are thermostats necessary?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've used heat globes and it seemed to cause more trouble than it was worth. Now I just use a heat mat with enough space between the heat mat and the floor of the enclosure to diffuse the heat sufficiently to stop that section of the floor of the enclosure getting too hot. Never had a problem with the heat mat so far, and have had no need for a thermostat.

Last edited:
How hard is it to use the right wattage globe/mat for what you need? You don't need years of experience with herps to be able to buy a few different wattage globes and be able to read a thermometer. Its not rocket science.

On hot days, turn them off. I have mine set on a timer so that they aren't on all day either. Summer up here most days I don't have them on at all unless its raining (which is most of the time anyway though).

People say if you can't afford all the gear (ie. thermostats), then maybe you shouldn't own a snake. How about, if you can't remember to look after your animal and turn the heat off on 40 degree days then maybe you shouldn't own a snake. Do you forget to feed your dog or cat? Whats the difference really?

I have forgotten to turn heat on during winter on the odd day doesn't mean i shouldnt own snakes. with two kids and my husband working away for 3 weeks at a time and a job of my own its easy to slip the mind. i love my snakes and so far so good on the health of them. Its not rocket science its a personal choice. By the way its a lot easier looking after a dog or cat during a hot day they have a tonne of water that doesn't run out and a shady cool area to sleep in and most of the time a yard where they can choose the place of rest. an enclosure is slightly different. it doesn't matter if you choose to use them or not. nobody should be saying you shouldn't own a snake if you can't afford a thermostat or you shouldn't own a snake if can't get temps perfect without one. people are here on the forum to get advice thats what we should be giving. i have seen so many different set ups with heating and thermostats and without thermostats and all snakes are alive and kicking so i can't say which way works better. they both can have their flaws just like everything.

I have forgotten to turn heat on during winter on the odd day doesn't mean i shouldnt own snakes. with two kids and my husband working away for 3 weeks at a time and a job of my own its easy to slip the mind. i love my snakes and so far so good on the health of them. Its not rocket science its a personal choice. By the way its a lot easier looking after a dog or cat during a hot day they have a tonne of water that doesn't run out and a shady cool area to sleep in and most of the time a yard where they can choose the place of rest. an enclosure is slightly different. it doesn't matter if you choose to use them or not. nobody should be saying you shouldn't own a snake if you can't afford a thermostat or you shouldn't own a snake if can't get temps perfect without one. people are here on the forum to get advice thats what we should be giving. i have seen so many different set ups with heating and thermostats and without thermostats and all snakes are alive and kicking so i can't say which way works better. they both can have their flaws just like everything.

I agree totally. This thread seems to be getting a bit personal. I'm surprised a mod hasn't closed it yet. It started with a guy asking whether he should use a thermostat and now has people telling each other they shouldn't own snakes if they need one.
It's a personal choice and I think it depends on people's situations more than anything. There are so many considerations including where the enclosure is, how stable the temp around the enclosure is, the size of the enclosure etc. So to the OP you should probably use the constructive comments on here and decide whether you need one by your own circumstances

Just on a side note....... Most heatmats have written on the packaging "must be used with a thermostat" and failure to do so will void your warranty should any claim arise. This is not only isolated to brands that also sell thermostats.
There is no need to close the thread, sticks and stones.

If you design your cage and surrounds so as not to need a thermostat it can never overheat and there is no thermostat to break down.
Unfortunately many keepers dont have the space or the knowhow, particularly new keepers,so I recommend thermostats at least until you know what you are doing.

I use thermostats in all our cages always have always will,I also know a lot about cage design and heating etc.Lots of breeders use thermostats in their cages including some of the bigger ones like southernx.Bottom line is there is no "one right" way to do things,anyone telling you otherwise is full of it.

If you design your cage and surrounds so as not to need a thermostat it can never overheat and there is no thermostat to break down.
Unfortunately many keepers dont have the space or the knowhow, particularly new keepers,so I recommend thermostats at least until you know what you are doing.

Without reading back, wokka has nailed it best. If you are not comfortable with monitoring you setup sufficiently, a thermostat will offer that bit of extra security. That said, I use low wattage bulbs without thermos and have no problems.

Just out of curiosity where do those of you who don't use them keep your enclosures? Mine are in the garage so the surrounding temp can go from 0° in winter to almost 40° in these stupid heat waves. I don't know how I'd be able to go without one even with a "properly" set up enclosure

i keep all mine in the shed. A thermostat will not have any effect on the cool end temp. I'm not sure what people expect the thermo's to do to the cool end temp when the room temps up to 40c.

Yeah I know the cool end will be room temp no matter what but I just meant that with such a variation in the outside temps I seem to get a more even enclosure temp by using one. Maybe I just don't know how to set up an enclosure properly still. What do you mean by that? Is it just the globe-enclosure size ratio or also where you have air vents etc?

Last edited:
First i will clarify 1 thing. I think the big issue is not the thermostats but people using a heat source that is to excessive for their needs. Use an appropriate heap source and then yes, no issues with using a thermo. Now as i said its alot to do with the size of the heat source aswell as the ventilation. More ventilation, more airflow, better temp gradient. You also have to have a large enough enclosure (doesnt need to be massive) to be able to provide a hot end without it heating up the cool end.

Just out of curiosity where do those of you who don't use them keep your enclosures? Mine are in the garage so the surrounding temp can go from 0° in winter to almost 40° in these stupid heat waves. I don't know how I'd be able to go without one even with a "properly" set up enclosure

That is why I include design of cages AND SURROUNDS. My sheds are insulated and so even in the current heatwave where outside has hit 44C my room peaks at 33C. Normally my ambient is 25-28c and I control that by keeping out the daytime hot air and harvesting the cool night air.
I realise that it is not worth doing this for a few snakes, but I try to minimise my energy consumption whilst have a low labour input and minimal room for error.

when i built my enclosure (1800h x 1200w x 750d) i was slammed for having a fully ventilated roof, and the entire bottom half of the sides ventilated. (I was told It will never work) I dont run a thermo, she only has a 25w heat cord and a 40w light for daylight simulation in winter. yes it's in the house, but i dont climate control my house, and there is no airconditioner in the room she is in. She has been in there for a full 12 months now and is powering along, she quite lays on the branch seemingly enjoying the breeze when i open the front door ! !
Each setup is going to be different to 'set up right'. where it is kept is a large part of the calculation, if its in a house it would have different heating and ventilation requirements than an uninsulated shed.

i keep all mine in the shed. A thermostat will not have any effect on the cool end temp. I'm not sure what people expect the thermo's to do to the cool end temp when the room temps up to 40c.

Funny how the people that use thermostats can understand that you can get away without one, although not recommended IMO, and those that don't use them carry on about them being a waste....

Hornet, by having a thermostat it turns off your heat source, if needed, without one, it stays on all the time. So, on a day when your herp room is 40degC your heat light is still blazing away heating up the enclosure, whilst mine has turned off with no heat being generated at all. Oh, it's only 40 watts, it still burns a lot hotter than 40 deg C and it will still raise the temp of the enclosure by at least 4 or 5 degrees. Oh, sorry, of course, you turned off all your heat because you watch the news or check the weather on the net to see what the 'highly accurate' weatherman has forecasted. Well that's great, but for most of us normal people, we often forget things, especially if you have a family and kids.
So for those that are just starting out and aren't familiar with different cage designs, as you can't buy them in a shop, or how to set them up correctly and don't have a flawless memory and never ever forget to turn power off, it is a piece of highly valued equipment that should be part of any beginners set up. Then, once they have established themselves with some experience and want to take the risk without one then fine, go ahead. Or maybe they have massive shed where they can put in overly large enclosures with tons of ventilation so they don't need one as well. JMO

I dont see how a thermostat will prevent burns. If you be sensible with the wattage when using heat matts and cords and use cages on globes there will be pretty much no risk of burns without a thermostat

IMO thermostats are rubbish. They are a complete waste of money and provide a false sense of security. I have been keeping reps since i was 10 or 11 and i have never used a thermostat apart from for my incubator. I use low wattage heating so that even on full bore it doesnt get overly hot. If you use an adequately sized enclosure then there is no need for a thermostat, they can regulate their own temp by moving to the cool end. As for those days when the room temp hits the high 30's early 40's whats a thermostat going to do? It wont reduce the cool end temp what so ever. Snakes will actively move to regulate their body temp so if the hot end gets a little too hot for their liking on a warm day they will migrate towards the cool end, they wont just sit on the hot spot and cook like people seem to think they will. Personally i have seen alot more problems (major burns or even death) from a failing thermostat then from one not being used.

Nicely put sir...:)

Funny how the people that use thermostats can understand that you can get away without one, although not recommended IMO, and those that don't use them carry on about them being a waste....

Hornet, by having a thermostat it turns off your heat source, if needed, without one, it stays on all the time. So, on a day when your herp room is 40degC your heat light is still blazing away heating up the enclosure, whilst mine has turned off with no heat being generated at all. Oh, it's only 40 watts, it still burns a lot hotter than 40 deg C and it will still raise the temp of the enclosure by at least 4 or 5 degrees. Oh, sorry, of course, you turned off all your heat because you watch the news or check the weather on the net to see what the 'highly accurate' weatherman has forecasted. Well that's great, but for most of us normal people, we often forget things, especially if you have a family and kids.
So for those that are just starting out and aren't familiar with different cage designs, as you can't buy them in a shop, or how to set them up correctly and don't have a flawless memory and never ever forget to turn power off, it is a piece of highly valued equipment that should be part of any beginners set up. Then, once they have established themselves with some experience and want to take the risk without one then fine, go ahead. Or maybe they have massive shed where they can put in overly large enclosures with tons of ventilation so they don't need one as well. JMO

spot on mate.

Exactly why you would use one. You would need a higher wattage heat source to get 32deg at 0 deg than you would at say 25deg in your shed.... I think it's just a case of kids riding no hands down the street.. LOOK AT ME EVERYONE! NO HANDS!!!! (except this time the kids are screaming "LOOK AT ME!!! NO THERMOSTAT".. hahaha geeks!) Who cares what YOU do... As long as the snakes are healthy and the system is working for you, then all is well JMO

This thread is stupid :)
Perhaps heat isn't needed anyway... ;):rolleyes:8):lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
More ventilation, more airflow, better temp gradient.
try pulling this off where i live man, it was 46 here in the shade the other day u can have all the vents in the world but if i switched any heat at all on my snake would be a peice of jerky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back