Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tassieherps11

Not so new Member
Reaction score
The other day we (myself and my dad) were driving near a golf co**** in north Tasmania when we spot a blotched blue tongue crossing the road stood out like a you know what could see it ages away, anyway we missed it and was about to pull over to get the poor little guy off the road when another driver runs straight over it!! don't know if they just didn't care or didn't see it but it was hard not to see it.

Anyone else have stories like these?

---------- Post added 10-Jan-11 at 08:21 AM ----------

I don't know why course is stared out

Several weeks back, we came across a 4-5' lacey on the road, had been run over by a woman in a baby blue Landcruiser. Sadly he was euthanised by the local vet due to his broken back. It was heartbreaking.

SW, Lost count of the number of times I have seen snakes dead OFF to the side of the road where someone had swerved to hit them. I was in the midwest last year and saw a massive king brown on the side of the road. I pulled over to have a look and as well as having been run over, some heartless @#$@# had cut its head clean off. On another occassion I was driving at night from Wyndham to Kununurra in the Kimberley just after a rain storm in the middle of summer. There was clearly one or two vehicles ahead of us but this is an outback road and it was not busy. To this day I cant get over the number of half dead writhing pythons we had to stop and dispatch. It was like the car in front of us was just lining them up!!

We have a new coastal road over here in WA joining two towns (Lancelin and Cervantes). It goes through a national park. I had heard that the road deaths were catastrophic so I checked it out for myself. In less than 20km I saw a fresh dead South West Carpet (which is rare in the wild over here), a monster King Brown, a Western Brown, about 3 pogona and too many blueys and bobtails to count.

On a funny and vengeful note, in Rick Shines book Australian snakes, he tells the story of a guy who travels around with a bucket of nails in his car. If he finds a dead snake, he fills it full of these twisted nails and puts the snake just far enough off the road that drivers would have to swerve to run it over. You can guess the rest.

It ****** you off when people deliberately go out of their way to kill an animal that has done nothing wrong, but be reptile. You hear people say that the try to run reptiles over. I wonder what they would think if you told them you try to run over their family pet. Maybe they would see it from a different perspective. We should be happy that we have a great selection of native animal not try and kill them.

... If he finds a dead snake, he fills it full of these twisted nails and puts the snake just far enough off the road that drivers would have to swerve to run it over. You can guess the rest.
There is more than one person that does that - but we still need more!
As for road kill I see heaps of squashed animals through out the summer - its horrible

I've just come back from riding my motor bike around AUS, the amount of road kill I sore was insane!!! WA and the NT were the worst by far anything I could think of was dead, the only thing I didn't see on the side of the road was a person. My goal before I left was to catch and photograph a wild BHP I pulled over 12 times to find dead ones pretty devastating how much road kill there is. But that's why there are such healthy populations of whistling kites and wedge tailed eagles out there now. I could not believe the amount of dead shingle backs in Western Australia there was so many it's hard to describe :(

Its not just reptiles but I agree they get it worse ! I was driving in ACT (Wreck Bay) National Park last night spotted a 6ft diamond python crossing the road I pulled over and as I was getting it off the road a van packed (like 8 ppl in it) pulled over too and proceeded to tell me to "leave it alone , its its oiwn stupid fault if it gets hit " ...... hmmm well I ignored them and continued with what I was doin about a km up I saw this van again pulled over trying to catch a possum .. I called my boyfriend (for backup) who met me there and told these idiot to
"$%^# off" . Only to then find 6 dead bunnies and another possum OFF the road which I am assumin this van had swerved to hit out of anger that they couldnt catch the possum ... I hate people like this .... and in the national park too ! Im just glad I got the Diamond Python into a BIG tree and the first possum got to get away.... Wish Id tailed them and been able to save the bunnies and 2nd possum though . :( ..............People suck

(If he finds a dead snake, he fills it full of these twisted nails and puts the snake just far enough off the road that drivers would have to swerve to run it over. You can guess the rest.)- I LOVE this Idea !!!!!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back