Please help identify this snake skin

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mattb_logan

Reaction score
IMG_0138.jpgIMG_0139.jpgIMG_0140.jpgIMG_0137.jpg

I just found this skin outside my back door. Should I be worried about the kids?

I live in Loganholme (between Brisbane and Gold Coast) about 1.5km from the Logan River.

Mid-body scale count is 17.

I counted 117 ventral scales, but I am obviously missing a lot of the skin.

thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I think it would probably help people to let them know where you found it (as in where you live)

It looks like a venomous species to me because I cant see a loreal scale and the ventral scales are quite wide.

With the kids just make sure that if they see a snake they know that they need to leave it alone, and it should be ok. Most snake bites occur when people are trying to kill the snake.
Also snakes often move on quite quickly, venomous snakes are usually just passing through. If you do happen to find a venomous snake around the house you can call a snake catcher to come around and catch and relocate the snake

dont vens have double scales underneath not singles like pythons?

elapids dont have divided ventral scales no, some have divided subcaudals but we cant see those in the pic. It doesnt have enough mid body scales to be a python either

Last edited:
Scale counts are not always needed. A process of elimanation can be used first of all. The skins an elapid and the location of Brisbane was given. The beer bottle gives an indication of the snakes length. There are only 3 species of elapids that grow that big in that area to choose from. Makes it pretty easy.

Red Bellied Black..really common around Loganlea/Slacks Creek

Cheers,
Scott Eipper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back