Chicken necks? any good?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Luohanfan

Reaction score
Ive heard a few people mention feeding chicken necks to there snakes..
Are they any good?
is there much nutrition in them for a snake?
Id like to mix up the diet a bit more for my snake, but unsure of the benefits/downfalls of using chicken necks and alike..

Hey mate i guess first of all chicken necks are very high in fat which may result in runny poos, also having no fur or feathers they may lack a little more nutrients than a a quail or rat would have as chicken necks generally don't have the feathers on them. It's not something i've tried on my snakes before so i guess someone who has done it would have to tell you the benefits other than it may help put weight on if thats your goal. i also have heard of people doing it time to time but as for the benefits in it who knows?

I've asked the same questions before and a lot of people seem to do it to mix up the diet and to reduce cost. Those who do use them say they have plenty of nutrition and are perfectly fine as a supplement to regular feed items

You can if you cant get anything else whole food products are better necks are ok for a short not as nutritios as say mice/rat/rabbit

Not for me, not even as a stopgap, they can wait the extra time till you can get them a proper feed, and a rest will do them good.

For years ive feed my pythons on chicken necks-drumsticks,with nil problems.The yearlings etc get necks while the larger sub-adults get chicken drumsticks.I do however take the skin of them,i breed rats and its not like i dont have enough,I do like to give them some variations in some meals.I do only feed them chicken once every 2-4feeds.The Aspidities love them,Some say people only feed chicken necks etc as a cheap way of feeding them,not in my case as i breed my own..Also when i have quails i also feed them.

Thanks guys..
it just got me wondering as all i can get close is rats and mice, so i vary between adult mice and fuzzy rats for my snakes..
I would like to give them more variety and keep them happy and healthy..

Thanks guys..
it just got me wondering as all i can get close is rats and mice, so i vary between adult mice and fuzzy rats for my snakes..
I would like to give them more variety and keep them happy and healthy..

Whole foods will keep them healthy, as for happy...:?

Hey P73, How do your Quails go on Giblets....:)

GREAT,considering your against it,give me ANY evidence or proof it does them any harm..Ive NEVER had any issues with feeding necks-drumsticks.A olive or scrub can-will eat whole chickens,so whats the difference with just feeding part of one...Im not going to debate it with you.I realise whole foods are great,i ONLY feed them on occasions,(once a month).

GREAT,considering your against it,give me ANY evidence or proof it does them any harm..Ive NEVER had any issues with feeding necks-drumsticks.A olive or scrub can-will eat whole chickens,so whats the difference with just feeding part of one...Im not going to debate it with you.I realise whole foods are great,i ONLY feed them on occasions,(once a month).

Easy Tiger ! as I said, not for me, trust a City supporter to have a sense of humour bypass ....

I feed them to bhps and womas most feeds pythons73 dont worry mate there all ways has to be one....

Nothing wrong with it as a supplementary feed now and then, much less fat than a rat, chicken necks tend to be skinless

ok, this might be a silly thought, but what about things like roo meat? its very lean..
Chicken breast?
Im not even considering feeding large amounts, just a once in a while feed to mix up the diet..

just tried my woma on his first chook neck, he didnt smash it but just opened his mouth and i put it in then he hooked into it

He was joking mate ;)
Reread what he said and your post before that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back