Snake I.D Please!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

reptilife

Reaction score
snake.JPGMy friend came home to find this snake dead on her driveway.
She has no idea what happened except that someone visiting may have run over it,
or someone has thrown it there as a "joke".

She lives in a rural area (Northern Vic) but has never seen a "black" snake like this. Is it an RBB? To my un-trained eye it appears to be more likely a Tiger.

Can anyone help?

Last edited:
Sorry... it's not letting me post a photo....

I'll keep trying!

---------- Post added 07-Jan-11 at 10:53 PM ----------

Aha! There you go! Sorry Guys....

could also be a small eyed snake. although most southern small eyed's are usually not as black.

i thought that aswell but there is coulor on the flanks witch isnt on small eyeds as far as i know

---------- Post added 07-Jan-11 at 11:14 PM ----------

how big was the snake lol

Copperhead. They are completely black on top in Southern NSW/Northern Victoria. You can see how stocky the body is compared to a RBB

my vote is a nice fat small eyed snake. the ventral colour is fitting rather than an eliminating factor. His head shape seems fitting of a small eyed snake as does his eye size, shape and position. He doesn't appear to have the 'cranky eyebrows' of the RBBS or the blunter nose.

comparison.

snakeid.jpg

oops... the RBBS is the top comparison, the small eyed snake is the bottom comparison.

Pseudechis porphyriacus....not a copperhead or tiger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back