Scorpions Pregnant?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jaclyndaniel

Reaction score
S6300415.jpgS6300418.jpgS6300432.jpgS6300413.jpg

Hey
Here are my Flinders Range Scorpions. I would like to know if the first two of the the females are pregnant?
I put the others up so you can have a look at my other two.

Help is appreciated :)

Cheers

So you think they are?
WOW, is there anything I should be doing except the usual routine.

---------- Post added 08-Jan-11 at 05:02 PM ----------

Oh you mean no they are not, they are about to moult sorry read it wrong.
Does anyone else have any opinions? And what can i do to help the moulting, do i just stick to the usual routine im following?

If it is already a mature female it's gravid.
It depends what the usual routine is. Either way you'll need to provide it with moist substrate under a large flat rock and not disturb it when it closes itself underground. Not enough moisture will either (a) kill it if it is moulting or (b) kill the babies before they harden up. Disturbing the female while she is carrying the babies on her back may cause her to eat them.

firstly, the correct term is "gravid" not "pregnant"
The 1st 2 scorpions are immature specimens (5th instars) That are about to moult into adults (so no,they are not gravid) The 3rd scorpion is an adult female (possibly gravid)and the 4th one is an adult male..
You may want to have a look at this forum as well www.inverts.com.au
There are plenty of scorpion fans there..
How long have you been keeping scorpions and are you able to upload some enclosure pics?

Ive been keeping them for a few months now. All I do is put a cricket in weekly and take out the dead cricket after its been killed and I can put pressure on it and it just flattens (hollow). Ill load some pics up soon of their enclosures.
Cheers for the help by the way.
Btw how do I make the soil moist, is the best way to mist the enclosure?

All I do is put a cricket in weekly and take out the dead cricket after its been killed and I can put pressure on it and it just flattens (hollow)

if your pulling out dead crickets, hollow or not, your scorpion is not eating them. Do they leave the whole cricket or just a bit of it?

Probably the easiest way it to make a false bottom setup, it greatly reduces the frequency you have to add water and it provides a water gradient in the soil. If your not using a false bottom them i recommend misting one side only when it dries out, they need access to both moist and dry areas. Make sure you provide a few hides at both ends and dont disturb them, if you dont see your scorpion for weeks just leave it be, its probably molting or giving birth/with young. Disturbing a scorpion during a moult can have fatal consequences

okay, ill be misting as of today then. Also to answer you question usually they are like 1/4 eaten

just noticed you said you feed weekly, that explains why they eat so little, only need to be fed every 3-4weeks. For adults a large meal will do them well over a month

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back