Hi, One More Noobie..

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel15

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

Long time reader, first time posting.

Anyways abit about me.. I'm 27 from Sydney and about a year ago I went to Malaysia and got stuck into holding a snake for one of those tourist photos before I realised what was happening. Basically then my love for snakes and reptiles started and has since grown.

I have been cautious about getting a snake and even considered a blue tongue for a while (mainly because the better half does not like snakes at all) and I have decided to buy a stimsons. My partner is slightly reassured that it is amongst the smallest of the snake species here :)

I wasnt too prudent and as soon as I wanted a snake I started looking at enclosures so currently I have 4 enclosures and no snake. I may make use 2 for spiders and the other for geckos since the misses is only letting me have one snake anyways (but im actually pushing for two at the moment :D)

Can any one advise me if a 45 x 45 x 60 cm (WxDxH) terrarium is big enough for two stimmies? I plan to make a tree/plant liek feature in which they can climb and utilize the hight. Stimmies are semi - arboreal huh?

Anyways I hope I dont seem like a dunce. I didnt know really what to right but I decided its time to say 'Hi' anyways!

Some more things about me; I love reading, singing, chess, fencing. archery....and most especially gaming (ps3 or PC eh its all good)

Cheers,
Dan

hey dan welcome buddy.
not sure on the enclosure for the stimmies. I think snaked prefer small enclosures when they are young. Maybe some1 can give you some good advice

Hi mate, your doing the right thing by asking questions first, no matter how silly they seem..
I wouldnt put 2 together though, as in the wild they live alone, and can eat other reptiles including there own species..
That size enclosure would be fine for 1 stimmi, but a hatchy would prefer something smaller like a click clack till its about 12 months old..

Snakes are generally kept in a smallish plastic tub (click-clack) while they are young.

Guide to build a click-clack (dial-up

Also, (and you will get conflicting views on this) do not keep 2 snakes together.
That is my advice to you and will be the advice of a lot of experienced keepers. Don't do it.

Stimmies are a good first choice.
Do lots of research and set up your tub and get temperatures stable before you get your snake.

Hey Guys! Wow thanks for your replies :D

I will deffinitely keep the hatchling in a small enclosure whiel it grows I was just wondering when it gets to full size though. And now thanks to your input I will just stick to getting one, such a shame though I was looking at http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/sale-snakes-43/stimsons-pair-151839/ great price and they look sweet.

@ iamheretic - While I would love to get an albino darwin or one of the caramel somthings I dont think my enclosure would fit it?? That and my girlfriend would freak out...more.

Cheers Guys!
Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back