what number of snake does it become cheaper to breed food

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I let the mouse run free on a bench and when the angle is right I hit it with a special tool (a small, thin saw blade held up side down).
If I was to go, I wouldn't mind to go this way. New surroundings, you look around, sniff the air and ........ you're in heaven (not me! I'll be in hell). LOL

Here we go, from saving money to killing techniques. Lets get back on track.

Last edited:
any chance you could put up pics on your rack and info on how you built it? I have 1 colony of mice (1 male 2 fems) currently, just regular mice and am soon to set up a supermice colony (1 male 5 fems) so along with grow out tubs i would probably be best off making myself a small rack

can do mate. Its built out of just any old wood that we had left over from a previous project. It's bolted together and has some support beams across the back to hold it up straight. It's basically as simple and as cheap as it could be while still doing the job. Then we got the tubs from store like cheap as chips (you know the sort) and then we cut the lids and put wire mesh on the top, and then made a spot for the water and food (see the picture). The growout box is basically the same thing, just larger. It was all easy, cheap, and we have had great success with it (averaging 10 per litter everyone 12 weeks).
Hope thats answers the question. if not, shoot away

Attachments

• DSC_0010.jpg
    DSC_0010.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 77
  • DSC_0011.jpg
    DSC_0011.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 62
  • DSC_0012.jpg
    DSC_0012.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 58
Whilst on the "mice topic" what is the largest mesh that can be used for the lids for them?
Would (approx) 1cm squared stuff be ok?

Ive bred mice and rats for a few years and really should have from the beginning. It can be labour intensive (im feeding about 50 snakes i think) but its well worth it. I tend to smack their head on a hard surface though the cervical dislocation method is a lot cleaner but takes a bit of practice.

I feed a mix of mice, rats and day old chooks to keep up and use a lot of the mice feeding the monitors.

I breed rats and only have 1 snake. Soon to be three though... Either way I bred rats in the past when I only had 2 snakes. Rats in my opinion are the best to breed. They honestly smell the least and produce the largest varity of sizes (unless you need rabbit sized prey) and the largest liters. They also make the best/smartest pets. I only breed one pair. I raise them to 4 weeks, then kill and freeze them. After I have a bunch building up. I start selling them. This is why I breed fancy rats. I have one blue bumbo Rex and one hairless blue dumbo. So I have sell them as pets (usually 7$ a rat) then if I can't find pet homes I sell them for 1-2$ each, and even then if I can't sell them by 5 weeks I kill freeze them. Start looking for homes before they reach the size you need uncase somebody wants a smaller size for food. If you get to many separate them and stop breeding for a while. There gestiation is only 21 days..

There easy to kill with just a stick. (a drum stick works well) and it separates the vertebra if you apply it on the back of the neck if you lay them down. Sadly/luckily it's super easy because they are naturally so tame.

my petshop sells bags of 5-10 and 15-30 and the most expensive is the rats (not jumbo or large just rats)
30 rats for 39, is this expensive?

the pet shop here takes about $22 for a medium sized rat. Albeit he also charged me $250 for a bearded dragon, which I later on realised would have cost me half that if we went to the petshop 10 minutes further away. So yes we have started breeding rats too. Now it`s up to my mum to kill some off for my snake:( cause I will not do it

lol sounds like a good way to hone my ninja skills

I let the mouse run free on a bench and when the angle is right I hit it with a special tool (a small, thin saw blade held up side down).
If I was to go, I wouldn't mind to go this way. New surroundings, you look around, sniff the air and ........ you're in heaven (not me! I'll be in hell). LOL

Here we go, from saving money to killing techniques. Lets get back on track.

Whilst on the "mice topic" what is the largest mesh that can be used for the lids for them?
Would (approx) 1cm squared stuff be ok?

The 12 mm square mesh is too big. Hoppers and weaners can escape. You need to use the 5 mm stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back