Fish for blue tongues

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trench

Reaction score
Can someone please tell me what is wrong with feeding fish to blue tongues?, as i have feed it to five different blue tongues and they all loved it and had no ill effect from it.

obviously there nothing wrong with feeding fish to blue tongues then? your probley just going to get blasted of people who have owned blue tongues for some time and think they know it all... good idea i would have never of thought of it

obviously there nothing wrong with feeding fish to blue tongues then?

I wouldnt say that, do we know what kind of fish tench has fed his blueys? No. Do we know how long he has been feeding fish to his blueys? No.

As far as i know its only saltwater fish (the fish used in catfood) thats not good which i would think may have something to do with the oils and/or high salt content. Freshwater fish should be fine

Oils, High salt content and mercury. If you fed your blue tongue's enough tuna they would die.

There's probably nothing intrinsically wrong with feeding fish to Blue Tongues but can't imagine a BT managing to catch a live fish in the wild and I doubt it's part of their natural diet.

Tuna is high up on the food chain so it gets compounded amounts of mercury when it eats other fish. Having a high mercury content means that eating an excess of tuna will cause it to build up and compound in the blue tongue. Mercury is an enzyme inhibitor and will slowly kill the blue tongue.

Dolphins have been found dead on the beach and the cause to have been mercury poisoning.

It's called biological magnification, animal systems don't have the capacity to remove certain substances (like mercury, DDT etc) from the body so it slowly accumulates and increases in concentration as you go up the food chain.

Although this is at a very slow rate so I couldn't imagine if a bluetongue was occasionally fed fish that it would show any adverse effects. Just like it doesn't have an effect on most people as far as I know (but it is advised to eat smaller fish that are lower on the food chain). Obviously dolphins are more at risk as they feed exclusively on fish and other marine prey.

I think, as others have said, any problems with feeding fish to reptiles would be the differences from their natural diet... oil, protein etc. Which again shouldn't be a problem if it is part of a good varied diet or an occasional treat.

If you are inclined to feed fish obviously use 100% fish rather than anything flavor enhanced.

Last edited:
can't imagine a BT managing to catch a live fish in the wild and I doubt it's part of their natural diet.

Can't imagine them tackling a cow in the middle of the paddock either, but they seem to thrive on beef or lamb whiskas cat food :)

It's called biological magnification, animal systems don't have the capacity to remove certain substances (like mercury, DDT etc) from the body so it slowly accumulates and increases in concentration as you go up the food chain.

Although this is at a very slow rate so I couldn't imagine if a bluetongue was occasionally fed fish that it would show any adverse effects, just like it doesn't have an effect on most people as far as I know (but it is advised to eat smaller fish that are lower on the food chain). Obviously dolphins are more at risk as they feed exclusively on fish and other marine prey.

I think as others have said any problems with feeding fish to reptiles would be the differences from their natural diet... oil, protein etc. Which again shouldn't be a problem if it is part of a good varied diet.

If you are inclined to feed fish obviously use 100% fish rather than anything flavor enhanced.
It has affected some people but they were eating high food chain animals such as dolphin. If you gave your bluey fish all the time you would see the effects for sure.

Dolpins are going to eat a whole lot more Tuna than the average Bluetongue, my 15 yo cat has been eating Tuna sometimes twice a day since I got him and he's going strong. I think a Blue tongue will die from poor diet or even boredom before mercury poisoning

How can you say for sure?

Ok well the solution would be to use smaller, lower food chain species if you believe in it that strongly but I can't find any evidence. I don't eat tuna but I don't think they even label warnings on the can? Personally I don't see the point of using fish when there are much cheaper alternatives anyway.

Keep in mind canned tuna is usually smaller animals less then a year old and so have significantly lower mercury levels than your average adult tuna.

I think American food organisations are pushing towards having more warnings. Anywho hence staying away from salt water species as some scientists are saying the mercury comes from aqua furs and that would mean a higher concentration in the sea than in rivers. Mercury is becoming more of a concern as there is some research to suggest that the mercury levels in the ocean are rising but some research to suggest it has stayed the same. I rarely eat tuna as I prefer much nicer fish but well Gummy shark is pretty high up there too isn't it. King George Whitting however is low on the mercury list and that is one of my preferred fish. The only thing I would say is that a diet that consists of tuna for a blue tongue would not be wise as mercury would be present and can be a danger to the health.

Keep in mind canned tuna is usually smaller animals less then a year old and so have significantly lower mercury levels than your average adult tuna.
Fair point.

I agree with you Dannyboi, but I just think the risk is very low. I think regardless of what people feed there pets they need variety for a healthy diet and they should be fine.

Yeah the risk is low at this stage but if mercury levels continue to rise it may become more of a concern. The only time I would say no variety is with Spectrum and Fish food. There are probably other reasons people say to not feed blue tongue's the fish from cat food I have heard it for years now. Never given the reason though.

Can't imagine them tackling a cow in the middle of the paddock either, but they seem to thrive on beef or lamb whiskas cat food :)

I'm sure their diet is more likely to include invertebrates than either mammals, fish or birds but they are more likely to come across a suitable mammal prey than a piscine one in their natural habitat. I'm yet to see a goldfish wandering around a paddock. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back