Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Melusina

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi, my name is Mel, I'm 19 and have always been an animal lover. I train my native and exotic companion parrots as a hobby and recently began breeding. I have basically kept all manner of animals except reptiles! Snakes have always captivated me and I feel we are privileged to be able to own such beautiful and unique creatures. I plan to attend the Victorian Herpetological Society Reptile Expo in Melbourne, which will be a great place to get an introduction to owning a python, I'm sure! I always research and ask lots of questions before considering a new pet- especially one I haven't been exposed to much- which lands me here where I can hopefully gain some knowledge from experienced reptile keepers and breeders.

Now, the python that strikes me the most (forgive the pun!) is the jungle carpet python. I have read that this species is aggressive, but I have also read that they are great for beginners. It amazes me how contradictory information on the net can be! Which is true? I am under the impression that an individual python's temperament is more reliant on its upbringing- depending on factors such as how often it was handled, how well it was cared for, whether or not it was fed in its vivarium etc. If I got a jungle carpet python from a good breeder that handled their snakes regularly, would this produce a docile animal? Would it be better to get a hatchling and teach it myself or get an older snake? Why?

Having kept parrots since I was 9 or so, I am not afraid of getting bitten (hooked beaks can cause a lot of damage) but my 10 year old sister would want to handle the snake too. She's used to being level-headed around my birds, and is an 'animal-aware' child, but obviously I would rather a docile snake that isn't so quick to bite.

This brings me to the second on my list; the black headed python. I have read that generally instead of biting, these snakes will head butt you as a warning. This sounds better for a beginner but if I am going to have this snake for 30 years or so, shouldn't I go for what I really want? Should I go with my heart or my head? I do want a snake that is aesthetically pleasing (hey, I own pretty parrots, I want a pretty snake!) that also tolerates hanging out on/ with me occasionally.

I realize snakes don't actually "like" being handled, but will learn to tolerate it. Is there another species that would suit me more or could a well-raised jungle carpet fit the ticket? I appreciate any info given and congratulate anyone who read through all that! I'm very naive to snakes and snake owning. May I also ask what is the best thing about owning snakes? What is the worst?

PS. I feel I am stating the obvious here, but I wanted to reassure everyone that my precious parrots would never come into contact with my snake.

Melusina

Your spot on, get what you want.
Jungles will be great for your first snake, but it defiantly won't be your last.

Jannico

Hey Mel.... Welcome.
IMO the best species for beginers is Olive python but every snake has it's own charater! no set species will or will not bite/strike etc. if you are trying to adapt to snakes again IMO Jungles look awsome but not the easiest to handle but again each snake is different. I would start with a hatchie as when you purchase an older snakle you never know or understand its sounds/movements/actions etc
I agree having an amazon crowned (bird) bite hurts a sh#@ load more than any of my snakes lol
Handling the python is something you will need to but also by from a reputble breeder if you need advice locally PM me
the herp show is a great idea awsome products CHEAP and get free advice from people in the know

The more I read about them, the more I want a JCP... I love arboreal snakes, it'd be so fun setting up the vivarium with places to climb and perch.
There will be more!? Snakes must be addictive like parrots.. and pets in general. You have quite a collection yourself! :)

IMO the best species for beginers is Olive python but every snake has it's own charater!

Are you being sarcastic?

The more I read about them, the more I want a JCP... I love arboreal snakes, it'd be so fun setting up the vivarium with places to climb and perch.
There will be more!? Snakes must be addictive like parrots.. and pets in general. You have quite a collection yourself!

Yes they can look really attractive! My mates has some crackers.
All of your carpet pythons are arboreal.

Thanks I'm very happy with my collection.
Good luck getting your Jungle Python!

Thanks for the welcome, Aaron. An Olive python was the first snake I remember holding. Was a very placid snake, but I prefer the look of patterned pythons.
Yes I mostly like JCP's for their appearance, and I know for a fact that's not the best reason to buy an animal, but I'm willing to put in the hard yards to create a well adjusted, happy, healthy snake. I'm also leaning toward getting a hatchling for the reasons you stated and for the joys of watching it grow up!
Do you have an amazon? Yeah snake bites look like nothing compared to my galah!
Thanks I might PM you for info once I get started looking for a good breeder, and shop for supplies etc. I'm really looking forward to the show!

Yes they can look really attractive! My mates has some crackers.
I was thinking of getting an older JCP because its adult colours would have come through, but I think any JCP is going to be a snazzy looking animal and that there are more important aspects anyway!

There are a few things to consider when getting your first snake such as,
how big do you want it to get, something small like the antaresia family such as childrens or spotteds etc, or something large like an olive python that can grow to over 12ft and happily devour rabbits that will be in the freezer next to mums steaks and sausages,
how much do you want to spend on the animal, prices start as low as $150 give or take and go right up into the thousands per animal,
also enclosure set up costs, the bigger the animal, the bigger the enclosure so the more room it takes up and the more it costs to run,
and then food bill, a bigger animal will cost you more and lastly,
the animals temperament, some can be naturally snappy and others placid, jungles can be placid and some can be really snappy all comes down to the expereince and enjoyment you want from your animals.

I will have to add my two cents on behalf of the Black headed python. The aspidites species in general have some amazing characteristics and qualities. Yes it is true they tend to bluff, and head but instead of sinking their teeth. Unless they think you're food, which you will soon learn to figure out and how to approach them for a cuddle so they don't get confused.

Mine just whips around quickly when startled/or feeling threatened and hisses quite loudly. Hasn't tried to strike. Even on one occasion when feeding it has headbutted it's prey instead of going teeth first. However if she did decide to go at with me with her teeth I reckon it'd be much more full on than say a carpet of similar proportion, just in the way I've seen them use their energy when startled/threatened compared to carpets.

They are very inquisitive and the aspidites that I have witnessed and been around all show a great deal of interest in anyone near their enclosure or in the room, they will watch anyone. They are also very active, confident and quite strong. My BHP has no problems in coming cruising out her home and up my arm and around my shoulders/waist.

Definitely reccommend one of the two types of this species. By far the most interesting and entertaining IMO.

Michael

Last edited:
Go with your heart, the temperament is more dependant on the individual snake than the breed. In my opinion a yearling is best because, not too little, better eaters, usually have settled into their temperament, you get a better idea on its final colour and pattern. ps see you at the Expo.

I will have to add my two cents on behalf of the Black headed python. The aspidites species in general have some amazing characteristics and qualities. Yes it is true they tend to bluff, and head but instead of sinking their teeth. Unless they think you're food, which you will soon learn to figure out and how to approach them for a cuddle so they don't get confused.

Mine just whips around quickly when startled/or feeling threatened and hisses quite loudly. Hasn't tried to strike. Even on one occasion when feeding it has headbutted it's prey instead of going teeth first. However if she did decide to go at with me with her teeth I reckon it'd be much more full on than say a carpet of similar proportion, just in the way I've seen them use their energy when startled/threatened compared to carpets.

They are very inquisitive and the aspidites that I have witnessed and been around all show a great deal of interest in anyone near their enclosure or in the room, they will watch anyone. They are also very active, confident and quite strong. My BHP has no problems in coming cruising out her home and up my arm and around my shoulders/waist.

Definitely reccommend one of the two types of this species. By far the most interesting and entertaining IMO.

Michael

I agree, my first snake was a bhp and what a beautiful calm natured animal she is. I have had her 4 years now and she has only ever struck at me once and that was when I woke her up. If you look around you can get some beautiful coloured BHPs. I would highly recommend them. The best thing to do is to look for a reputable breeder of them, that way you will get a nice calm snake.

AaronR. seriously you would recommend an olive python for a first snake??? i would have to strongly disagree with you on that one. they are generally (not all) a little flighty and they get huge. mel as stated get what you want. as long as you source it from a reputable breeder you will be fine.

Lol @ the recommendation of an Olive python as a first snake for a 19 year old girl who probably smells like birds(no offence Melusina, i'm sure it probably isn't even detectable to the human nose). Particularly when today i had a wonderful time trying to break free from my usually good handling adult Olive. Blood everywhere(mine, not the snakes). It's okay though, i love him even more for it. A snake can be as placid as a puppy dog but still make the mistake of thinking your arm is dinner. They aren't as clever as parrots....

Just plain nuts's advice of getting a yearling or older Jungle so you can get an idea of its temperament before buying is the go.

My second snake was a Jungle Python, was a jerk when i first got him but now hes so great. Im captivated by him pretty patterns and hes always on the move in his tank, checking out the branches and looking at me. Id highly reccomend them, but only if you plan to handle them every day.

All my jungles are super placid... I didn't plan it that way as I don't handle my animals that much... they just are. It's not hard to find a placid jungle, just ask the breeder your buying it from.

Thanks hugsta, you gave me some good points to think about. I don't want a small snake and I don't want a large, something in between is nice! I'm happy with the size that jungles can grow to (4-8 feet) I think that's medium size? I'm willing to spend a good amount of money for quality. My mum is used to me and my interest in taxidermy, so frozen rats will be no issue and fortunately we have two freezers. My animals eat better than I do, I'm used to spending a lot of money on top quality food for my parrots. I can only hope that I get a placid animal, but more importantly a good feeder. I'm confident I can work with the snake either way.

Thanks Michael, your description sounds close to what I'm looking for in a snake. I liked the fact that they show an awareness of the people in their environment. I think I prefer the arboreals more than a burrower, but I'm keeping my mind open to both species, and other species too. You BHP sounds lovely!
And Cleo, you make them sound like very placid snakes as well. It's so difficult to choose between such different species!

Just_Plain_Nuts, I have been wondering whether a hatchling or yearling is better. Your reasons for a yearling sound logical, so I'll probably lean towards that. Thanks for the info and yeah see you at the expo. I'm the one with black and blonde hair, not hard to miss!

haha Parko I can guarantee I smell like birds (my birds smell like candy, fruit and must) and probably rats too. In fact my whole end of the house probably reeks of them. How will this effect my snake? It must be very stimulating, will it help a snake to be a good feeder? They will think they have died and gone to heaven! I will have to be careful to make sure I shower or at least wash my hands before feeding a snake.

Leeloofluff, your jungle sounds cool! I certainly plan to handle every day. My parrots need lots of interaction every day so I'm used to that.

D3pro, that's good to hear you have lots of naturally placid jungles. Do you know originally what wild "area" they came from in QLD? I heard that pythons from the "tablelands" are naturally less aggressive. I'll be asking around breeders to try and find what I'm looking for.

I have another Q. What kind of activities can you do while a snake is hanging out on your shoulders? Do you have to be careful not to stress the animal?

In my opinion.

If you wan't a jungle python, get a jungle python.

You have to be happy with the purchase you make.

Don't get a ____________ because people say to,

I got told to get a Childrens python by various people for mine, but I don't like them...

I got a yearling Darwin python as my first, she's awesome, nice colour, never bitten and lots of people say they are "bitey".

It's the individual snake.

Just handle it a few times before you buy it, make sure you know what you are getting.

Try get one from a breeder, the prices are much cheaper as you would know and pet shops try sell you everything.

I'd definitely recommend a Jungle. I got a yearling that was a total jerk as my first. I was forced to learn very quickly what the right and wrong ways to handle a snake are and now he's really placid. So as someone else said when you inevitably get more you will know what you're doing and won't be freaked out by something that is a little snappy. Plus I think snappy snakes are good for first timers as they tend to feed well because they go anything that dangles in their face.
Supposedly the prettier the Jungle the crazier they are but as long as you get it young enough I can't see any reason why it can't be trained to settle down (only time I've heard this isn't the case is with scrubbies which seem to get worse as time goes on)

Jungles are a fantastic first snake (I got a 2 week old atherton just over 4 years ago) Jungles have a "reputation" for being snappy yes, but each snake is different and it is best to handle them before you make a decision to see how you feel about them. I would definitely recommend a younger snake, especially if you are planning on handling them alot. My atherton was out every day when I first got her and she is the calmest snake around, whereas my diamond and my partners atherton were both almost a year old and were hardly ever handled and are a bit scared when being handled

I think as well that a younger snake will get to know your scent and become attached to you (thats what my atherton has done) Whereas an older snake might be set in their ways

This is just from my own personal experience, so if anyone wants to flame me, go ahead :p

Joshua, there was a jungle at a good pet shop nearby, I hope it's still there so I can have a hold! Th expo will be good for sussing out species too, but I'm fairly sure a Jungle is what I want. Don't worry, I don't believe in buying animals from pet shops so I'll definitely be going to a breeder.

Saximus, I'm beginning to realize that it's important to get a young snake to raise in order to learn how to interact with each other. I'm happy to hear so many stories of nippy youngsters settling down with some good handling. I'm an "expert" at avoiding parrot bites, so I'm used to reading animal body language which is often subtle, so hopefully I can just know when to leave snakey alone! I'll remember to avoid "scrubbies..." but what are they exactly!? haha.. also what is the best "type" of jungle carpet to get? I keep hearing the names of different lines and have no idea of their characteristics/ appearances.

Junglecarpet, you make some interesting points. Do you believe an older hatchling would be a good age? I'm guessing a hatchling that has a good feed/ shed history already would be the best bet? Do you have a rough idea of how many months old would be good? I like the idea of the snake growing up knowing my scent and becoming "attached" to me.

Scrub Python. Also known as Amethystine Python. They are the biggest snake in Australia and supposedly have a reputation for being very friendly one day then turning on and trying to kill their owners the next day.
There are so many different types of Jungle it's hard to know. I'd be interested to hear from a pro what all the different names mean. I've seen Atherton Jungles that were so dull they were almost brown rather than yellow and I've also ones that look like a yellow highlighter they are so bright.
Just a couple of months old should be fine. So long as it's had a couple of sheds and is feeding well they are your two biggest issues to worry about

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back