Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Regularity and frequency of feeding depends on several important factors:
1. Species of snake
2. Reproductive condition of snake
3. Size of prey item
4. Health and condition of animal

Australian pythons have the lowest metabolic rate of any boid snakes. However, a scrub python the same weight as a diamond python will eat twice as much, so there is variation within our pythons. An active tropical elapid or colubrid snake will eat much more than any python could ever hope to, but a death adder can gain condition on much less. You also need to account for individual variation within a species, just like people, some snakes need to eat more than others to keep a healthy weight.

It is best to feed frequently and regularly (every week for several weeks) when putting condition on a snake, other than that irregularly and infrequently does more good than harm for most pythons. Periods of non-feeding each year will benefit a healthy captive snake by utilising excess fat reserves and encouraging foraging behaviours.

I feed my almost yearling Woma once a week. Alternating from 1 adult mouse - 2 adult mice every other week.

hatchies-yearlings every 7days..yearlings-sub adults every 10days ...adults every 14-21days..Also depending on the adults will be breeding that year,i may feed every 12-14days to put some mre condition on..If any dont feed i wait til the following week...Theres no set rule how often to feed pythons in captivity as there being fed ALOT more then they would in the wild...Obesity is a concern for reptile keepers..Pythons of different ages-sizes can go a long time between meals,no need to panic if there not eating everytime being offered...

All three of my snakes generally get fed weekly every 5-7 days... We usually wait til they have done a poo before filling them with any more food but....

2 woma hatchies - 2 pinkie rats each every 4 days
2 coastals(2 yrs) - 1 110g rat evey 7 days
1 female adult jungle - 2 150g rats every 5 days
1 male adult jungle - 1 175g rat every 10 days
1 murray darling(2 yrs) - 1 125g rat every 7 days
I have also just hatched 11 jungle hatchies that will be on pinkie mice/rats every 4 days(after they have had there first shed).

weekly for my yearling spotted, was feeding a fuzzy, if she is still hungry gave her another, generally she eats just one, now on pinkies.

Feed them every single day, without fail! If you don't their digestive system effectively consumes itself and your python will die ;).

juvy every 6 days , and my big adult coastal 4 years old a med bunny every 16 days

Our Bredli & Jungle Yearlings get fed 1 x large weaner (up to 70-80g now) every 10-14 days (varying depending on if they are in shed etc) both snakes are 108cm and 100cm respectively. I tend to let my Jungle go closer to every 2 weeks if anything.

When we got them at 5 months (Bredli) and 6 months (Jungle) they were offered first smallish, then larger fuzzies every 5-7 days for the first 2 months (Jungle was hard to get going, but that was down to me offering food that was too small) then they went onto larger feeds less frequently once they were fully settled in and we were more confident to give them larger feeds.

Shedding is every 5ish weeks with my Jungle and am happy with his growth rate. See no need to feed him more often.

I always note feeds, sheds and any extra info in Moose's Diary. I know when Moose gets hungry (after 10 days) as he starts "hunting" in the evenings and if I go to say hello he looks at my like I am dinner, so I usually feed him the next night... Rapture my partners Bredli on the other hand, is hunting 4 days after a feed but never looks at my partner like he is dinner, he's just keen :) LOL. If he could eat as much as he wanted he would be one OBESE yearling.

We prefer to feed larger items less often.

ok, well.
from my investigation and recommendations from very very experienced breeders/owners i now feed a lot less than previously, snakes are opportunistic feeders and most will eat when offerd, however, recent study's
and experience's from other breeders/owners such as Rico Walder, Nick Mutten , Justin Julander Marc Spataro etc etc have stated the vast majority of captive snakes are overweight due to regulated feeding routines this extra weight causes fat deposits in the organ cavity this is obviously bad. im not a scientist or pro herper but i believe what these men say, i have cut my feeding back to only when my snakes are displaying hunger or hunting poses EG. S'd up over the water or coiled ready to ambush and i have found i get stuck at less, and im feeding less...
i dont use this for hatchies i start where they hit yearling and they move about more they handle better and they are eating less.
at the herp symposium apart from conservation the main point i got was a fat snake even if its slightly fat is bad.

Nato

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back