Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes Sean
They are COMMERCIAL businesses

What i would like to know is why anyone other that a COMMERCIAL Business would keep adult snakes in tubs or boxes

bitchy.jpg

Bitchy just waiting for our water fountain to be turned on

Last edited:
~ SORRY TO BURST YOUR BUBBLE TREE HUGGERS!!..ha ha.. but MOST Pet Shops,venom facilities,wildlife facilities,sanctuary's,zoo's,SCIENCE LABS use rack systems and tubs..as a visitor to a park,sanctuary or zoo, you get to see amazing done up enclosures,and its wonderful..but behind the scenes,they mainly use rack systems,tubs etc to breed and house their snakes... :) trust me i know this ;)

So do I - they have a very valid reason. What very valid reason has an amateur reptile keeper (hobbyist) got?

people will never agree to how snakes should be kept or which is the best way to keep them. im yet to see proof of which is right or wrong. i have had people tell me im wrong in how i keep my collection. my snakes are healthy, they breed, and their still alive as are the person that keeps his different to me. his snakes are as healthy as mine, they breed and their still alive. so who is right and who is wrong? we all have our own opinions and think we know best

Like waterrat I am curious why anyone who is not a commercial breeder would keep their adult reptile in a box or tub????

I will answer that question right now ...I use to live in a 5 bedroom rented house that had PLENTY of room to house a big enclosure ..thus I had one for my big fella(coastal carpet) ..then it got smashed, during a moving room, in that house ,so he was put in a tub , we got sick of renting,paying dead money and as we owned our own 2.5 acre block we decided to build a granny flat in our big shed and stop paying rent weekly ..so I have moved into a 1 bedroom flat in my shed that isnt any where near the size of the old rental ..hence my reason he is still in a tub ...he is crapping ,shedding ,drinking ,growing and in good nic even though he lives in a tub ..he gets a warm end and a cool end ..even though he is in a tub ..I get him out for stretches on a regular basis and allow him to cruise around the loungeroom ..even though he is in a tub ..and I take him out for grass time where he gets plenty of sunshine and outdoor smells ...HE ISNT MISSING OUT,he has three levels in his tub one up high, one low and the hide is floor level ..the rest are in tubs but are smaller snakes ..I dont feel so bad as I did when I first put him in there as he seems to be doing all he did in his old enclosure ..and in actual fact I let him out more so he gets more exercise then before as I am more conscience of him being in a tub ..its easier to clean PROPERLY ..boring to look at YES I agree ...but animal cruelty NO not at all .

There is no answer that will satisfy you? Do you actually have a job Michael? Something that keeps you busy for most of the day? Are you married or do you have young kids? If you have none of the above then I would not expect you to understand and you never will. Same goes for being a demonstrator, you might find that rack systems would free up time that you never thought you had. The answer is simple; time management or efficiency! I don't want to get home after a long days work and have to spend hours of my time cleaning cages, when I have family business to tend to! Something that really annoys me is the fact that you think I am less of a reptile lover because I keep my animals in a more convenient way for myself than you Michael! I do like to have a life outside the herp scene, you would go insane if you didn't.

We kept our snakes in proper reptile cages for years! We actually still have some cages standing around that we don't use anymore! Our animals are happy and healthy. I have shown non rack users just how fast feeding can go when you have 300 plus snakes. Takes us a whole 30 mins. Cleaning all our tubs would take a good 4 hours at the most! This means that we have a weekend to spend with friends and family. It also means that we can relax after a long days work.

Keeping snakes in tubs has got nothing to do with being commercial; it has everything to do with having a life. I would also like to see just how much you would complain about a large electricity bill and how it cut into your GTP profit if you lived down in the southern parts of Australia.

Thanks for reading. I don't think anybody could give you the correct explanation for keeping snakes in tubs.

It's funny just how removed some keepers can be from reality!

redbelly is this just for a single animal though? or can you put that much time into a whole collection to give them all the same benefits?

sean the reptile park i did work at had geckos in tubs but not snakes
the snakes were all housed in enclosure banks, now a 150lt tub is around the same size as one enclosure in those banks so as i said before it doesnt matter what set up you use, enclosure or tub if its not big enough for the animal how does it matter what its made of?
there was also a 4m burm kept in a box barley big enough to coil up in! because it was a reptile park does this make it ok for everyone to keep 2-3m pythons in 2ft square boxes?
is there anyone in here that keeps chickens in small battery cages for their own personal use?

Farma all mine are in tubs ..but the question was to do with adult size and I only have 1 adult size the rest are all youngins ...so at the moment can only comment on 1 adult ..

I can reply to carpets on three levels here

As a private owner and reptile lover I simply could not keep my pets in tubs

As a commercial breeder I can happily keep my hatchies in racks

As a demonstrator I need to keep my snakes in habitats because it keeps them happier and healthier
My snakes are well known for being both curious and happy to be handled
I dont think they would be like that if kept in tubs

It is very interesting that you used the words 'convenient for me"
How about good for the snakes??

Nicole, you certainly took it personally. Whether I am married with kids or have a job is none of your business and have nothing to do with my or your reptile keeping. Just settle down.
You have clearly identified your self as a commercial breeder and if you read my previous posts, ...... ah, why to bother.

There is no answer that will satisfy you? Do you actually have a job Michael? Something that keeps you busy for most of the day? Are you married or do you have young kids? If you have none of the above then I would not expect you to understand and you never will. Same goes for being a demonstrator, you might find that rack systems would free up time that you never thought you had. The answer is simple; time management or efficiency! I don't want to get home after a long days work and have to spend hours of my time cleaning cages, when I have family business to tend to! Something that really annoys me is the fact that you think I am less of a reptile lover because I keep my animals in a more convenient way for myself than you Michael! I do like to have a life outside the herp scene, you would go insane if you didn't.

We kept our snakes in proper reptile cages for years! We actually still have some cages standing around that we don't use anymore! Our animals are happy and healthy. I have shown non rack users just how fast feeding can go when you have 300 plus snakes. Takes us a whole 30 mins. Cleaning all our tubs would take a good 4 hours at the most! This means that we have a weekend to spend with friends and family. It also means that we can relax after a long days work.

Keeping snakes in tubs has got nothing to do with being commercial; it has everything to do with having a life. I would also like to see just how much you would complain about a large electricity bill and how it cut into your GTP profit if you lived down in the southern parts of Australia.

Thanks for reading. I don't think anybody could give you the correct explanation for keeping snakes in tubs.

It's funny just how removed some keepers can be from reality!

Couldnt have said it better! :)

I think it is just sad that a so called reptile lover can say "Keep snakes in tubs for time management and efficiency"

I could understand if you were a commercial breeder
But you say you are not??
Although your screen id seems to say differently??

I can reply to carpets on three levels here

As a private owner and reptile lover I simply could not keep my pets in tubs

As a commercial breeder I can happily keep my hatchies in racks

As a demonstrator I need to keep my snakes in habitats because it keeps them happier and healthier
My snakes are well known for being both curious and happy to be handled
I dont think they would be like that if kept in tubs

It is very interesting that you used the words 'convenient for me"
How about good for the snakes??
Have you ever kept adults in tubs? if your answer is NO then you cant assume they wont be happy and be able to handle ...My fella is still the same in character as he was in his enclosure like I said nothing has changed ,other then his home structure all his needs are being met ...and as I have kept him in both situations I can answer that truthfully ..

If you go back to my previous posts you will see that I kept my adults in tubs for a few months when setting up the facility here
They all changed a lot badly in temperament during this time

As soon as they were back in habitats they were back to being happy and part of the family again

My snakes are used on a daily basis being handled by strangers

From your description of ONE adult in a tub you dont fit into the 'lots of adults in tubs' anyway
One adult can be taken out and played with regularly

What I want to know is how people with lots of adults in tubs as pets can do this and still say their 'babies' are happy???

The previous reply was to me longqi
Not to micheal

well im over the debating! :) we all love reptiles here..since we waste our time comming on here to debate about such things :) ... i personally keep some of my collection in tubs and some in enclosures :D,so i dont see a critical problem with keeping snakes in tubs if you have to...and i LOVE reptiles,not just the pet trade side,i love the conservation aswell and everything about herpetology.. saying we have no REAL passion and love for reptiles and their care because we house them in tubs,is a unfair judgment.
cheers

If you go back to my previous posts you will see that I kept my adults in tubs for a few months when setting up the facility here
They all changed a lot badly in temperament during this time

As soon as they were back in habitats they were back to being happy and part of the family again

My snakes are used on a daily basis being handled by strangers

From your description of ONE adult in a tub you dont fit into the 'lots of adults in tubs' anyway
One adult can be taken out and played with regularly

What I want to know is how people with lots of adults in tubs as pets can do this and still say their 'babies' are happy???

The previous reply was to me longqi
Not to micheal

do you think the change in tempeament might of been cause by stress in being relocated and not the fact that they were relocated in tubs? do you think given time your snakes may of returned to their old temperaments if given time to settle into their tubs?

"so i dont see a critical problem with keeping snakes in tubs if you have to...and i LOVE reptiles,"

The question is why would you have to????

I have NO problem with keep a snake in a tub for a short period because of an emergency
But to keep a lot of adult snakes in tubs for extended periods makes me wonder why they bother if they profess to LOVE snakes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back