Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dazloe

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi guys and gals,

I have been looking through the forums for a couple of months, but I am finally buying my first snake and I have a few questions :)

I have been dealing with Coburg Aquariums and they have been really helpful, I put some money down on a Diamond python a couple of days ago. They are selling them for $800 which apparently isn't that good of a deal, but when I picked him/her up I just fell in love! I handled Bredli's and a few other snakes, but I knew this guy was a keeper, really adventurous, not nervous and looked me straight in the eye :) he/she is 5 months old and just shy of 50cm

I already have an enclosure and I am just about to deck it out in preparation to bring the little guy home, at the moment I am set on filling up the bottom with bark and having a corner filled with stones as a feeding area. I also want to get some wood so that the snake can get up high if he/she wants to, can anyone recommend somewhere to buy treated wood? The aquarium charges quite a bit and spending $100 for a piece of wood seems a little weird to me! (second hand is fine too)

Also the enclosure has ceramic fittings for a heat and UV light, I am thinking of a ceramic heat light and a standard UV light, what wattage (ha!) should I be looking for? the enclosure is 60cm high, 80cm across and 50cm deep.

I think that about does it, but if anyone has any suggestions that would also be great :) Sorry about the long write up ;)

Daz

If your after some branches for the enclosure, just go for a wonder into the bush and pick some. That way you can get the right size and look your after. If you want just soak the branches in the bath for a while and then dry them out.

Also Diamonds dont need alot of heat, not sure on the wattage you would need thou, prop just a 60 watt

Last edited:
diamonds actaully need to be kept quite cool so i would be getting a 60 watt globe, but u deffinitly want a thermostat. should aim for a bask spot in the mid-low 30's and try to keep the rest of the cage as cool as possible. diamonds dont do well with extreme heat or being kept at hotter temps like most carpet pythons do. i keep mine outside in an aviary the whole year, i live in sydney. but i think that heat thing and making sure they get adequate uv and it should be fine. btw 800 is heaps!!! i bought mine for 300 from a private seller and most are more than willing to give u pointers and tell u what u need to know to set it up. plus u would save alot of money :) for 800 u would be wanting a pretty spectacular one :p

that cage will eventually be too small though. and they love to climb so i always like a cage with a bit of height aswell. i keep 2 diamonds in a 6ftx4ftx3ft cage but its a bit overkill. with the new cage restrictions that will come out evetually that size would not be big enough. i would say u would ideally want a 120x120x60 enclosure. the bigger the cage the easier it is to keep it mostly cool with only a small hot spot :)

and u dont need treated wood, just grab some from the bush, make sure there is no bugs in it, maybe soak it in water to kill any and then put it in. its not like a fish tank :p

i think thats all :)

Thanks for the fast detailed responses! Luckily this enclosure is already armed with a thermostat :) And thanks again for the tips on branches and the like, buying something that falls off a tree never felt right... I thought $800 was quite a bit, but I really loved this particular snake and you can't put a price on that :) I don't intend for this snake to be the only one, so next time I will ask around, plus Coburg aquarium really helped me out so I feel like I owe it to them. Thanks again!

Congrats on choosing a Diamond Python, this was my second snake almost 10 years ago.... i still have him today!

$800 is very expensive as already said, they are being sold on this site and many others for approx $250 each! With that HUGE saving you can then buy a second and third snake!!

As said, they like to be kept cooler than the average python and a 60 watt would be more than sufficient for your cage.

If you want that specific snake use the information provided here to negotiate the price down or to bundle it with an enclsoure etc. as the start of a set-up for another snake

dude you are seriously getting ripped off you dont owe them anything, of course they will help you out when your gunna spend that amount of money at their shop. I know the snake might seem extra special but you should really consider hard bargaining with them and settle for nothing more than $500 if not there are heaps of quality hatchies on the market these days and lots of free information from the breeder comes with them for nothing over $300 just shop around a little. If your serious about getting more snakes $800 will buy you 3 decent diamonds or a trio of bredli, even greens are going under $1000 these days. These pet shop prices are a joke they buy the animals for half what their worth then mark up the price double or triple what it should be. Theres a shop up here with a 3 year old spotted at the moment asking $650 they are only targeting newcomers to the hobby because no one else would pay that price. cheers

wow you could buy an albino darwin for just more than that. pet shops are rediculous. honestly do some bargaining or tell them to stick it cause thats way to much for a snake that you know you can get for so much less. no offence.
i feel sorry for people just starting out, pet shops take advantage and just rip them a new one.

Thanks for the replies everyone! What a dilemma! I really did enjoy this particular snakes company, but now that I am checking out the prices of breeders on the forum it does seem very expensive! Are there any breeders in the melbourne area (within public transport) that have young snakes for sale? I am really torn, but I guess I should at least check out what else is on offer, any advice is also welcome!

PS. I am not clinging to the idea of a Diamond Python, it's just that this one had the best personality in the store....

Last edited:
seriously dazloe, even if you have put a deposit on this snake and may loose it if you pull out of the sale, you will still save money buying privately!

dazloe
Don't worry what all the critics say, you have chosen a very adorable snake.
Without hyping on there are many threads on this site as how to keep or not to keep Diamond Pythons.
Cheers
Ian.

I bought my diamond and had her shipped to me :) And she has the most fantastic temperament I could ever have hoped for. It really is a general diamond thing :) They are just very gentle ever-hungry beauties :) Even if you didn't end up getting more snakes, imagine the set up you could get for your diamond with the money you save :) I paid $200 for my gorgeous and the price did not mean lower quality... probably the opposite. The majority of breeders don't generally sell to pet shops and those that do usually sell the left overs they have been unable to sell. Even if you had to import a diamond from another state into victoria your expenses would still not exceed $400.
If you want a gentle snake with a good temperament diamonds and murray darlings tend to frequently top the list. Woma pythons also have a top notch temperament but have a strong feeding response. My diamond is a pig and loves her food but regardless of the fact that I just grab her out of her enclosure in a very similar manner to which I nudge her with her food to let her know its dinner time... she has never even nearly bitten me. And she always takes her food instantly and veeeery happily lol
Diamonds also need appropriate cooling to prevent diamond python syndrome :) Might want to look into that. Its not hard, there is a lot of debate over what its caused by... I chose to heed all available info and have a soft UV, a lower basking temp and intend to keep her cool over winter. :)

Thanks for the replies everyone! What a dilemma! I really did enjoy this particular snakes company, but now that I am checking out the prices of breeders on the forum it does seem very expensive! Are there any breeders in the melbourne area (within public transport) that have young snakes for sale? I am really torn, but I guess I should at least check out what else is on offer, any advice is also welcome!

PS. I am not clinging to the idea of a Diamond Python, it's just that this one had the best personality in the store....

For the money you will save, you could buy a cheap car and drive to pick it up, or Taxi, but that's no fun.

Having bred heaps of diamonds , I personally think they are the nicest natured python around.

Wow $800 is excessive for a juvenile. There is a pet store in Melb (I wont name) that has an yellow adult for $2,000! It's a nice looking specimen, but come on... That aside, best luck if you go with the Diamond, I have a pair and the male is my 2nd favourite snake, 2nd only to my favourite Olive. I've had them for just under a year, they seem happy and healthy but I'll leave the advice to the more experienced on here.

Yes I've seen that one for $2000!!! it's the petshop next to Queen Vic markets. RIDICULOUS!!!!

My lovely natured docile diamond just bit me again and spilt my blood!!!

xD jay, was it a feeding response or cage protective or? I have heard of cage protective diamonds... its hard to imagine :) Mine will even let me touch her head, I can hold it gently between my fingers or move her head so I can look at it closer. Call me crazy but its almost as though she likes it. I had heard of people overseas saying their pythons enjoy a scratch under the chin but I just laughed and thought it far fetched. I almost believe it now. My coast does not like his head being touched.

Oh btw OP, my first was a coastal carpet :) I got the diamond a month or two later.
The kind of person I am, having a more difficult personality snake to start was ideal. Im much more confident for having gone the coastal first :)

Thanks for the help everyone! I have decided to try and get my deposit back from the aquarium, hopefully they can at least give me a credit and then I can spend that money decking out the enclosure :) Also if anyone knows of anyone selling young BHP please let me know must be in melbourne or ship to melbourne, thanks again guys!

Mate you have done the right thing selling a young diamond for that amount of money is completely unethical and its an insult to the hobby. You may have found yourself regretting paying that much down the track. On a positive note they are a joy to own and as most have said have a pleasant inquisitive nature just do your research and find out as much as you can about the species before purchasing.

Thanks for the help everyone! I have decided to try and get my deposit back from the aquarium, hopefully they can at least give me a credit and then I can spend that money decking out the enclosure :) Also if anyone knows of anyone selling young BHP please let me know must be in melbourne or ship to melbourne, thanks again guys!

If you are getting a BHP, just remember they are food crazy. Awesome snake thou, they have heaps of attitude which is always good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back