Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you serious?! What about building insurance?

You can get flood insurance in many areas)maybe not the worst ones), but if its likely to get flooded you are going to have to pay a lot. Most just take the gamble or arnt even aware of the risk. The trouble is only starting if we get the possible cyclone.

At least it will be good for the wildlife, although i havnt even seen any snakes yet i think they will be well fed for a long time.

I'm straying off topic but the thing that got my goat is that in the 74 floods 7000 homes got inundated, this year is 11000 homes, that's 5000 extra homes that could have been saved if they were built in more appropriate areas. In cyclone zones you have to build to the cyclone std to minimise risk, in flood zones there should either be no development or, like you say, Queenslander style houses or houses atleast built to withstand what can happen.
Its happened because people forget. I am 31 and have never seen anything like whats happened in the past few days. The population of Brisbane has probly doubled since 74 and everyone wants to live near the city. Not only that we have all been under the assumption that wivenhoe would protect brisbane from large scale flooding as seen in 74 and to an extent it has. Imagine the state of brisbane now if wivenhoe did not exist it would the worst flooding in history, also developers now opt for the low set houses on small tiny blocks with airconditioning rather than the well laid out queenslander which was designed for our climate and weather they obviously take too long to build. With urban sprawl on the increase houses are getting larger and blocks of land smaller, in any case not even a queenslander would have stood up to the torrent of water that brisbane would of seen if wivenhoe wasnt here as seen in the footage from toowoomba. I think Brisbane will be in alot of trouble if wivenhoe completely goes under with more rain forecasted anything is possible .

Here is a few pics of some survivers ( well i dont think the blind snake will survive it was pretty weak ), i took the pics at shorncliffe while cleaning some of the debree

P1130225.jpgP1130230.jpgP1130212.jpgP1130228.jpg

cheers nico

just a question of curiosity ( sorry, vic born n bred here so no experienve with floods of this magnitude )
with all this water rushing thru the towns n suburbs, is there an underlying threat from crocs? or do they manage to keep out of the danger zones. It was just a thought that had crossed my mind with all this talk of the animals getting caught in the water and searching for higher ground etc.
Cheers

You know in the past week I've been called to 3 pythons that had laid their eggs in location that were not very appropriate. Anyone know much regarding whether pythons can hold off from laying for certain time periods if suitable spots can't be found?
It presented as being a few snakes that were busting to lay and had to wherever they could.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be suprised if there was a croc or 2 in the brisbane river atm as Lone Pine Sanctuary is at fig tree pocket, an area that went underwater. I have heard a rumour that this has in fact happened but it is just that , a rumour. I do hope all of their other animals are OK.

Historically there have been a number of crocs this far south. Anything south of Gladstone these days though doesn't get to stay long..
A person was even taken by a croc further south from here in the Logan river at the beginning of last century and there are records from the Brisbane River.

Other than escapees though these days the chances of finding a croc in the brissie river are slim.

Crocs have moved into rocky though. Seems people have forgotten that rocky flooded. A friend snapped a pic of a croc in the town in flood waters.

I live in Rockhampton. We've been cut off from the south for about 3 weeks now. The Fitzroy River runs right through the city and about three streets on either side of the river bank have been closed off due to the water. Crocs normally hang out in our part of the river, and there are croc warning signs on city streets at the moment. Guess that means there have been sightings. Also, the Croc Farm down near the coast (about 30 min away) got flooded out as well, and it's rumoured that they have lost quite a few of their crocs from them simply swimming over the fences...Still just a rumour though

Oooh, hey Mel did they lose wally? Now that's one croc I would not want to come face to face with without a sturdy fence between us and ground under my feet!

There was one in a house on Berseker St the other day just down from Justins place!! Probably came across through the dump.
The crocs are everywhere here, you see them floating in the river all the time, and now that it's so turbulent they're seeking calmer waters and a lot of them have moved up the creeks and estuaries into populated areas.

It's the snakes that worry me though. Not the snakes themselves, but the sheer number of them being killed. And the idiots killing them can't tell the difference between a python or a venomous one, so are killing them all. One guy in Depot Hill killed 14 in one day! Poor babies! No one would go out and hit a croc on the head with a shovel though, they'd stay inside and leave it alone. So why not do the same with the snakes, unless of course you're being threatened by them and about to be bitten.

Anywho, did you catch the paper with the story on the Gilberts dragon? So cute! But honestly, they live here too, not just out towards Winton. But are they really "so rare" That the APS doesn't have any regulations on them, as the paper said? Does anyone know?

---------- Post added 14-Jan-11 at 12:01 AM ----------

Crocs have moved into rocky though. Seems people have forgotten that rocky flooded. A friend snapped a pic of a croc in the town in flood waters.
Do you have a copy of the pic? I'd love to see!

Last edited:
You know in the past week I've been called to 3 pythons that had laid their eggs in location that were not very appropriate. Anyone know much regarding whether pythons can hold off from laying for certain time periods if suitable spots can't be found?
It presented as being a few snakes that were busting to lay and had to wherever they could.

If they hold out on laying their eggs its likely they will go bad. I think reptile populations will be fine either way as many have said this isn't all that bad for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back