Sexing sub adult snakes

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

garthy

Reaction score
Is there any way (I know it wouldn't be 100%) of determining the sex of a 4ft Bredli?
I don't want it probed.

You can also determine the sex from there tails and spurs..Not 100% accurate..

You can also determine the sex from there tails and spurs..Not 100% accurate..

Yeas, I'm aware of this but I'm after specifics. Would it be worth me posting pics of the tail and spurs? Or has someone out there got examples of each sex and the differences?

Post a few photos especially the tail,from the vent to tip...

You could try this: [video=youtube;qUwCI_xjaIk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUwCI_xjaIk[/video] He says somewhere in the comments that it doesn't work so well for snakes over a few months old due to the muscle tone, and you may get bitten.....

I haven't tried it, but youtube doesn't lie!! LOL I'm going to give it a go on my hatchies when they get to a few weeks old.

tail 1.jpgtail 2.jpg
You could try this: YouTube - Brian Gundy Shows How To Pop / Sex Your Snakes He says somewhere in the comments that it doesn't work so well for snakes over a few months old due to the muscle tone, and you may get bitten.....

I haven't tried it, but youtube doesn't lie!! LOL I'm going to give it a go on my hatchies when they get to a few weeks old.
Yep, tried it with hatchies and have had great success, though as with probing older snakes I am very hesitant regarding damage.
Heres a couple of Iphone photos (can't find find my camera) will post more if necessary when I find it.

I was suprised, that i was able to learn the 'pop hemi's.I was told, it can only be done on very young snakkes,-though Ive sexed a friends 2 y.o diamond,you can not mistake the appearence of 2 little snail like antenna's that pop out .Theres a spot behind the cloaca,(around 15 mm up tail) if you press with your thumb down ina massaging motion,-whilst you place the other thumb about the same distance from the cloaca, up on the body, -and kinda pull back and down, to expose to 'orifice' then slowly start massaging, down near the hemipenes.Without making the snake uncomfortable. each time ive done it, the snake doesnt seem to mind, or even realise.!
its quite an easy techniquie. Also ive noticed, on my male snakes sheds, as they get older, they have the spurs the femalesdont. My 2 yo coastal, has prominate ones on his shed, i can post a pic, if need be.

Last edited:
Soundfix females have spurs also,just not as big as males..Just by the photo Garthy it looks like a male,females generally stumpier tails..

Stumpy as in'short and fat?" ...
Isnt the males that would have a 'stumpy' tail, due to females not having to house hemi-pens, the female tail ,appears to drop into a long ,skinny carrot shape.

Cant see any pic's????
What debate,-a question???

OK JUST SPOTTED THEM-Its MALE!.Yer very stumpy, i recon it packing some male hemi-penes in there somewhere-just my opinion.!!

Last edited:
hahahaha...always the one to strike a debate with someone...who said i was confident!?? :S "looks like a male from the photos" ..and so it does to me!maybe by the two bulges behind the cloaca at the base of the tail. :S ......

Sorry mate i just thought you knew something that i didn't and i wanted to know how you could sex a snake from those pictures. Just kind of assumed you were confident because i didn't think you would post up otherwise.

You must have some good eyes, i can hardly even see the anal scale in those pics.

Sorry mate i just thought you knew something that i didn't and i wanted to know how you could sex a snake from those pictures. Just kind of assumed you were confident because i didn't think you would post up otherwise.

You must have some good eyes, i can hardly even see the anal scale in those pics.

ahh okies,sorry man :) ..yeah nah i wouldnt put money on it..Just by one of the photos u can see a slight bulge around the base of the tail..that was the only thing i was going on! i could be wrong..

What makes you confident that it is a male?

waruikazi, I certainly appreciate when experienced herpers comment and this is why I posted here. I do not know anyone close by that could "safely and certainly" probe my animal. I will be endeavouring to get better photos (still haven't found the camera), but I am just after some "more expert than me" opinions. know I cannot take any opinions as certain but I am willing to listen.
Bring on debate...even if it doesn't have a definate outcome.

BTW, no hemipenes evident in shed skin and only very small spurs..

If your in the Hunter Valley just take a trip into Wallsend to the Sugar loaf Vets, they can do it.

If your in the Hunter Valley just take a trip into Wallsend to the Sugar loaf Vets, they can do it.

I knew this thread would pay dividends, thanks mate
Even though that still means over two hour trip, it's valuable info.

Last edited:
Take a photo of the tail vent area side on, you can usually see an even gradual tapering straight from the vent scale in a female towards the tip of the tail. In a male there is usually a bulge or no tapering ie; spine and belly run parallel until about 15 to 20mm past the base of the tail before evenly tapering to the tip .............if that makes sense

Your welcome, they are on the web just google Sugarloaf Hospital for details and ph number.
I'd do it for you but I'm further away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back