Infuriated by Ignorance

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scaler

Reaction score
I do not know anyone else who keeps reptiles, aside from who I chat to online and hold up in Pet stores. Nor do I come accross wild snakes often either. Even at the local RSPCA where I volunteer people recoil in horror when tell them what I have at home and I dont even have what would warrant a 'collection'!
When my friends and family initially heard I had decided to get a snake for a pet it took them a while to come round - literally, for some! :lol: But here I am, a mere couple of years later, and when my friends come over they say hello to Prism and Jester and even dont flinch if I happen to have one out when they arrive. Aside from hearing the old wives' tale about the snake 'sizing' its owner up in bed to eat it (tell me - who hasn't been told that one at least a hundred times!) I am often asked any miriad of questions - what are they like, what do they eat, are they friendly, how do they behave... etc, etc, etc (yes, I have even been asked whether they eat vegetables! :D )
I dont consider myself an expert by any stretch, but I like to think I have contributed to the education of my small network of people in the spirit of education being vital to many of my passions regarding environmental issues and general animal welfare.

And then this happens.
A close friend of ours who is now more than happy handling one of our pythons and has learned a lot with us, works as a mechanic down in a factory strip out east. He came round after work a week or so ago pretty down, and over a Jack or two tells us about his day, where a 'black snake' had ventured to the back of the strip of factories and been spotted by a co-worker.
How exciting! I originally thought - if only I had been there!
It wasnt long before a group had congregated around it and when my friend saw them he tried to convince them - go inside, shut the door and it will be long gone by the time you come out later. He wanted them to leave it so he could call us and find out who to call to get it removed.
But fear had mixed with testosterone. Under the guise of 'we dont want it to get into the sheds' they decided to behead it.
I'm proud of my mate. He argued, and when they didnt listen refused to be a part of it - dare I be glad that I have at least impacted one person's reaction?
No where near a happy ending though.

Just wanted to vent. Stigma that leads to this kind of destruction just infuriates me.

Most of my friends and family were the same initially.. It took about 6 months to convince my fiancé to let me get a snake, but once he held out little spotted for the first time he fell in love. He is now the one pointing out all the new snakes he'd love to get.. =) As for family, my mum and my sister were terrified, but since we had a near escape in the early days my mum has a soft spot for the spotted.. =) We now have 2 Spotted's, and a jungle and my friends always ask how they are and are fascinated to know all about them. To the point that some of them are even considering getting a snake of their own. =)

There are however still the ones who have to make the typical threats, and of course the age old "only good snake is a dead snake" comment. I just turn around and ask them (mostly big, tough, testosterone driven men) why they are so afraid of a little snake?
Funniest part of all is seeing the big "men" squirming while my 3 yr old cousin walks around with the jungle draped around his neck.. =D

if your mate had threatened to call the authorities and informed them of he legalieites and fines involved the outcome might have been different,...

i would have been taking photos and stuff to pass onto the proper authorities, gone to court as a witness etc to say it wasnt endangering anything and that they went out of their way to kill a protected animal,....and that they were fully aware their actions were illegal.

people eh,..... :(

if your mate had threatened to call the authorities and informed them of he legalieites and fines involved the outcome might have been different,...

i would have been taking photos and stuff to pass onto the proper authorities, gone to court as a witness etc to say it wasnt endangering anything and that they went out of their way to kill a protected animal,....and that they were fully aware their actions were illegal.

unfortunatly i highly doubt they would be prosecuted, whats to stop them saying they felt threatened by the snake being there?

of course its unlikely they'd get prosecuted, but the threat of it might have made them back off,....

I think I can top that, but with a happier ending.
At Yarrie mine site in the Pilbara a drunk idiot smashed a Pilbara Olive's head in with a brick. Snakes such as this were common in the camp and highly regarded by the camp locals. Apparently (I would have loved to have been there), the guy got beaten up himself, kicked out of the camp, and threatened with prosecution (though I am not sure the latter prosecution came to fruition). Poor bloody snake though. At least the guy copped what was coming to him.

How is that a happier ending? Not only was a snake killed but assault was also committed. Violence begets violence

The government and authorities view on such matters is indifference basically, as they basically put it they have bigger fish to fry and more important matters to police. Animal cruelty happens everyday and sadly that will never change and the general public are fearful of animals which could bring harm to them, this view will also never change. Put it down to **** happens and get over it. If you want to advocate animal welfare open up an animal refuge that can take in the thousands of domesticated and pet animals abandoned and abused each year.

unfortunatly i highly doubt they would be prosecuted, whats to stop them saying they felt threatened by the snake being there?
Its worse than that, I know a cop that had friends come around and shoot snakes on her property. using a gun which is long range proves that she was in no immediate danger and being a police officer means she should at least have some respect for the law.

Do many of you come across wild reptiles often? Deliberately or accidentally?
My only encounter was at the start of high school, we used to walk home and had to cross this little bridge by a lake just outside the school's property. Basking out on the grass was a RBBS. I must have damn near stepped right over it because a girlfriend behind me screamed and when I turned around it was right behind me.
No big event - it just continued on its way and into the shrubbery but I do remember being blown away by its colorful belly :)
Its unfortunate that more people cannot at least react with something closer to indifference, rather than violence. And eracer, whilst I guiltily share your satisfaction that the guy didnt 'get away with it' so to speak I do agree with steve1 that violence does, indeed, begat violence and if there were less of it the incident may not have happened at all.

Put it down to **** happens and get over it. If you want to advocate animal welfare open up an animal refuge that can take in the thousands of domesticated and pet animals abandoned and abused each year.

If only I had the money... I'll try not to be offended by the fact that I only volunteer my time to a refuge and dont out-right own one ;)

By the by, I love this:
but once he held out little spotted for the first time he fell in love. He is now the one pointing out all the new snakes he'd love to get.. =)
haha! so true! My other half was exacty the same! Now he's the one with the reptile wish list for whats next :D Not only am I given permission but also encouragement! haha!

No offense, but I doubt that he, or anyone in that position, is going to take photo's, call the authorities, fight for a prosecution, and then stand up as a witness against thier workmates, sacrificing their job in the meantime. Apart from getting physical, the best thing he could do was not take part. Maybe he could slowly educate the other " beings" on the advantages of snakes, especially if he's got a friend in the hobby.

The ONLY thing to do is keep an eye on it and call a catcher. Tell him that for next time.
Find one close by and give him the number to put in his phone.

No offense, but I doubt that he, or anyone in that position, is going to take photo's, call the authorities, fight for a prosecution, and then stand up as a witness against thier workmates, sacrificing their job in the meantime. Apart from getting physical, the best thing he could do was not take part. Maybe he could slowly educate the other " beings" on the advantages of snakes, especially if he's got a friend in the hobby.

u know, even the most horrible violent people try and avoid cameras when theyre beating the hell out of someone, so ofcourse taking pics would have some effect on them. not that it would ever even get to court, but it could have made them hesitate and leave it alone.

i said i would have taken photos, i really cant see how anyone could get fired for that.
as far as standing up as a witness, it would never get that far cos its 'just a snake',...

I don't get why people say 'the only good snake is a dead snake' when you've just finished telling them you keep snakes as pets... I'm blunt, so I tell them I wish their pets were dead too... watching the reactions is funny, and if they kick up a stink about it I remind them that they just said exactly the same thing to me. Makes them think about it! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back