Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL according to DEC and one Dr Peter Mawson, Olives are deadly! And as such they have put them on Cat 5 in WA. The same catagory for Death Adders, Tigers, Browns etc.... Funny how they are on basic license around the rest of Australia.

An ugly olive.

Attachments

• DSCF0033.jpg
    DSCF0033.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 339
An ugly olive.

Ooh, that's not ugly :D

Olives are deadly? Only if you're dumb enough to go near them smelling like dinner, or handle them when nobody else is around... although you'd have to be pretty stupid to do either of those things :lol:

7 month old boy:

Attachments

• Head close2.jpg
    Head close2.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 89
  • Micah rock.jpg
    Micah rock.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 101
Asphyxiation is the most deadly weapon these days. There's no anti venom for asphyxiation hence why they are classed that way in WA. Like mentioned, If you are getting a 9ft olive out with no one else around, Your looking for trouble.
Mine is 8ft and unpredictable. She is handled by me, but with my partner by my side at all times. She doesn't let anyone know she wants to have a bite. She just slides up my arm and bang..latches on. So i am still surprised they are class 1 here. I know not every olive is like this, some are just big sooks but it only takes someone young with minimal experience to change these guys from class 1.

I hope everyone who buys an Olive is warned about the size and strength, I didn't know how strong snakes were until I got my first one. I have a 22 month old MD who is only about the thickness of a 20 cent coin, and while I was at the computer the other day, he was sitting on my shoulder, then went down and wrapped himself around the armrest of the chair. He was pulling me over, I was surprised at how strong he's become. An Olive could do much better than that.

I personally don't handle any large snakes without somebody else being around, even if it's a snake I trust (although I don't trust them 100%). I think some people can let their guard down if they haven't had many or any problems with a snake, but that's a dangerous game to play. A friend of mine has a 2 year old Olive that's about 6ft, and I told her never to handle it when nobody else is there... I hope she listened! As long as you put yourself in a situation like that you should be fine.

On first look at seeing an Olive in the same category as highly dangerous venomous snakes it looks funny, but taking into account some people's lack of intelligence I can see why this has been done. I'm surprised Olives are on a basic license down here too, if somebody get one for a first snake things might get too overwhelming for them and then the snake has to get stressed out and end up in another home. :?

IMAG0047.jpgmy wife fell in love with this girl at the 2011 vhs expo and is so placid even at only 6 weeks of age. i offered her a feed the sameday i got her and she smashed it down

@joemal
omg, what awesome strenth they have. what the hell is she holding on to? amazing.

Last edited:
If you look closely you can see she is holding on around the door frame near the handle .Not bad strength to be able to hold up 10kgs just by squeezing the door frame .

Amazing, the first pic looks like she is standing on her tail. shes a beautiful snake!

is there a thread like this catering to Water Pythons? as they are in the same family :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back