Tourism

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tourists?

• We need more.

Votes: 8 36.4%
  • THERE ARE ENOUGH!

Votes: 14 63.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

snakeluvver

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I would just like to know peoples opinions on wether you think we need more foreign tourists in Australia.
I personally think there are to many. Me and my Mum travelled to sydney recently and the place was overrun with foreign tourists. They can get really irritating at times. At zoos they want a photo of everything and will push in front of you just to see an animal! Also their ignorance is sometimes excruciating. Such as looking at a Kangaroo and saying "Oh theyre a type of rabbit I think"
Not all tourists are bad, just some. What are your thoughts?
Please, no voilent, offensive posts. I do not want this to turn into a huge argument.

i live near byron bay and they have no respect for the place. i did the new years day clean up and 95% of the mess was outside back packers vans and tents it cost residents of byron bay over $100000 to clean it up and they dont spend any money here only on grog which isnt locally owned. so from where i am GO HOME TOURO"S

Sadly I have found most of the "Tourists" in my area south of Sydney are actually Locals.... very depressing. Glad im outta Sydney!

I think there is enough... but I live in Sydney, about 5 mins from the city

Although you need to consider that some areas in Australia rely on tourism to survive...

When you consider how much we spend on getting them here and how much they fuel the economy in so so so many ways it seems like a very stupid idea to get rid of them.
Drunken barfoons will be a problem anywhere all the time regardless.

Not all tourist aren't the problem it's people in general.

Not everyone knows the difference between kangaroos or rabbits purely because people don't see them anywhere or involve themselves with animals like most people on here.

Just think if you lived in a city your whole life and never saw anything wild unless it was on TV or a pet store how you would react to a large jumping animal that has a pocket :S
Or a mammal with a bill, has webbed feet and lays eggs.

You should feel privileged to be able to teach people that kinda stuff.

Thanks for getting rid of signature.

I'm all for tourist and I go and help them when I see them confused in the city streets.

Jannico, not ALL tourists are bad. I'm not saying get Rid of them, I'm just saying we have quite a few of em around and the ignorance is usually just funny but it annoys me when they are really rude, pushing in and stepping in front of you just to get a photo of a koala.
And then there's the idiotic tourists that go up to kangaroos and pull their tails, and one man at Australia zoo even punched one for fun :rolleyes:
THESE are the tourists we can do without.
Oh and your welcome jannico ;)

Their is plenty of other people that I would get rid of who do nothing for our economy or society for that matter before Tourists ;) But that is another story... There is bad eggs in all 'groups'.

On the jetty with cameras when you pull in your catch is the worst.

What about those tourists who hold up a large crowd in Sydeney Wildlife world just cos they want their photo next to a big Lego thing.

they are good for the economy and im not against them but that doesnt mean i want more of them here.

After oprahs little visit we should be set for a while.

as far as they go socially, the propertion is a bit out of whack in terms of the annoying rude ignorant ones, but lots of them are still nice and i help them out with directions and things like that. bout 50/50 i reckon

NEW RULE if you come to AUS speak AUSTRALIAN!!!!!!!!!!!
that should be a term for immigration. Non-english speaking tourists aren't that bad, it's just when they live here and don't learn the language.

NEW RULE if you come to AUS speak AUSTRALIAN!!!!!!!!!!!
It's called English and Australia, bit ironic isn't it.
And that's a tad silly.
Guess you won't ever go overseas too much will you?

Jannico, not ALL tourists are bad. I'm not saying get Rid of them, I'm just saying we have quite a few of em around and the ignorance is usually just funny but it annoys me when they are really rude, pushing in and stepping in front of you just to get a photo of a koala.
And then there's the idiotic tourists that go up to kangaroos and pull their tails, and one man at Australia zoo even punched one for fun
THESE are the tourists we can do without.
Oh and your welcome jannico

Not all tourist aren't the problem it's people in general.
Re-read.

I'll put it to you this way.
You were a tourist that day too.
Me and my Mum travelled to sydney recently and the place was overrun with foreign tourists...
I guarantee someone found you annoying too, it's people in general who are "irritating".

new rule: if u want to come to our country wear what we wear.
we have to wear and abay by there rules in other counties why dont they have to follow ours

I agree with Jannico fully.
As annoying some tourists we get are, about half of them are from somewhere else in Australia.
And as Jannico said, many places rely on tourism to survive.

Dylan, they do have to go by our laws.
I don't see the point in a dress code, I only know of two countries that have one -- North Korea (dictatorship) and the Vatican (Roman-Catholicism based country).

new rule: if u want to come to our country wear what we wear.
we have to wear and abay by there rules in other counties why dont they have to follow ours

One because of our total lack of culture in Australia
We are one of the youngest countries/nations in the world, any culture we had was severely wiped out.
Cultural background is not a large part of our society, where it is something that you do in day to day life and is apart of yourself as a person, in what you eat, socialize with and dress; unlike many many other countries with a vast history (that hasn't been wiped out)

We have no care for what someone wears here.

We might in a few hundred years when everyone who comes here must wear thongs.

The only reason we wear thongs, boardies and singlet is because it's freaking hot not because our culture omits other clothing.

Last edited:
Tourism accounts for about 4.5% of Aussie employment and contributes around $33 billion (about 4% of GDP... i think) a year to our economy. If we didn't have the tourists we could have an extra 900 000 Australians out of work and we would have a 4% cut in our quality of life.

We certaintly wouldn't want any less tourists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back