Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trench

Reaction score
I am sure that I read some were that it is illegal to cross breed snake, but I have seen lots of pics of green tree pythons x jungle pythons and bredl x carpet python. can someone explain this to me?

i think it is wrong as it is just mixing up the genes with in the hobby but then i love to know that my snake have come from a pure line of snakes that are from the same local.. IMO

Not again :rolleyes:

A quick search will bring up countless opinions and more than enough information on this topic.

and also depends on to what extent they are hybridized. Jungle x coastal is legal, i've also been led to believe that gtp x coastal would also be legal since they are both morelia. Its more coastal x woma or scrub x water that are the illegal hybrids from what i'm told

Some people DONT care what they bred together,as long as they get the desire snake their after..Some think crossing a N.T BHP with a QLD BHP is crossbreeding,however they are both Aspidities.Some will only breed the same locale BHPs together..Crossing a beautiful looking Chondro with a coastal is totally stupid,or thou they are both in the Morelia family..IMO crossing a Jungle with a Diamond is a hybrid..Each to there own with this topic..Each and everyone of us will NEVER like the same species,same colour,etc...Morally i wouldnt cross two different species..As been mentioned,Some states its legal,some states its illegal..How would the authorities proof you intentionally bred two different species together..

I like illegal ;)
photo-2-2.jpg

IMO crossing a Jungle with a Diamond is a hybrid

of course it is, crossing 2 different locality jungles is also a hybrid technically speaking but from what i understand the definition of hybrids the departments uses is a definition they have came up with themselves

Coastal Carpet Python
Class: Reptilia
Order: Squamata
Suborder: Serpentes
Family: Pythonidae
Genus: Morelia
Species: spilota
(subspecies): mcdowelli

Diamond Python
Species: spilota
(subspecies): spilota

GTP
Species: viridis
(subspecies):

Woma Python
Genus: Aspidites
Species: ramsayi
(subspecies):

Just to clear up some confusion :) All mentioned pythons are in the same family. The woma is a different genus... the gtp is the same genus as spilota but a different species... and the diamond and coastal are the same species but different subspecies.

The use of the word hybrid is incredibly vague. Hybrid may be used to describe the blending of different lines in genetics... of the same species and breed. For example, when a dog breeder is explaining their newest pairing they may describe "a hybrid of european and australian lines."
In taxonomy the general term hybrid may be used to describe the crossing of genus, species or subspecies. Overall the use of the word in the circumstances of outlawing "hybrids" is incredibly vague. But I think they like it that way, then they can change the meaning according to how they feel :)

My stance on hybrids... within the same species (intraspecific) I see no issue within general pet trade. Except for where the species or subspecies populations in the wild are limited. Interspecific, intergeneric and interfamilial hybrids are in my opinion a bit off. Have you seen the womaxballs? :| Weird....

Thanks for that everyone, D3pro what type of snake/s is that. Does any one know the cross breeding laws are in Qld, I love the gtp x jungle python.

Thanks for that everyone, D3pro what type of snake/s is that. Does any one know the cross breeding laws are in Qld, I love the gtp x jungle python.

Do you mean you would like to buy one or breed them?
The law is written in the conditions of your licence.

Do you mean you would like to buy one or breed them?
The law is written in the conditions of your licence.
I am wanting to breed, (one day :) )
I checked my licence but couldn't find any thing about cross breeding

I don't agree with intersubspecific hybrids, beacuse in Europe pure subspecies carpets are very difficult to find and I hope australia doesn't end up like it, mostly people who couldn't be bothered finding 2 of the same subspecies of carpet so they just bred 2 different ssp they had. Needless to say Ball x Woma and Carpondros are just wierd and wrong. I wouldn't mind if all hybrids were labelled but people just don't always labell them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back