The Birds

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have some beautiful birds, quite a variety of them thats for sure! I love the green cheek conures, have always been my favourite

nice birds mate...we have a few as well,but no amazons tho.... just teals,budgies,kaks,suberbs,lorikeets,grassies 80 odd birds,give or take a few lolol

at 73 years old, have very recently decides to collect a few finches....will start with a pair of Zebras, and get some experience have done a lot of rescherch,now must buy a couple of finch cages, all the other necessary parphanalia, and work -out where to buy some healthy birds...was keeping tropical fish as long ago as 1948

Stevo It is most definately a small world mate. I haven't got any plecs any more due to my work schedul. Did you happen to meet your girlfriend on the tour? You are quite right in that maturity can at times be a problem with Amazons. No doubt though you will be able to work through it with him. He's a stunning bird.

Thanks everyone for your nice comments. Jacorin I find it best to keep the birds you enjoy most or it is no longer fun. Clearly you are enjoying yourself and that's all that matters. Sesa-sayin you are definately never too old to start. Great to see more people getting into the hobby.

Here are a few more photos of some of our young and adult birds which I photographed yesterday.

Some of our Aviaries
aviaries.jpg

African Grey (Stevo these were the ones breeding when the tour come round. They produced three young)
african grey.jpg

Young Amazons (DYH & BF)
amazons.jpg

Blue-fronted Conure
blue-throat.jpg

Green-cheeked Conure
green-cheek.jpg

Crimson-bellied Conure Pair
crimsonbelliedconures.jpg

Young Caique (after a bath)
wet caique.jpg

Pablo (one of our Yellow-crowned Amazons)
pablo.jpg

Senegal Parrot
senegal.jpg

Hahn's Macaws in the nursery
Hahn's Macaws.jpg

Blue & Gold Macaw Babies
blue & Golds.jpg

Wanna Scratch (one of the macaws being reared now)
macaw scratch.jpg

Same bird as above doing a big stretch
wing stretch.jpg

Blue & Gold Macaw adult bird
macaw.jpg

That's All Folks.

Last edited:
beautiful set up and birds mate. I really love the crimson bellied conures. I used to keep and breed australian native parrots a number of years ago but the reptiles completly took over! I would love to get some more birds again. One day!!!

Stevo It is most definitely a small world mate. I haven't got any plecs any more due to my work schedule. Did you happen to meet your girlfriend on the tour? You are quite right in that maturity can at times be a problem with Amazons. No doubt though you will be able to work through it with him. He's a stunning bird.

Thanks everyone for your nice comments. Jacorin I find it best to keep the birds you enjoy most or it is no longer fun. Clearly you are enjoying yourself and that's all that matters. Sesa-sayin you are definitely never too old to start. Great to see more people getting into the hobby.

Here are a few more photos of some of our young and adult birds which I photographed yesterday.

That's All Folks.

Big relief that all us rowdy visitors didn't upset the Greys!! :D The ones I've seen at Priam are incredibly skittish and bash into the mesh when strangers are around..

I knew Bel previously, online, but the Conference was the first time we'd met in person. Awesome to find someone with the same crazy interests.. hehe.. I'm heading overseas with work next week and we're planning on visiting Loro Parque together mid-year when I get a break.

I also no longer have time for the fish! Lots of empty tanks line my garage....lol.

Albs Crimson-bellied Conures are brilliant little birds and as you can see quite stunning. They are also quite cheap compared to when we first saw them years back. If you get into birds I'd suggest getting a few of these guys. Just stunning is all I can say.

Stevo the grey's did great. We don't like a lot of visitors and such a large crowd can be a worry. The convention group though were brilliant and very respectful and the Parrot Society did well in their organizing. The bank of aviaries housing the Grey's was the only bank where the tour group were not permitted to enter because of the birds on eggs. One or two people were given a quick look and then made a hasty retreat. The crimson-bellied conures are also housed in that bank and were sitting on eggs as well. They too produced young.

It's great to hear that you met Bel finally at the conference. Loro Parque is great and we've been given the chance to do a very rare behind the scenes tour which will be exciting when we get over there. I'm sure you will enjoy it mate. I hope you have a great time away although it is with work lol.

Leeloofluff Macaws are great but they can be loud too. I've experienced a number of loud calls whilst handing the birds and it can be a little painful.

Last edited:
back in 1998 i had the chance to see the local president of the BH bird club, he had a pair of Blue & Gold Macaw in a huge aviary out the back of his house

he took me inside of it and one of them flew down and landed on my shoulder, man those claws are huge when right in your face

totally magnificent birds indeed and if i had the money i would have a pair myself

i really envy you

this is rosie, we only got her a few weeks ago, not a great pic of her but shes still learning to trust me, she is a Rosa Bourke

DSCF0009-8.jpg

DSCF0006-8.jpg

Albs Crimson-bellied Conures are brilliant little birds and as you can see quite stunning. They are also quite cheap compared to when we first saw them years back. If you get into birds I'd suggest getting a few of these guys. Just stunning is all I can say.

Stevo the grey's did great. We don't like a lot of visitors and such a large crowd can be a worry. The convention group though were brilliant and very respectful and the Parrot Society did well in their organizing. The bank of aviaries housing the Grey's was the only bank where the tour group were not permitted to enter because of the birds on eggs. One or two people were given a quick look and then made a hasty retreat. The crimson-bellied conures are also housed in that bank and were sitting on eggs as well. They too produced young.

It's great to hear that you met Bel finally at the conference. Loro Parque is great and we've been given the chance to do a very rare behind the scenes tour which will be exciting when we get over there. I'm sure you will enjoy it mate. I hope you have a great time away although it is with work lol.

Leeloofluff Macaws are great but they can be loud too. I've experienced a number of loud calls whilst handing the birds and it can be a little painful.

When are you guys heading over? Be great to see your pics when you get back! We'll be trying to arrange something similar, given the dangerous nature of my work and the rare opportunity given for some respite halfway through my trip.. Would love to catch up off-thread (PM/Email) for any contact details or advice you might have on who's best to speak to over there. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back