Alexandarine,

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hazza

Reaction score
hi everyone, im thinking of getting an alexandarine, but i want to know a few things first.
are they good talkers?
are they aggresive?
and are they playfull?
thanks in advance:)

Hi Hazza
I have had a pet Alexandrine parrot, and I also breed them. Alexandrines do make great talkers, they can be aggressive once they are sexualy mature and can be playful when they want.
It all depends on how the bird is hand raised. Some people hand rear birds to make a quick buck, other people hand rear birds to be great pets. If you were in Adelaide I could put you in contact with some people who raise good quality birds. I recommend looking on petlink.com. there are heaps of people selling allsorts of birds from all parts of this beautiful country. You may have some luck finding a fellow Newcastle sider on there who has what you are looking for.
Conures can make great pets, playful and affectionate, but they do lack the ability to make great talkers.

Alex's can make great pets - I had one for 15yrs before it succumbed to cancer.

Gotta say though, if you're thinking of getting a bird for it's talking ability then perhaps you shouldn't get a bird.

Alex's can be great mimics, but it really comes down to the individual bird. You might end up with one that doesn't say a word. They're a very intelligent bird that can be taught a lot of clever behaviors, that includes playing. Typically not a species that enjoys cuddling or being touched, and Asiatics do require a lot of one on one time to maintain their tameness.

ALL male parrots, when sexually mature, tend to be protective of their perceived partner - that often comes off as 'aggressive' behavior. Females can be the same, but usually to a lesser extent.

Good luck, and keep researching!!

Ive got female who is a ok talker n great whistler.. N I was told females can't talk n if ur lucky they will whislltle a bit. I couldn't make her bite me if tryed! I origanly bought her as male but she never developed the ring! Males look the best but If u get it at a young age it is hard to tell

---------- Post added 05-Jan-11 at 03:18 AM ----------

Ow n she comes when u whistle n pat ur shoulder

alexandrine photos

Here are some picks of my breeding pair of Alexandrines. They have just started their malt, normally their tails are twice as long.

Attachments

• IMAG0153.jpg
    IMAG0153.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 78
  • IMAG0154.jpg
    IMAG0154.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 95
  • IMAG0156.jpg
    IMAG0156.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 76
  • IMAG0152.jpg
    IMAG0152.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 77
as everyone has mentioned all their good points i thought id just bring up a point that they can be quite destructive, ie eat furniture , we had a alexandrine who ate wooden curtain rings and the wooden edging that goes around windows and door ways and they can do this in a matter of minutes. So not adviseable to leave them for any period of time unattended in your house.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back