Rat Breeding Ages

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bpb02

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Morning all, i was just wondering at what age you put your male rat in with the females. i have just purchased 2 females and 1 male and they are about 4 weeks old.

I was going to keep them together until the girls got pregnant but i have read that it is good to wait till the girls get a bit older before you start breeding them.

So what age are your girls when you introduce a male?

Thanks in advance.

Matt

They say you should separate males and females in a litter at about 6 weeks because they are capable of reproducing with each other. In my experience though you don't get much happening till about 8-10 weeks.

They say you should separate males and females in a litter at about 6 weeks because they are capable of reproducing with each other. In my experience though you don't get much happening till about 8-10 weeks.
DITTO....solar 17 [Baden]

okay mate will there more chance of pregnancy issues if the girls did get pregnant at about the 4-6 week mark.

Should i separate them until the girls get a bit older or just the leave male in with them and let them do there thing when they are ready?

Yeah they'll do it when they're ready. If they aren't physically ready they won't get pregnant. You shouldn't have any issues leaving them together. Just for info too they tend to have small litters for their first ones (I've had them only have two babies before) so don't worry if you only get a couple first time round

Great thanks for the info if there are any other hints or tips you have on breeding rats that you think would be valuable to know feel free haha the more info the better, right?

One other thing what is the deal with protein and rats all i have been able to gather is that it can help with pregnancy and also may help prevent the mother eating her young.

Keep them cool in summer and warm in winter would be my biggest tip. If it's too hot they all die and you waste a lot of time/money replacing them and waiting for them to start breeding again. If it's too cold they don't breed and you essentially just end up with a couple of pet rats.
If you get proper rat cubes they have the right nutrient levels (find a pet feed wholesaler it will be a crapload cheaper than a pet shop). A lot of people use dog biscuits too but I think you need to get specific ones if you're specifically after protein.

I recommend you check out Ralph Davis on You Tube.
He has about a hundred videos online but if you can find the ones about his rat colony it will put you in good steed.

Yeah they'll do it when they're ready. If they aren't physically ready they won't get pregnant. You shouldn't have any issues leaving them together. Just for info too they tend to have small litters for their first ones (I've had them only have two babies before) so don't worry if you only get a couple first time round
Ive got 3 sisters here that are 8weeks old that had..14-13-13 i wouldnt say there small litters...

One last question I just feed them some peas in water and they went nuts for it. Can you over feed rats? I considered getting them some more but I don't want to over feed them

Nah you can't overfeed them. Almost everyone just leaves a heap of food in the cages for whenever they get hungry

Ive got 3 sisters here that are 8weeks old that had..14-13-13 i wouldnt say there small litters...

Oh wow I guess I stand corrected. Mine have always had small ones for their first

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back