jew on light gear

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

byron_moses

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
hey guys just thought i would post a quick report. spent the weekend at evans head as a couple of friends from sydney were up and had a holiday house there, first thing in the car as always was the rods followed by the kids and wife lol. my friend is more of a spear fisho but enjoys a bit of PROPER fishing aswell lol. headed to the wall with some worms to try our luck for some whiting for the last half of the morning run in for an EPIC fail on the whiting. a few bream came ashore and with 4lb were still wuite fun. as the tide topped at around 11:30 things died off and just as we were about to leave i threw a whole worm on my 1/0 long shank for a last ditch effort, well in a way it worked i as soon as it hit the bottom a big thud hit my bait followed by my strike and a nice head shake, i knew this wasnt a whiting or a bream as it teared up and down the rocks almost causing me to end up in the drink myself. after a nice battle for 15min or so i saw the un mistakable flash of a jew come to the surface after battling to land him without a net for another 5min while half of evans whatched me i managed to get a decent grip on him and land him. really healthy fish around 65cm was gut hooked fairly bad so he went to the bbq where he served well.

have caught a few jew on light gear from a boat but it sure was alot more fun jumping from rock to rock with hi

Attachments

• random 023.JPG
    random 023.JPG
    237.7 KB · Views: 145
  • random 027.jpg
    random 027.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 105
  • random 030.JPG
    random 030.JPG
    125.6 KB · Views: 94
bout time you got a bigger fish than me lol
was gonna pop in and see ya today i was up in the top side ansey st or something doing a job

Nice Jew, evans head is a great little place especially for fishing :)

Nice work, jew are always fun wherever or however ya get em! Most non-fishos don't get the "just one last cast" mentality ;)

Nice score mate,...gotta love them head shakes,....that last cast can go on for hours or until the mozzies get the better of ya.

here's a 24kg jew on a river2sea surface lure......:D

Attachments

• IMGP6372jewonlure.jpg
    IMGP6372jewonlure.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 101
Nope, not this one......only got a few packets left in the freezer.
I do keep 1 or 2 for the BBQ.
All others this season have been released.
Range from 6kg to 24kg.
I have dropped 2 bigger ones this year, but you cant beat a suface hook-up and then trying to stop them from cutting you off on the
bridge pylons.
All fish are caught of the rocks fishing man made structures with overhanging lights at night.

I don't mind to much when I loose a big'n as long as I get a peek at it first. Fishing structures like bridges and wharfs are fun and give the fish a bit extra chance of another day....puts a little extra into the fight...Surface lures have to be the best fun way of catching these fella's.

Nice, im spewing i havent caught one yet.. i mean ive caught the little soapies and stuff but all around 20cm. Never caught a proper jew, be just about the only thing ive no caught in my area, have smashed jacks, and all the rest which most people claim are harder too get, but never a jew or legal threadie.. need too take the boat out more often i think lol.

nice work ben and mungus. light tackle is always fun and adds a bit of fight.

just fished in my first light tackle game comp last week, few nice wahoo and tuna on 8kg line, pitty we didn't snag a marlin on our boat.

Any fish on light tackle is always a challenge.......i would love to catch a wahoo Ozzie.
Stay tuned for a jew on fly............hopefully not to far away........lol

Well done mate, that would have been heaps of fun, I love Evans Head.

Nice work, jew are always fun wherever or however ya get em! Most non-fishos don't get the "just one last cast" mentality ;)

no. non-fishos just don't get the second cast...
you can see the I'm bored look sweep over them.

Oh but its so much more fun being in 10 foot swell 150m off shore without a boat looking for jew :p

Spearo born and bred haha

went reef fishing two weeks ago ( Charter boat ) paid $120.00 and only caught 6 sweeps and 3 large salmon

fishing at batemans bay

Last edited:
Nice fish, been a while since I've wet a line. really need to get back into it. I love fishing and have done all sorts over the years, but I just haven't had the time lately.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back