they know what I've kept?

You have to inform them what you purchase and and then in WA at least, send in regular returns stating what you have, whats died, whats laid ETC

MrHoyo, you keep records, like an accounting system, what comes in and what goes out. On the book you have the license numbers of the people being transferred from/to.

Some states require you submit it yearly, NSW will have a record of what you have kept.

dont move to tasmania it is no good if you want pythons but heaven for people that like vens

I think a licence is a good idea, stops people going and stealing from the wild. It's a shame you can't import things though, I'd love to bring some of my stuff with me if I moved over.
Anyone know where I can find the lists?

In a nutshell - Most states require a basic license to keep animals from the "basic" list and an advanced licence to keep animals from the "advanced" list. Different states have diferent lists. Only Australian natives may be kept. Animals have to be obtained from a legit source - normally breeders but there is some wild caught - and require documentation (which may cost). WA and Tasmania don't allow reptiles to be imported.

Actually we can import any reptiles that are on our keepers list. The import ban is only on pythons, because DEC think all your stock it riddled with ibd /ompv :rolleyes:

Actually we can import any reptiles that are on our keepers list. The import ban is only on pythons, because DEC think all your stock it riddled with ibd /ompv :rolleyes:
Really?

so you can import the species you naturaly have there from other states i thought the whole point was to just keep what you have there so there is no introduced desise thats a bit weird

So if I lived in Australia I could import, say, some German bred carpet pythons?

Not from outside of Australia...So you need a licence here in Aus(QLD)..Gee im way behind,better do something about this,before they come knocking...

Not from outside of Australia...So you need a licence here in Aus(QLD)..Gee im way behind,better do something about this,before they come knocking...
What about something like lizards? I missed the bit about pythons when I last replied.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back