IMPORTATION part 2

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should Tasmanians be able to import Australian pythons?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
There is much more than bunnies that they could eat. Tasmania has amazing wildlife. Why risk ruining it?

Not much of Tassie at all gets down to -10 deg C. I have spent years bushwalking through it in all seasons, organising & taking groups through it. Admittedly not much could survive in the alpine highlands, but along the eastcoast from St. Helens north through to the North-West coast through the asbestos ranges (sorry, cant remember the name change) following through a wide band along the North West coast, Diamonds & Coastals could quite easily survive as the winter temps are quite mild & summer temps can rival Queensland on a regular basis.
I don't think that a simple poll on a forum is going to change anyone's opinion, but good luck. A feasability study to ascertain possible areas of feral (escapee) habitation would be my first step. Information for the last 10 years should be easy enough to gather through any of the myriad of weather sites.
Getting to know the government & greenies objections is also high on the list. Find them out & find some strong answers for them. If you approach it in the proper manner, who knows what is achievable.
But a poll which is full of mainlanders telling Tasmanians what they should do! Good luck but no Tasmanian is going to listen to that or even take it seriously. It has to be shown to be a Tasmanian initiative or it doesnt stand a chance.
By the way, my 2 cents worth is they should be allowed. The minimal amount that do become feral will not impact the enviroment any more than feral populations do throughout Australia. Tasmanian wildlife is also used to avoiding 7ft - 9ft Tigers who can eat almost anything they wish. I have seen bigger & used to own a treated skin that was a touch over 13ft from a specimen that was killed on the road near Purtons Flats, south of the Dial ranges, so I don't think a few feral pythons is going to impact that much.
Good luck with your endevours!

Personally I think we should be more open to tassie exports. Tasmanian Tree Frog. Purple! Must have but can't :(

I vote yes, let em have some pythons. There's no more chance of a python escaping there then there is a diamond escaping in QLD, oh and a little P.S...you say its so sad that everyone's first thought about a snake is a shovel, but then you love the "only good cat is a dead cat" Signature? Pretty much the same thing LOL, and no im not comparing soldiers to road kill

Thankyou for you coments people

What native wild life would pythons actually eat? There is the bandicoot but it would be much easier do it to get a rabbit than a bandicoot there are loads of rabbits here

Well cats are feral and not native to Australia

---------- Post added 05-Jan-11 at 05:47 AM ----------

Personally I think we should be more open to tassie exports. Tasmanian Tree Frog. Purple! Must have but can't :(
Jv

Umm so you say no to Tasmania having mainland animals but it's ok for mainlanders to have Tasmanian herps

I don't get it I just think you think what's best for you is what is best

---------- Post added 05-Jan-11 at 10:45 AM ----------

any more coments or questions?

---------- Post added 05-Jan-11 at 03:56 PM ----------

anyone?
talk-anyone.jpg

Last edited:
No,

The reason they arnt allowed has absolutly nothing to do with people not liking snakes because you only have venemous animals native to the area, the reason is the exact same as to why we cant import exotics onto the mainland, I believe you are a bit uneducated on this subject and dont really think this petition will help your cause very much

Scorps

I didn't say that Tasmania shouldn't be aloud imports. I said earlier that I think they should loosen up.

No,

The reason they arnt allowed has absolutly nothing to do with people not liking snakes because you only have venemous animals native to the area, the reason is the exact same as to why we cant import exotics onto the mainland, I believe you are a bit uneducated on this subject and dont really think this petition will help your cause very
much

umm so scorps are all your herps native to your area ??? how would you like it if you wasn't allowd to keep pythons and the best lizard is a blue toungue ? ha we got it tough down here me along with lots of other tasmanians just love reptiles yet there is not much for us to play around with we cant sell or buy (it illegal) so all herps have to be caught in the wild (which i dont perticulary like as you dont know health issue ect.)

so everyone just think about that

Tassie97 :)

umm so scorps are all your herps native to your area ??? how would you like it if you wasn't allowd to keep pythons and the best lizard is a blue toungue ? ha we got it tough down here me along with lots of other tasmanians just love reptiles yet there is not much for us to play around with we cant sell or buy (it illegal) so all herps have to be caught in the wild (which i dont perticulary like as you dont know health issue ect.)

Import yourself here then. I feel sorry for anyone that has to be imported to Tasmania..lol

There is no use pissin and moaning on here about it as this will do nothing for what you want to gain!

What you struggle to understand (mainly because you are very young) is the complexities of bio security within each state and why things are this way.

If you understand the system and why it is this way it then gives you the tools to undertake submissions to the appropriate state authorities to try and have things changed!
You will need to be able to provide documented information to back up any arguements in favour of introduction of species not native to that state (Tas)

The other thing is that these things can take many years to possibly achieve
as there are many committies that you will have to wade through plus you will find it will take an act change within state parliament(add more years for this alone)

Last edited:
Ok everyone the main reason I made this thread was to see what peoples thoughts are and if there would be protest if it goes through and many people don't know tas laws and it was just to say hay tassie matters too cause tas misses out on lots of things

Thank you everyone for voting and putting your views forward

Tassie97

Thankyou for you coments people

What native wild life would pythons actually eat? There is the bandicoot but it would be much easier do it to get a rabbit than a bandicoot there are loads of rabbits here

Well cats are feral and not native to Australia

---------- Post added 05-Jan-11 at 05:47 AM ----------

Jv

Umm so you say no to Tasmania having mainland animals but it's ok for mainlanders to have Tasmanian herps

I don't get it I just think you think what's best for you is what is best

---------- Post added 05-Jan-11 at 10:45 AM ----------

any more coments or questions?

---------- Post added 05-Jan-11 at 03:56 PM ----------

anyone?
talk-anyone.jpg

Yeh buddy pythons aren't native to Tasmiania either...

They are native to Australia and tas was attached to australia so therefore is part of Australia along with all of it's wildlife :)

Import yourself here then. I feel sorry for anyone that has to be imported to Tasmania..lol
Agreed. Been there hated it, know people who live there that want to move.

It would be interesting to find out when pythons disapeared from Tassie. No doubt they would have been there in the past. Does the local fossil record have any clues on this? An explanation of why they dont occur there naturally now could shed a lot of light on any possible implications for an escapee re-introduction. (maybe the tigers were feeding on them?)

BTW in the 1800s "Acclimatisation Societies" were at work in Tas and boa constrictors (dont know what species) were introduced unsuccessfully. Monkeys became a big issue in Hobart when they started mugging people.

I would import pythins from america if it was legal so yes, you should be allowed. However i also think there should be strict rules on your licensing so people dont go releasing them or accidently letting them escape. That way, you get your python and the enviroment stays safe :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back