We want to fix your sliding glass woes!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What annoys you with the sliding glass doors on your enclosure(s)?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
having monitors definatly sand in the tracks, and large peices of glass makes it extra hard. (900x900 each side.)
but i wouldn't want auto closing doors, if the doors are open it's couse i want them open, they get closed and locked at any other time.
something similar to cawdroy rails wound be good. with locks and small tab handles

but i wouldn't want auto closing doors, if the doors are open it's couse i want them open, they get closed and locked at any other time.

The auto close function doesnt begin until 50 or 100mm from the closed position of the glass. It will not start closing from when it is opened after this distance.

As for hand smudges - we have sliders which can be adhered to the glass to aid in grip and reduce smudging (local to the slider itself, if at all) - www.virides.com.au/Products

We are also investigating treatments of for glass to reduce or remove the problem of smudging. Initially we have found there to be liquid/foam applications, but is difficult to source as it seems the product may have been discontinued. On the other end of the scale, we have found lab treatments which treat the glass itself. We know this may be expensive so we are trying to find the middle ground on this.

An update on the track:

Found a means to completely simplify the track in its key function. However this will mean that the glass has to be supplied. This track will only be for new enclosures or ones that meet the dimensions of the track. There may also be room for customisation so it will suit enclosures that are close. To make it cheaper for all, can someone suggest a good supplier of large sheets of glass in the brisbane area?

An update to the progress of the sliding track!

We have finalised the design of the glass panel and the track itself. While we cannot stop sand/gravel falling down in the track (without making the glass panel move freely) we have made it easier to clean out.

You will get to see a prototype of this at the Gold Coast Reptile Expo 2011!

Last edited by a moderator:
looking forward to seeing it at the expo.
i dont really understand this auto close door, like how lazy are we getting lol and if it closes on its own and charlie pops his head out there is more chance of him getting injured yer?
correct me if im wrong as i said i didnt understand it.

This is a gravity closing door and is not intended for laziness as it only starts to close 90mm from the close position. It is intended to ensure the panel closes as some people misjudge the close position or think it is closed when it is not.

The rate at which it closes is not a quick snap or the like, but a slow fall to the close position. If it does manage to fall quickly (which we will adjust in the testing phase) the force applied is only a fraction of the glass's weight by a factor of the grade and the friction of the fall. This coupled with us looking into having a foam/rubber strip down the closing edge which will help reduce stress on the glass.

The panels will be 6mm Laminated Glass with a unique waterjet cut key edge fitting into a corresponding Acrylic Track.

Has anyone (Virides or otherwise) looked at putting small ball bearings in the tracks? I wanted to try but didn't know how many to put in or where to get them. I'd think this would greatly reduce the problems even if a small amount of sand did get into them. Also I have found that if your enclosure has a litter dam you get virtually no substrate in the tracks. Just a tip for anyone building enclosures with sliders in the future,

Has anyone (Virides or otherwise) looked at putting small ball bearings in the tracks? I wanted to try but didn't know how many to put in or where to get them. I'd think this would greatly reduce the problems even if a small amount of sand did get into them. Also I have found that if your enclosure has a litter dam you get virtually no substrate in the tracks. Just a tip for anyone building enclosures with sliders in the future,

The litter dam is recommended with our track and with our added features, even if grit manages to get in, it makes it easier to clean.

Ball gearings can be as simple as placing a few in the track however they can eventually bunch up and make the glass panel unbalanced. Also without lubrication they can be noisy. Also ball bearings can be affected by grit in the tracks which stops the balls rolling with the glass. If it stops the bearing slides along the glass and can make a scratching noise (compounded without lubrication).

There are Ball Bearing tracks available, but I am not sure if they are suitable for this application as they are normally intended for doors on houses and if you manage to have them in the enclosure, the gap between the glass would be too great. The bearings are also enclosed in a casing to keep them clean and the lubrication fresh, which complicates having a small enough assembly for the purpose required.

id have to agree with most people here, little bits of substrate getting stuck in the tracks sucks ***, i found best way to get rid of them hand smudges is to go to a window/glass door shop and grab some handles and silicone them on. that way you can use handles to open the doors and clean them with a damp cloth and dry em for a nice shine :)

We have handles for this very situation:

Virides - Stylish Enclosure Enhancements

5-0

We have just done our first real world trial of our first prototype! It shows promise but there are some elements which require tweaking.

We will update you on this project's progress later and we will strive to have this done as a final 100% working product by the GC Expo. If not, we will still have plenty of other things on show. I personally do not want to show something that is not 100% :)

---------------------

Micro Update

Have successfully reduced surface area friction from 1600mm^2 to a miniscule 18mm^2 without the requirement of ball bearings. This coupled with the pursuit of better materials (namely impregnated nylon) should achieve the required minimal friction and successful self closing goal.

After alot of revisions to this concept, the current design has too many factors interfering with the smooth glide of the glass and thus makes it unreliable.

We have just made Version 3.0 and submitted it to our manufacturer for checking. As it stands, the carriage will be stainless steel with ball bearings but all this will still be low profile and should mean that no track will be seen (if routing channels in wood).

The carriage should also mean you will be able to use different thicknesses of glass to a point - typically ranging from 4 to 8mm.

If the option of 4 mm to 8 mm glass is used the gap between the glass will need something (felt ,soft rubber etc) to fill the gap.If this is not done you can get draughts through the enclosure making heating to constant temps difficult.Smaller snakes will also get through this gap

If the option of 4 mm to 8 mm glass is used the gap between the glass will need something (felt ,soft rubber etc) to fill the gap.If this is not done you can get draughts through the enclosure making heating to constant temps difficult.Smaller snakes will also get through this gap

The gap between the panels will remain constant regardless of panel thickness. We will be going for a 3-4mm between panel gap.

I hate the noise of sand in the tracks!!!!!!!

Sadly this system will still suffer from these issues, however there will be a facility to aid in removal of the sand so atleast it won't be a completely annoying exercise.

====================================

We have looked into making the glass not get smudged by fingerprints and there is a process by which a lab chemically treats the surface of the glass to be resistive to smudging. But this treatment is expensive and is intended for small panels (such as on iPhones and other touch devices).

Our finger grips atleast limit smudging to a smaller area. These can be complimented by using Rain-X on the panel (after application of the finger grip). Rain-X applies a thin layer of teflon which helps repell substances (initially water) from the surface. This should help create a barrier. Follow the instruction on the bottle, can find it at Supercheap Auto or other Auto Retailers.

Personally I think a decent grip would be great to reduce smudging as the only time I touch mine is to open and close them

Last edited:
I make it a habit to triple check my glass is closed. It's an easy habit to get into!

same here!, i like stare it at it, go back out, come back in ... just incase :p.

i hate sand getting stuck, vacuum does the trick though :)

With the auto close function, what would happen if an animal had a part of itself on the way out of the enclosure while it was closing?
Would there be enough force to get it stuck or cause damage?
Without knowing the design, this would be a worry I'd have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back