Need HELP again - typical python life

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blessy

Reaction score
Hello all,

Could anyone out there with pythons or other snakes please tell me how do they take care of their snakes and what kind of life the snakes have. I am interested to hear any daily or nightly schedules or anything else that could be insteresting.

For example, in what sort of enclosure (if any) do you need to keep them? Or do you just let them roam around the whole room or house?
Do you let them outside sometimes, like take them out to your grassed backyard?
What do you feed them and how often? How much it costs to keep them (per head)?
Do you need to have a licence or let council know or something like that?
What is the typical initial cost to set it all up? Is it better to get a young snake or an older one??
Is there anything specific that you would NOT recommend us doing?

Any info would be very much appreciated. Thank you very much!!!

Last edited:
Umm you have to have a licence, if you let the python out at night it will not come back. I have a BHP and she is kept in a 6ft locked enclosure, I do let her out and let her roam around the house. Never let her out of the house unless I'm holding her. I feed mine 2 adult rats every 2 weeks, which costs about $30.

It sounds like you are asking these questions as you may think
you have a neighbour has a pet python and that you are quite
paranoid about them having a snake nearby.

my pythons all have indoor enclosures but they spend the majority of the time in outdoor aviarys. (locked ofcourse, pythons dont return home,...)
i bring them in to digest under regulated temps for 2 days after feeding, then back outside to poo and wait till next feed.
actually, with the ridiculously hot temps we've been having lately ive been bringing the diamonds in each morning before work if the weather report says over 30, and the rest of the snakes get brought in if its over 33.
then back out when it starts cooling down. (they've worked out this system and are waiting by the doors of their indoor enclosures when i get home)

i used to take them out on the back lawn for an hour of supervised playtime every night, till the moonless night when there was a black out and i had 7 snakes on the back lawn to find in the pitch black,....didnt have time for torch hunting and the wind didnt allow for candles,...thats when the aviary planning began,..

i feed mine depending on age and weather reports, if its gonna be 'indoor' weather anyway i schedule their feeds around that. probably around $50 a month on food for the 7,....

my backdoor neighbour kinda freaked out at first, but not majorly since he can see that the aviary is totally secure, the rest of the neighbours send their kids over to poke at them.

are you serious dude ??? yes they need an excape proof enclosure, you feed them every week or two, if you let them go they WILL NOT come back :-/ and you need a licence. You should google some info on keeping snakes before you get one hey.

Although these questions seem a bit simple they are not that unrealistic for someone that has absolutely no idea about reptiles. It does seem weird to ask these questions on a forum though without having done some research first.....but anyway. Just answer the questions if you want if not, just ignore the post.

Do you set them free at night and if yes, how do they know to return back to you?

hahahaha love it, not only could the python kill off the annoying cats that a certain person leaves out all day and night, but it would be a cheap way to feed the snake!

Sorry for the silly questions. I actually read that snakes are creatures of habits, and I read about one family whose pet python would go out at night and just go back every time ... so dunno. I guess it was a one off, or a fabrication. I have now modified the questions a bit as they did look really silly. I also tried to investigate this myself first, but there was sooooo much information so I thought it would be easier and far quicker to ask here :oops:

ok, well in that case, lol, it might be easier if you know what snake you are after, then you google a care sheet on that type of snake. the care sheet should tell you just about everything you need to know about how to take care of your new pet. Are you after a stimmie, childrens, spotted, jungle ?

I also tried to investigate this myself first, but there was sooooo much information so I thought it would be easier and far quicker to ask here :oops:

Gen X i take it then? :p

in what sort of enclosure (if any) do you need to keep them?
Enclosure size/type depends on snake Species and size

do you just let them roam around the whole room or house?
some people do its personal choice, always recommend the animal is supervised closely whilst free roaming

Do you let them outside sometimes, like take them out to your grassed backyard?
some people do its personal choice, again supervision is required at all times

What do you feed them and how often?
mice, rats, rabbits, chickens, quail etc depends on the species and size, once a week - fortnightly-monthly depending on age/size

How much it costs to keep them (per head)?
depends on size bigger snake eats bigger food costs more

Do you need to have a licence or let council know or something like that?
MUST have a license for your state, and can only keep approved animals as listed by your state

What is the typical initial cost to set it all up?
you could have a basic set up for 500-600

Is it better to get a young snake or an older one??
personal preference, a young snake lets you get used to the animal whilst its still small, and you can keep a smaller (cheaper) enclosure but you will need to upgrade as it grows

Is there anything specific that you would NOT recommend us doing?
currently we would all strongly recommend that you do NOT buy any animal until you have picked the species you know you want and learn t all the specific answers about that animal and you have the correct housing environment established

Sorry for the silly questions. I actually read that snakes are creatures of habits, and I read about one family whose pet python would go out at night and just go back every time ... so dunno. I guess it was a one off, or a fabrication. I have now modified the questions a bit as they did look really silly. I also tried to investigate this myself first, but there was sooooo much information so I thought it would be easier and far quicker to ask here :oops:

Dear Blessy, other than Tristan's considered reply, this forum is perhaps not the best one to ask advice such as this. It should be, agreed, but you are more likely to be poked fun at under the cover of anonymity.
Blessy, there are some very good, cheap books about pythons available - you might like to start with your local pet shop, or visit herp books online? Good luck, at least you have the courage to ask the questions - and seriously, there is no such thing as a silly question.

Blessy,

How did you get from your post on the "snake poo" to asking how to care for snakes? You even mentioned you were scared of a gecko, you feared it was a snake....

Not saying it's a bad thing of course, keeping herps is rewarding and intriguing. It would be nice to think that you were open minded and considering this an an option to educate your family.

Couple of links to help:
DECC | Reptile keeper's licence
Burke's Backyard > Fact Sheets > Snakes as Pets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back