Importing

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dihsmaj

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about importing marine inverts?
Is it legal, and do you require a permit to do so?

hey mate, all inverts are excluded from import. which is a shame because we can export all our corals but cant import any.

Ah, okay.
Was wanting to know if I could get a Mantis Shrimp.
Also, you said 'we can export all our corals but cant import any' ruins my hope of ever obtaining one legally due to hitch-hiking on a live rock.

there are a few mantis shrimp around, im sure you can get them in aus.
just ask around at your local aquariums about them.

depends on waht species thou, i assume that there would be some that you cant get. but i know i have seen mantis shrimps for sale in the past.

There are Australian species so one would assume that the right aquarium shop would have them or be able to get them in. Majestic Aquariums do orders Australia wide get in touch with them they may have or be able to source them for you.

they are often found as hitchhikers in live rock so if you be patient, no need to buy

You can get peacock mantis shrimp as i know someone who owns one, and they are amongst the best looking mantis shrimp, if you know a decent petshop, ask them if they would be willing to keep an eye out for you and let you know if any show up.

there are quite a few available locally, heres mine Gonodactylaceus glabrous
IMG_0115.jpg

many mantis are confused as peacock here. if its colourful often thats the name its given. your best bet is to just ask your lfs to keep an eye out for them in a live rock shipment mine was sitting in the bottom of a box they got from cairns.

Roy's List of Stomatopods for the Aquarium
^ probably the best reference guide on the net for them

there are quite a few available locally, heres mine Gonodactylaceus glabrous
IMG_0115.jpg

many mantis are confused as peacock here. if its colourful often thats the name its given. your best bet is to just ask your lfs to keep an eye out for them in a live rock shipment mine was sitting in the bottom of a box they got from cairns.

Roy's List of Stomatopods for the Aquarium
^ probably the best reference guide on the net for them

Awesome Mantis Shrimp, and thanks for the guide, I'm using that now.
By the way, that looks more like a Peacock.

Last edited:
if at all possible get a smasher rather than a slasher. as a smashers dietary and housing requirements are a lot easier

would also be worth joining here Mantis Shrimp - Reef Central Online Community
they have a forum dedicated to mantis shrimp and Roy the bloke that wrote the reference list is on the and more than happy to help plus there is loads of information

Last edited:
Oh wow, thanks!
Yeah a lot of the smashers look better... just wondering about where to get one.

you should be able to go to any lfs that sells live rock or marine stuff, and ask for them to call you if they get one in or find out what day they have a shipment on liverock come in. your best bet is to offer them 20 bucks if they find one to put it in something till you can collect most places just toss them in the bin if they find them as its not worth the risk to there inverts

I just e-mailed Majestic Aquariums and asked them to tell me if they ever find a Mantis in the live rock.

in that pm i sent with the website, they have a give away section and quite often mantis pop up there section

by the way, that looks more like a Peacock.

Are you havin' a laugh? The guy just said most colourful mantis are mislabelled as peacocks, then in the next post you try to say his is a peacock when he has clearly identified it as a glabrous!

As people have said they are pretty easy to come by if you do the rounds of the lfs, especially the small ones. Some will also order larger ones in for about sixty bucks.

does anyone know if we can keep these in WA? Probably not though lol

They don't need to be imported as the are a Australian species. My missus family run a business diving on the reef collect fish, coral, sharks, octopus, rays, and other marine animals and they sell to public and world wide to aquariums. Mantis shrimps are sold for about 20-25$ so in a retail shop a bit more. 40-50 probably.

I've ordered marine animals through wonderfish (google the website) they're based in Brisbane, I'm sure they'd be more than happy (likely excited) to help you.
Though I guess shipping would be an issue unless you're local when it comes to inverts, but they do do it...and wonderfully so. I recieved two beautiful eels from them since I couldn't find any in SA (i really didn't want to put poor critters through the shipping) and they were packaged beautifully, layer upon layer of bagging and padding to ensure their safety. I know that ended up a bit off topic! but I simply meant if they can get them and have to freight, you can be assured they care about your shrimp!

contact mrblue on here mate his name is ryan very clever bloke he will be able tohelp you im sure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back