Any other Bowhunters on APS?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

guzzo

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Just decided to get my trusty old bow out for a shot the other day.
I used to be a mad keen hunter but am a bit soft these days. In any case I am making up a new batch of arrows and think I might go fo a hunt again in the near future.

Any other Bowhunters on APS out there?

Got some good stuff here ......some angry stuff too.....but I would like to hunt rabbits. I was down south last year and got one and cooked it. Would be good in a camp oven.
There is just something about watching an arrow in flight that keeps me coming back to the bow.

Im using blunts for the bunnies, anywhere from chest to head will dispatch them, usually without visable bleeding. Used to chase a few Foxes as well but the bunnies are my favourite.

Not a hunter, (I could never harm an animal) but an archer. I do field style archery (3D & paper rounds), these days with a Internature Viper longbow. In the past I used mainly a Martin Firefox compound with sights but decided to try barebow and instinct style shooting

Have been using a bow since I was 9 :)
Haven't done much hunting with one lately, but a mate and I just signed back up to the local bowhunters club. The rifles are just a bit too loud to use all the time.

Not a hunter, (I could never harm an animal) but an archer. I do field style archery (3D & paper rounds), these days with a Internature Viper longbow. In the past I used mainly a Martin Firefox compound with sights but decided to try barebow and instinct style shooting

Great!

I would I would love a longbow again. I currently have a Martin Slayer Ext....a wild looking bow for sure. Montepython what bow do you shoot?

Have been using a bow since I was 9 :)
Haven't done much hunting with one lately, but a mate and I just signed back up to the local bowhunters club. The rifles are just a bit too loud to use all the time.

I also used to have guns but i like the quiet too....I would like to try bow fishing!

Bowfishing is good fun, I used to go after tilapia on a semi-regular basis. I've got a 55-70# martin jaguar at the moment, used to use recurve but sold it in a clean out.

Ive seen some crazy videos of it in USA. I have friends who go out on neap tides up here with hand spears and get Barra. I am not sure of the legalities of bowfishing and where you are allowed to go though.

View attachment 185450 here is a pic of my effort of bow fishing while hunting for pigs at Dalby QLD a few years ago

Last edited:
I went to the longbow as I got too hung-up with competitive shooting and accuracy with the compound that it wasn't fun anymore. Using a longbow, wooden arrows and no sights is a far cry from what I'm use to. Instinctive shooting is hard to do when you've been so use to using sights! I have to keep telling myself..."Stop thinking so much!"

I'm also intending to shoot the longbow at the Medieval Fair here in SA in May, should be interesting!

I know exactly what you mean. making something complicated that was meant to be simple. I like all forms of Archery and want to get a long bow or take down recurve soon. Really I just like going for long walks in the bush and having a bow with me is a bonus. See a lot of herps when walking quietly too.

Last edited:
I have 100 pound compound bow, havent been hunting in forever..

50lb Grizzly recurve (Yank Bow but nice finish), have been thinking of dropping some poundage as i have a reoccuring shoulder injury, rsi?? from the bow??
I also have a cheeeeep 30# that gives me no grief when putting 40-50 arows through it. Dont think it has enough punch to be used as a hunting Bow though.
I have always wanted to try a Long Bow, but i wanted to make my own. There are some good plans around and they can be done with minimal tools.

We cant Bow Fish in NSW it sux.

Really depends on you height, draw length etc. Best to join a club or go to a dedicated archery shop. Injuries can and will occure from using the wrong poundage and draw size for your body type.

Ive seen some crazy videos of it in USA. I have friends who go out on neap tides up here with hand spears and get Barra. I am not sure of the legalities of bowfishing and where you are allowed to go though.

View attachment 185450 here is a pic of my effort of bow fishing while hunting for pigs at Dalby QLD a few years ago
woah, theres more gadgets than actual bow there!

I myself have been making bows since i was 5, and now have a 25 pound recurve, and was going to get a compound a while back, but got out of archery a bit, my mate has quite an outfit, a few gadgets and things, but i got out of archery, mainly coz of arrow costs

I'm keen to get one, can anyone make a reccomendation for pigs and maybe buff?

waruikazi the game you hunt more depends on your arrows, the bow is just what gets it there but its the arrow that does all the work and big game need heavy arrows

as an example
picture an adult man with a pingpong ball, it doesnt matter how strong he is or how hard he can throw that pingpong ball if it hits you it wont even make you flinch
now picture a small child with a golf ball, the golf ball is the same size and shape as the pingpong but if he throws it with even a small amount of strength it will do alot more damage to what ever it hits

all you need is a bow you are comfortable with and some good arrows set up for the game you wish to hunt

for fishing i use a bowfisher 808 reel mounted to the front of a 65lb compound, its basically a closed face reel with cord rather than fishing line as i got sick of winding it back onto a handreel type set up i had after each shot

here is a pic of my 75lb bladerunner A51 set at 65% let off
i havent had it out in the feild yet unfortunately but it is an awesome bow to use
the draw is so smooth
i need to get a fall away rest though as the whisker buiscuit rests are crap for helicoil flights

IMG_1232.jpg

Yeah I'm pretty nuts on bowhunting, been bowhunting since I was 16-45 now, sheds full of reptiles and hunting stuff ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back