Inbreeding in snakes

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brisbaneboy

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Is it safe to breed snakes that are related as in from the same clutch I have been told it is ok just wondering what every one else thinks

Yeah its fine(well that is the simple answer anyway). In most cases the only other option apart from inbreeding is catching some new blood(typically illegal) or hybridising.

Its possible that inbreeding can bring out reccesive disorders like amelanism and can be used to enhance polygenetic traits, so for this reason most reptile breeders think its great.

The hobby is based on inbreeding, without it there would be no morphs, no locality specific animals and in some species they wouldnt even be in the hobby

Snakes aren't like humans, or most other animals; you can pair them with their parents or siblings. I know a few people on this site who feel strongly against inbreeding...

Snakes aren't like humans, or most other animals; you can pair them with their parents or siblings. I know a few people on this site who feel strongly against inbreeding...

strongly against inbreeding is good enough as being strongly against the hobby. But as you said snakes (and most other reptiles) can be bred with their parents and siblings and i'm pretty sure a great deal of it would probably go on in the wild aswell so its probably a fairly natural thing

And what about lizards? Especially Dragons, I believe they can start to show Kinked tails and missing toes.etc at 3rd Gen inbreeding can anyone shed some light on this?

And what about lizards? Especially Dragons, I believe they can start to show Kinked tails and missing toes.etc at 3rd Gen inbreeding can anyone shed some light on this?

It will vary between differant animals and individuals but all go by the same genetic rules. Asian House Geckos dont seem to be troubled by inbreeding, but i have heard of inbreeding in some lizards being more likely to cause trouble.

Many are often misled to believe mammals cant be inbred in a healthy way, its absolute rubbish. Most domestic mammals are heavily inbred and can still be very healthy. Even humans started as a bunch of inbred apes moving out of north Africa.

It will vary between differant animals and individuals but all go by the same genetic rules. Asian House Geckos dont seem to be troubled by inbreeding, but i have heard of inbreeding in some lizards being more likely to cause trouble.

Many are often misled to believe mammals cant be inbred in a healthy way, its absolute rubbish. Most domestic mammals are heavily inbred and can still be very healthy. Even humans started as a bunch of inbred apes moving out of north Africa.

what about rats, mice, cats, dogs etc, all have been heavily inbred to be what they are today

sons can breed with mother in the equine world not to sure about father across daughter thou.

Well one thing is for sure no 3rd arm or leg will result or weird 6th toe thing, how interesting never thought of inbreeding with reptiles and the results ie morphs etc. Love learning something new :)

its important to be aware of any problems that might alos be passed on via genetics, as with any other animal, breed with strong healthy stock to produse healthy offspring,
breed with geneticly weak stock and produce deformed or weak offspring.

im all for line breeding (parent to offspring) and inbreeding (sibling to sibling) , but only if the stock used is geneticly sound, you see it all to often with pure breed dogs waht have various deformities, from hip displacment to over bites, clefted pallets and problems with the internal organs.

reptiles are no diffrent, it just takes more generations of line or in breeding to start getting the probmels surfacing. and somethimes there hard to identify.

the general rule of thumb is , 3 generations in, and then 1 generation out (introduce new blood to the mix) to prevent problems cropping up.

i heard today that you can only breed a dad with a daughter and grand daughter. is this true? is there a line you draw to inbreeding like how many generations you can do it for?

i think i just said that the widly accepted no of generations is 3 in and then you should introduce new unrealated blood.

So by parent to offspring you can breed dad with daughter mum to son? so neither way is unacceptable ? i mean offspring to them will be healthy?

yes that is caled LINE BREEDING
first gen unrealted pair male female
2nd gen son to mother or daughter to father
3rd gen son to mother or grand mother / daugher to farther or grand father
4th gen introduce unrelated animal to strengthen the blood line so the paring is 2 unrealted animals

in INBREEDING it is simple
1st gen unrelated paring
2nd gen sibling paring
3rd gen sibling paring
4th gen bring in unrelated blood

hope that clears it up

ah sweet thanks for that i have been told different so thanks for clearing that up. i have some hatchies that i didn't want to part with untill i knew for sure about this subject. thanks heaps.

no probs,
it is an effective tool for working on genetic traits in animals.
be they locality animals or morphs,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back