Poisoned? , Toxic shock

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That sucks. Very sorry for your loss.

I would have thought maybe fridge more than freezer but just because that's what they do with people and other animals right?

im just doing what the vet said to do,
reptiles have a verry fast rate for decomposing, and he is a small stimson
around 80 to 120 grams normaly.

When I first got keelbacks, they all died within 30mins of each other 2 days after getting them, all because they'd treated the fish for whitespot.

So I was in tears, so I do feel your pain... Look up and make sure you advise the pet shop.

Sorry to hear. Someone please correct me if i'm wrong but isnt freezing the wrong way to store an animal destined for an autopsy?

It is my understanding that if the necropsy is to be performed within 48 hours of death, fridge - not freezer.

This is what I have always been advised, so maybe double check it with your vet pyro.

Terrible news,however if the other Anteresias ate from the same batch of rodents,i cant see why any of the others arnt sick or showing any signs of illness..I wouldve thought the fridge would be a much better option then the freezer...

Firstly im sorry you had to go through that,
Watching your pet deteriate beyond your control is the most frustrating, and upsetting things that can/do happen..
Apparently its a neccesary part of learning how to keep reptiles,- hard lessons if there are no answers, -Cant perform on necropsy accurately on body tissue/fluids/ect after frozen.
TOXIC SHOCK
Toxic shock causing death in humans, usually comes about through, the circulatory system shutting down organs, (ie: from strep,or septicemia ect.)
Whole system is 'septip' due to chemical,/ and organic toxins,
The onset of septic/toxic shock would be,- very high temp, vomitting, lethargy, painful, slight rigor,the organ shutdown. This can kill a human, in 24-48 hours. ( thought this may help)
Had a similar thing happen my self,-diamond several years ago,.. and made the mistake of freezing the snake.-( A necropsie wasnt done, even though i had a Vet lined up), -(I still have the diamond snake body in the back freezer, -i should get 'rid' of it soon i spose.)
Vet's can perform certain, pathological test's,and gut contents can be analized,- but im pretty sure, results can be inconclusive, and that sucks even worse.
Mine had an injurie,. then about 6 weeks later, went 'puffy' , had a meal, then went into yawn-like seizures. It was quick though,- no consolation.!
Hope you recover, and try not feel guilty, -you seem to have done all you could under the circumstances.
Sorry once again.

Last edited:
So sorry for your loss! My frogs have just recovered from an infection. Watching them die in your hand was the worst. I ended up losing 3, 1 red eye and 2 magnificents :(

ok i got the autopsy results back from the vet.
he did have a problem with his liver, and accprding to the vet he was over wight for his size/age too. the symptoms discribed also point towards fatty liver disease. (weakaning his immune system) its liklt that what did push him over the edge and killed him was a secondary infection such ar E.coli but with out sending the liver off to toxicolgy /pathology testing, it would be impossible to know for sure.

i am satsfied with the vets findings and wont be chasing up the pathology testing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back