Well will you look @ what they found ?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How about you explain to the kid why corn snakes are illegal, what damage it could potentially cause then introduce him to Aussie snakes. Surely there's a local breeder who would be willing to give the kid a young childrens or similar in exchange, then hand the corn snake snake over to P&W. If you can't find a local breeder willing to donate let me know and I'll send a childrens down for the cost of the freight.

I had a bloke and his girlfriend come into my work today to buy some stuff. I noticed he had a container of crickets with him and asked did he keep lizards. He said he had a beardy and four leopard geckos.......I then said be careful who you tell that to as the geckos are illegal and someone may dob you in.....He then said their not illegal and he bought them off a licensed breeder and had written them into his NPWS keeper book lol. I advised him not to hand that book in come april and get a fresh one going lol. He showed me some pics of them on his phone and left convinced i was wrong about the illegality of them. Point is half the people out there with exoctics dont even know their illegal and the other half dont care.

hahaha. I wonder if it will go unnoticed, apparently out books arnt even looked at (Unless they doing a raid)?

Have a look at what Burmese Pythons are doing to the Everglades in America

Wow. Comparing a 4 - 5 foot constrictor escaping into an environment where 10+ foot constrictors are not uncommon (and animals predating on the smaller pythons exist) with a scenario where the worlds largest python is escaping / being released into an environment with no predators is a bit much. I agree that exotics can cause massive damage to a local ecosystem, but you just cant compare these two scenarios as being remotely similar.

As for the OP - I have a friend at work who has a corn snake. She had no idea that it was illegal, or the sort of trouble / fines she could get. I gave her some advice as to the consequences and she is now getting rid of the corn and looking to get a diamond. As far as I'm concerned, so long as the owner understands what they are doing and knows the risk, whether they choose to keep the animal or not is up to them :)

We pick up the odd corn in our rescue calls, and NPWS will not let us keep them for training or demo purposes, so if they won't let a bona fide licensed wildlife rescue organisation....

Apparently, there are colonies of corns in the wild in Aus. I have heard of 2.

Just kill it and get a native, simple.

Even if you zezza did buy it (not saying you did) it should've cost that much anyway.

Just kill it and get a native, simple.

Even if you zezza did buy it (not saying you did) it should've cost that much anyway.

Prices for corns are increasing from what I heard. They're pretty popular. Plenty around, anybody who thinks otherwise is kidding themselves. Let him keep it, if he happens to 'find' and hognosed snakes let me know first ;)

you lot have got to be kidding... advocating to keep a snake that a child just picked up outside ... and thats exotic!!! sounds like a crock to me.
1. child has to learn not to pick up ANY ANY ANY wild snakes.... educate them.
2. kids are always being told about rules about the world and how it operates- do this, dont do that... an important part of childrearing... so no big deal about the snake having to go. The parents are likely to freak out about the child having a snake anyway... unless its all bullshit!
3. what if we had been able to stop the first few cane toads ... and didnt.. look at the monumental disaster it is. By keep ing exotics we are allowing the risk of escaped exotics in our environment and a potential disaster, which i personally dont want. we do regular cane toad musters at night here- our current record is 78 toads in one night in just our yard! Look at feral cats, foxes, rabbits.... plenty of examples around.
cant believe some people think we are ok to keep exotics. Or to question whether a child should be able to keep one!

How about you explain to the kid why corn snakes are illegal, what damage it could potentially cause then introduce him to Aussie snakes. Surely there's a local breeder who would be willing to give the kid a young childrens or similar in exchange, then hand the corn snake snake over to P&W. If you can't find a local breeder willing to donate let me know and I'll send a childrens down for the cost of the freight.
He obviously needs a license first...

Wow. Comparing a 4 - 5 foot constrictor escaping into an environment where 10+ foot constrictors are not uncommon (and animals predating on the smaller pythons exist) with a scenario where the worlds largest python is escaping / being released into an environment with no predators is a bit much. I agree that exotics can cause massive damage to a local ecosystem, but you just cant compare these two scenarios as being remotely similar.

They aren't the world's largest python. However maybe you're right it isn't the exact same thing. I was just trying to make the point that introduced species endanger local wildlife. It was the only snake related example I could think of :)

What dont people understand? They are a risk to our wildlife, and carry un known diseases which could be detrimental to our wildlife. They are noted as a PEST species in America, due to the fact they breed like rabbits. Corn snakes will adapt to any environment to survive.
Not sure if this was mentioned, but why dob him in? He found it in the veggie patch right? SO why is the kid in the wrong? TO me the kid was just excited to find a snake out the back, as if he would have known what species it was, let alone an exotic. Unfortunately there's black market everywhere, so the trade is hard to stop, but do the right thing and hand him in. Its sad for the snake but that's human impact for you.

Instead of yelling at people on a forum for not spoon feeding you information
just Google why exotic animals pose a threat.
Hopefully you at least washed you hands after holding the random snake.

u cant win , u you ask for info ................... your an idiot !
you dont ask so you never know................ your an idiot !
and I wash my hands even between holding my own snakes.....

If your going to lie about something at least cover your bases....

Last edited by a moderator:
Are these pics of your kids Minka? Is that a corn as well?

Wow...you really do have to spell everything out on APS.
No saximus, not my snakes, not my kids.

Also Zeeza or whatever your name is you sure are kind to the little random boy. I wish some random lady took me on rollercoasters when i was a kid...

Last edited by a moderator:
lol yes that my kids with the same corn snake ! if i wanted photos of my kids on a site the world can see Id have used those pictures wouldnt I, now can i ASK how is it YOUR allowed to put photos of my children who are clearly underage on a website the world can see ??? I have a private facebook page which is where uve obviously stolen these pix from ! so ppl cant c my kids ! !

now how do i get these photos OF MY KIDS off this site !

lol ok sorry to be so exasperating Minka. I just didn't realise someone would really be silly enough to put pics like that up then start a thread about it.

lol yes that my kids with the same corn snake ! if i wanted photos of my kids on a site the world can see Id have used those pictures wouldnt I, now can i ASK how is it YOUR allowed to put photos of my children who are clearly underage on a website the world can see ??? I have a private facebook page which is where uve obviously stolen these pix from ! so ppl cant c my kids ! !

now how do i get these photos OF MY KIDS off this site !

Contact the mods, weather you have lied and done the wrong thing (not saying you have) does not give anyone the right to put up photo's of your kids on a public forum

I took the pix ! Why does that matter ???? my kids like snakes they were here they were interested , I chose not to use those pix cause I didnt want my kids faces all over the web ! They are on my facebook account which is supposed to be PRIVATE !.............. Either way believe what u want all youve proved is that your more interested in STALKING , HARRASSING and ASSUMING THINGS ..... Wouldnt u have taken a photo or two ??????
How do I get pix of my kids off this site !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back