BHP outside for first time, crazy/full on reaction 8|

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rockstar_jones

Reaction score
Decided today, as it is quite overcast here in Adelaide and as I had nothing to do that I would take my 14 month old BHP outside for the first time.

She is a great handler and has a good temperament. Only ever played up a bit when she moved into a 4foot enclosure. I'm assuming she was a bit stressed and strung out for a few days there.

However I tied my dog up, well out the way around the other side of the yard and got Chloe and took her outside.

Put her on the grass and she was quite normal etc. Noticed there were a few ants in this particular section so decided to pick her up and move her to where no ants were.

Second time I placed her down and within 10 seconds she started huffing and puffing (not quite her usual feed time hissing, similar manner though) and taking off. She was looking around, quite flightly and seemed to kind of stand me off as I moved and tried to calmy pick her up. She made a B line across the grass and towards the side of the house where there are outdoor storage boxes against the wall.

Trying to stop her or pick her just made her fire up, she wasn't too bothered in having a go at me as she was more focused on where she was heading.

She then found the wall of the house and tried getting behind stuff. Still trying to pick her up she resisted and looked pretty pissed off.

Ended up leaving her for a bit and testing the waters with a broom before quickly picking her up and hoping she wouldn't bite. Got her back inside and into her enclosure. She was still and as I closed the sliding glass she flailed around and hissed and then took off under her newspaper

Anyone ever experienced this kind of stuff? was quite a shock to me as shes over 4 foot and 600 grams already, and I've never experienced an angry or crazy python. So much for trying to toilet train her and give her a bit of outdoors time.:shock::shock::shock::shock::shock:

Not to keen on taking my Bredli out for her first time now. What is she does the same :| lol

Maybe she felt vulnerable and scared as she hasnt been out there?
im no expert, but my guess is she was just trying to get to somewhere she felt safe, and possibly with all the new smells and sights around didnt realize it was you trying to pick her up?

Thats really weird, my pythons have always been fine when i take them outside for the first time. They just get very inquisitive and just wanna check everything out.

My BHP has done a similar thing when she doesnt wanna be picked up and hisses at me and tries to get away when i try to pick her up, but that was when she was younger, and only happened when in the cage, not outside

This is not uncommon behaviour. It probably just was overwhelmed by the sudden expose to all the natural stimulus around e.g. outdoor smells, feeling threatened out in the open during daylight etc. This will trigger natural instinctive behaviors e.g. defensive reactions etc. I have heard of this happening with peoples pet Taipans, that’s when it could get real hairy.

Very weird, my bredli loves going outside, he is even toilet trained now and does his thing on the front lawn. He has never played up outside at all. Maybe just a stress thing being a first time and all, a new feeling etc

Thats really weird, my pythons have always been fine when i take them outside for the first time. They just get very inquisitive and just wanna check everything out.

Yeah thats what I've always read and so got quite a shock. Yes it was as if she was going back to primal instincts. Completely switched in the blink of an eye.

How do I get around this? will she get used to it in the future? Would kind of want her to get used to it before shes double in length and gets quite heavy

Will also invest in a decent hook before next time!

Definately keep trying your bhp outside, and would be in your best interest to do it now while its still small! You dont want it being grumpy when it can swallow your arm lol. Id wait a few weeks and try again, just for 5-10 mins then maybe increase the time every time you take it out

My BHP is a very placid, gentle animal (even at meal times) but when outside he does the same as what you described. Once back in his tank he calms down and is his usual self. I guess the outdoors brings out the wildness in him.

Don't let this stop you from taking your bredli out, I take my diamond out sometimes and she has never behaved the way the BHP does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back