Snails

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
yup the garden is the best place, buying them is a waste of money imo, collect and breed your own.

What about mystery snails wont they live long enough on the ground as food, They breed really fast.

Wouldnt risk it, people put down snail baits and you end up with dead herps. I suppose if you lived on property you could chance it.
yup the garden is the best place, buying them is a waste of money imo, collect and breed your own.

Snails bon appetite sounds like a good price. I just ordered 500g of frozen snails for $33 from a dif company, if your after frozen i could find out if i can add to my order as it doesnt get posted till monday.

should have specified, no matter where you collect the snails from you keep them for a minimun of 2 weeks before offering them to your herps. If they are baited they will die before the 2 weeks is over, if they live they are safe to feed. You can also buy tinned snails fro asian grocery stores, not sure what they are worth but might be worth looking into. If you are going through a few snails its probably an idea to breed them, its very easy to do, might do a care sheet on it and see if i can get it added to the wikki

snails arent actually as easy to breed and raise as you'd think, tubs need daily cleaning, within a couple of hours the walls are covered in crap again, the food i got was meant to be high in calcium but till i started adding a tsp of repcal to it they were eating each others shells and i was left with dying blobs of flesh,....gross.

to breed them you'd need a composting type setup cos the daily cleaning would remove the eggs.

easy to say catch them in ur yard, i havent seen a single snail in mine this year, mum has managed to collect the whole of 4 snails,...strange with all this wetness were having a snail drought in my area!

once their 'special food' runs out i'll be freezing the rest, they are such a pain to keep.

Why not try Aquarium snails they are easy to keep and breed. Great food for water dragons I reckon. But other than that I think they would stay alive outside of the water long enough to be eaten.

snails arent actually as easy to breed and raise as you'd think, tubs need daily cleaning, within a couple of hours the walls are covered in crap again, the food i got was meant to be high in calcium but till i started adding a tsp of repcal to it they were eating each others shells and i was left with dying blobs of flesh,....gross.

to breed them you'd need a composting type setup cos the daily cleaning would remove the eggs.

easy to say catch them in ur yard, i havent seen a single snail in mine this year, mum has managed to collect the whole of 4 snails,...strange with all this wetness were having a snail drought in my area!

once their 'special food' runs out i'll be freezing the rest, they are such a pain to keep.

do you actually have any experience keeping/breeding snails? It seems not so might be best not to give advice on things you clearly know nothing about. There is nothing hard about keeping or breeding garden snails, cleaning is only needed once every 1-2months, the slime is harmless so you dont have to remove it as soon as it it deposited. As for the lack of calcium that is quite unusual, i have never encountered that even on thick shelled species fed on a natural diet, ditch the premade food its obviously rubbish, food such as lettuce, cabbage, mushroom, cucumber, zucchini, pumpkin, squash and carrot are eagerly eaten by most snails and i give a piece of cuttle-bone to provide calcium which they chew on and only needs replacing every month or so. You can remove eggs to incubate but its far easier to leave them in the substrate to hatch naturally.

---------- Post added 06-Jan-11 at 08:52 AM ----------

Thanks for the advice all as for collecting them from the garden ive been told by the vet not to as they are crawling with parasites will have to try Snails Bon Appetite

parasites of gastropods will pose no threat to reptiles, parasites tend be be host specific so wild caught snails are of no threat to your pets unless they have been poisoned which is the purpose of the 2 week quarantine

---------- Post added 06-Jan-11 at 08:55 AM ----------

Why not try Aquarium snails they are easy to keep and breed. Great food for water dragons I reckon. But other than that I think they would stay alive outside of the water long enough to be eaten.

i'm pretty sure they are fine to feed to lizards but i'm not sure what their nutrition content is compared to regular snails but they seem great for turtles. They dont need to be alive either, you can freeze them and offered them thawed, they are eaten just as quickly as fresh snails

do you actually have any experience keeping/breeding snails? It seems not so might be best not to give advice on things you clearly know nothing about. There is nothing hard about keeping or breeding garden snails, cleaning is only needed once every 1-2months, the slime is harmless so you dont have to remove it as soon as it it deposited. As for the lack of calcium that is quite unusual, i have never encountered that even on thick shelled species fed on a natural diet, ditch the premade food its obviously rubbish, food such as lettuce, cabbage, mushroom, cucumber, zucchini, pumpkin, squash and carrot are eagerly eaten by most snails and i give a piece of cuttle-bone to provide calcium which they chew on and only needs replacing every month or so. You can remove eggs to incubate but its far easier to leave them in the substrate to hatch naturally.

---------- Post added 06-Jan-11 at 08:52 AM ----------

parasites of gastropods will pose no threat to reptiles, parasites tend be be host specific so wild caught snails are of no threat to your pets unless they have been poisoned which is the purpose of the 2 week quarantine

I gotta agree, a lady friend of mine used to breed heaps and was always trying to talk me into it...she used to sell them for eating and got really good dollars. I actually supplied her with copper trip wires which we strung around the toip of corrugated iron (like raised garden beds) bins to prevent them escaping. Whilst they were very easy to keep and bred very fast, she couldn't keep up with demand.

There you go, I would do it had I the lizard big enough. Guess I can buy some for my sisters turtles.

go for a walk when it rains, you'll be right

we get at least 60 every time it rains, but we make them fertilizer

do you actually have any experience keeping/breeding snails? It seems not so might be best not to give advice on things you clearly know nothing about

i would have thought you could find ur answer to that in my preious post, but since u obvoiusly have trouble reading i'll make it really simple for you to understand.

i have been raising 1kg of snails from snails bon appetit for 3 months now have had nothing but problems,...

you might be happy to feed ur lizards snails that are living in 2 months worth of their own filth,but im not.

i was planning on breeding them (and it did look easy from the research i did, but i wasnt prepared for how gross the tubs get) with how much im hating them its not going to happen.

maybe im doing something wrong to be having these probs, i just thought i'd share my personal experience. (i believe thats still allowed)

I have heaps of snails, they breed in my mailbox and my blue tongues have been eating them for months,,, nothing wrong with them and they seem to breed like crazy.

should have specified, no matter where you collect the snails from you keep them for a minimun of 2 weeks before offering them to your herps. If they are baited they will die before the 2 weeks is over, if they live they are safe to feed. You can also buy tinned snails fro asian grocery stores, not sure what they are worth but might be worth looking into. If you are going through a few snails its probably an idea to breed them, its very easy to do, might do a care sheet on it and see if i can get it added to the wikki

If you do a caresheet can you PM me a copy or post in this thread? I'm pretty keen to breed snails as we have none in the gardens around where I live.

If you do a caresheet can you PM me a copy or post in this thread? I'm pretty keen to breed snails as we have none in the gardens around where I live.
Snails prefer temperatures under about 30c and so do not do well in Northern Australia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back