Weird Woma Agression Question

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Morbid

Not so new Member
Reaction score
So I have a pretty new Woma, I have been trying to handle him as much as possible. A first he was a little jumpy... however he has been the most laid back relaxed snake ever. I have had a few friends who have handled him a few times also. Well last night he meet my boyfriend for the first time, and the snake acted really tense. He kept getting in defense positions when ever he saw him. He has never done this with anybody and we tried multiple time, with the same response. Finnaly the Woma hissed and gaped at him. I was holding him while this happened, I have held him since with no problems. Why would he hiss and gape at one person and not others.

Maybe your little woma doesn't like the way your boyfriend smells :p

Totally agree Yommy,cant live without the Woma,however boyfriends come and go all the time..lol..Considering its a newish snake that you recently got,the noise traffic etc in the house may be just stressing it a little..Or ur b-friend smells too much..lol

ok, i'll say it... No your snake isn't jealous of your boyfriend :rolleyes:.i think ur question was answered with the traffic and possible smell.

My big fella has his mood swings with particular people too, i have a mate who came over to see him and when i got him out he lunged at him a few times whilst i was holding him. He didn't turn toward me or try and bite me but serriously had a few goes at my friend. What i noticed and since have put it down to is he has a cat and had cat fur on his sleaves of his shirt, Because of this he wanted to chew on him or so i figure. Otherwise he is super placid like on valium, just don't like cats like his dad :)

Thanks everybody, I am responding via my phone so I can't rember who said what, but I love all the jealousy ideas! Haha oh and if I had to choose between the Woma and him... Woma all the way. Nobody gets between myself and my love for animals!

But anyway the traffic idea is a good idea... And he does own a cat but so do I and mine is even fluffier. We tried again yesterday, same response. Maybe it's because he is half scared to death of the little Woma!! Haha. For now we have just decided my Woma is the only pet I have that does not like him..

i would tend to agree its something to do with his scent. If it were from stress from too much traffic i dont think it would be only him. You also said he is scared of it so could possibly be the way he reacts but i'd say it is to do with him

my snakes all act a bit jumpier with people who arent comfortable handling them. its like they know,.... :p

sorry to hear of your problem,think you've been offered some very interesting :p and some very valid possible causes,
i can how ever say our woma has done the same thing, he was my baby, loved sleeping in my arms, awesome snake, then one day he decided to start taste testing me, OUCH! he bulldogs! since then every time i pass his tank if he is out, he be becomes very intent, if i get to close to the glass he will try to strike me through it, no one else, just me, this has been going on for over 4 years now, needless to say i dont handle him, (we do have other pythons and they are all fine,) the people that do, will be taste tested more often then not atleast once, there was no change in his living location, we'd had him for 18+ months, nothing changed, except the woma, the only explanation we could offer was hormones,
i hope for your sake, your baby does't get to this stage, but did want to let you know it can happen,

Perhaps the smell of an unfamiliar cat along with his fear reactions presents a threat. And a very good threat, I might add.

Were any of the others afraid of your woma?

Bill

I don't think he was scared the first time... But I think the aggressive response might have made him a bit scared the second time. When I had my Burmese, he didn't seem very afraid either until he was actually holding him then he started to hypervenilate(sp?) haha. So maybe he was scared the first time and just didn't want to show it. Everybody else seemed a little scared though. I don't see why so many people are afraid of snakes... Especially such small, docile by nature ones.

---------- Post added 12-Jan-11 at 04:39 PM ----------

PS: sorry to hear about your Woma Shelby. So far mine is like your boy was before he decided he disliked you. He sleeps in my arms, and I swear cuddles with me!! lol

Get a Water Python. They're not like that at all and they don't discriminate.......they bite everyone! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back