Flood tax levy - thoughts.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spilota_variegata

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Just wondering what people think about Julia Gillard's flood tax levy? I for one think it stinks. Why do I have to pay $850 to subsidise flood victims when the government could just as easily take the money from the NBN kitty?

I think hitting high income earners all the time is immoral. Sure they make more money than the average John Doe but they also pay a LOT more tax.

What are your thoughts?

What government is going to pass up the opportunity to slap a new tax on us? Its easier than looking at cutting some of their own excessive expenditure.

What government is going to pass up the opportunity to slap a new tax on us? Its easier than looking at cutting some of their own excessive expenditure.

So true.

My wife warned me that horrible things would happen when Gillard was voted in. I didn't believe her :shock:

we should stop giving aid all over the world and for once look after our own back yard - all the aid we give out would
cover all the flood victims etc 100 times over.

So true.

My wife warned me that horrible things would happen when Gillard was voted in. I didn't believe her :shock:

Who in their right minds would vote labour anyway !!!
labour policy - more you earn the more tax you pay.
- The less you earn the more you get from high income earner's ( thats called %@!!% moving forward !! )

Last edited:
We already pay enough taxes with the expectations that the government will put enough funds away for situations like this.... How about donating 6 months of speed camera fines to the cause instead.

What a great idea... I like you, you think outside of the box :)

We already pay enough taxes with the expectations that the government will put enough funds away for situations like this.... How about donating 6 months of speed camera fines to the cause instead.

bad thing is it will stay once all the flood clear-ups have finished... good money spinner.
they will call it national emergency tax or something

how come we can give billions to indo and and the rest after the tsunami and give it to people who embezzle it line their own pockets all without a tax levy, but when qld floods we get this levy?
how come we always give out all our money to other country's at the risk of cutting out own throats?

The only positive thing out of this is that is has assured labour wont win the next election.

in my opinion they could take a bit from the national broadband thing that they have allocated 30 odd billion dollars and put a few bill into fixing up the country after all this water...national broadband isnt that important at the moment is it?

id like to know what they are doing with all the money they make from the flash for cash vans on the side of the roads?, that would buy every victom a new house and a car for every member of the family.

Do people think that the amount paid should be proportional to the amount you make? Does the fact that you make more money necessarily mean that you have more money?

Just thinking out aloud....

Do people think that the amount paid should be proportional to the amount you make? Does the fact that you make more money necessarily mean that you have more money?

Just thinking out aloud....
yes, how much money do some people need, put off that new 5k stereo or 1200 phone and help out some aussies doing it real bloody tough!
what has happened to Australia we used to pride ourself on helping each other out and acting like mates.

just think if Gillard does the same thing with her pay they would have all the money already and would leave us alone !!!

yes, how much money do some people need, put off that new 5k stereo or 1200 phone and help out some aussies doing it real bloody tough!
what has happened to Australia we used to pride ourself on helping each other out and acting like mates.
mate ive already helped out last week all of my mates at work including myself donated our weeks pay check to help out! in total $15,000 and like i said what are they doing with the money made from speed cameras ???.

how come we can give billions to indo and and the rest after the tsunami and give it to people who embezzle it line their own pockets all without a tax levy, but when qld floods we get this levy?
how come we always give out all our money to other country's at the risk of cutting out own throats?
not just QLD mate, (Brisbane). if it was just a normal QLD town it would not be a problem and Gillard would not care!!

Last edited:
How much money are we spending on housing illegal immigrants yet some of our own flood victims are without a place to stay.

If you do the maths high income earners still wind up with more despite tax. If they were to stop the NBN now then the funds already poured into it would go to waste not to mention the NBN will be available to something like 98% or more of the population. No it is not essential entirely but the workers working on the NBN have job and generate revenue because of it so their pay is taxed and the flow of money continues because all of the work is being done in Australia its being done by Australians and keeping the money here would you rather it go into foreign investment? I don't think that there should be a tax as high as $850 when so many people are donating and doing there bit to help.

That being said the Desalination Plant in South Australia is a total waste of money as there were so many other options that would have been more cost effective and there are many other cock ups by the government that I could point out.

we should stop giving aid all over the world and for once look after our own back yard - all the aid we give out would
cover all the flood victims etc 100 times over.

Exactly!!

That is a LOT of money for a levy... I don't know how many people would have to pay it, but it'd be interesting to know how much it would add up to if it was introduced.

It'd be crap if the more you earn the higher the tax levy.. but it'd be worse if it was $850 for a low income earner, that is a massive hit out of the family budget!

I don't think labour knows enough about setting up the NBN... they want to use fibre optic cables (so my uni lecturer stated 2 years ago) and they are damn expensive, and it is really that urgent to implement? I mean what's more important... people having a roof over their heads or a good internet connection (that the victims of the floods wont be able to use anyway since they wont have anywhere to live).

And another food for thought... would those who have lost EVERYTHING have to pay the levy as well?

ok.. I'm going to stop now, I'm rambling

the town i live in was hit by a flood over a year ago, we got no help from the government and some are still getting over it ,what is happening now is a real slap in the face for us and if we knew about this tax ----! we would not of donated or pay last week.
the main reason we did is because we had already gone through the same thing and understood there pain.

The plan is to use Fibre optic cables and as far as technology has gone there is nothing faster. something like 500MB's a second and if you go to the websites they show the prices its unbelievable how much cheaper it is the tax you put in you would probably save in internet connection bills.

I think its complete bullshit!
Why should the people who have already donated a good amount of their money to the victims, be forced into give more money?
I just think this Government has to take a look at themselves to see if they proceed in doing this, there is no way in hell they will be voted back in!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back