What breed is this?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I won't comment on anything else, but for one, an intergrade is a natural cross between two species in the wild. I'm sick of people putting a bad name on intergrades, as intergrades are not man-made.

I just wish people would have at least a very basic grasp on a given topic before commenting.An intergrade is NOT a natural cross at all.

As to what the python in question is it could be anything.

I just wish people would have at least a very basic grasp on a given topic before commenting.An intergrade is NOT a natural cross at all.

As to what the python in question is it could be anything.

Do you care to elaborate? I thought the general consesus nowdays was that these Intergrades are indeed a cross between these two species in the wild, or do you know something that everyone else doesn't?

Since Diamonds and Coastals live alongside each other naturally without any human interference, I don't grasp how they are not a 'natural cross / intergrade '. Or are you getting at that they are just a variation of the natural diamond or coastal forms?

Last edited:
An integrade is an animal found within the natural 'colour change zone' between two different colours/subspecies. Not a cross.

So what happened to the pretty much 100% positive notion that they are results of diamond and coastal integration?

If this isn't the case, then shouldn't they be classed as a completely new subspecies by themselves?

http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/herp-help-38/faq-intergrade-54862/

I did follow this reasoning for many a year, but it seemed too many people were now referring to them as 'natural occurring crosses' so I followed suite as noone was denying it. So if this is still true, I can start calling them pure animals again? Because if they are indeed not crossed, then they can only be one thing which is a yet undescribed Ssp that occurs around the Port Macquarie and Coffs Harbor etc region.

Last edited:
What is a subspecies? It is just an imaginary boundary people have made up. In reality the eastern carpets are all just one species that shows variation across its range and what we call integrades are just those animals found in between what we have labelled as subspecies. The 'cross' you mention would be between a coastal animal (eg. brisbane) and a diamond animal (eg. sydney). It is something that would not happen in the wild and is not an integrade.

Hope this makes it clearer :)
The '100%' that agree a diamond/coastal cross is an integrade are misinformed.

Last edited:
Well it's interesting to know that people still hold this idea - good to know!

I do know what you mean about subspecies though and was going to mention it - but since these variations are all described, I thought it would be fitting if these Intergrades are described aswell - to save all the confusion and to clear up the boundaries for those who would still call them mutts.

It's quite annoying when you get some people PMing you for a badmouth session when you are trying to sell locality pure Port Macquaries! I will now stick with just calling them 'Port Macquarie Carpets' again and completely drop the term intergrade. :)

Yeah can imagine it being annoying in that way. Intergrade isn't a dirty word and your pure Port Macquaries should definitely not be seen as mutts! Subspecies are something we have put in place (along with many species) to help us label things. You will always get those who clump and those who split.

After a thousand discussions on this forum, how can people, still not know what an Intergrade is...............:eek:

Cockney, I did always go with the notion that has just been explained until there were so many people seeming to disagree with it.

Maybe a new thread should be made to explain it once and for all, because I can guarantee that many many people will still not know.. Obviously or I wouldn't be flamed whenever I post hatchies up for sale. :)

After a thousand discussions on this forum, how can people, still not know what an Intergrade is...............:eek:

Easy mate its APS! This is where the "magic" happens!!Lol!

I wonder if any of the experts could tell us whether or not it is possible to get a pure bred intergrade? Anyone??

Do you care to elaborate? I thought the general consesus nowdays was that these Intergrades are indeed a cross between these two species in the wild, or do you know something that everyone else doesn't?

Nope an inter grade is not a natural hybrid at all or even descended from a natural hybrid. This is probably the best way to describe it, lets say morelia spilota originated in north queensland, as the species enlarged its range it changes to better suit its habitat and climate. As carpets moved south from brisbane they gradually changed to better suit the habitat and climate, gradually changing untill they were diamonds but in between diamonds and coastals were port macs. Some people do believe they should be a subspecies on their own

I wonder if any of the experts could tell us whether or not it is possible to get a pure bred intergrade? Anyone??

Of course it is, its possible to get pure coastals, pure jungles etc. Nothing to stop people getting pure intergrades which are believed by many to be a separate subspecies

Last edited:
i bort a "coastal" that looks exactly like that 2 years ago, it was sold to me as a hypo coastal but i think otherwise

I put up a good post on what intergrades truely are. I am sure they made it a sticky post for future references. Try and find it. I am sure someone above has seen it as their explaination was very similar to my wording. As for the snake in question. In my opinion not a Diamond at all. Could be a intergrade or a hybrid. I can not enlarge the pic cleary enough to tell.

http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/herp-help-38/faq-intergrade-54862/

Basically what my description was, dont think i have actually read your thread but have seen so many discussions about this come up over the years. I know some people dont believe they are subspecies and should all just be Morelia spilota variants. I have been thinking that mayb that is more correct then having them as subspecies because, as we all know and what you mentioned in your thread, there are no distinct borders but just a gradual change from one form to the other so mayb they should be referred to as forms rather then subspecies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back