Help the house sitter - Do snakes move much?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SnakeNumpty

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am house sitting a house with a snake. Do they move around much? He's been coiled up in the corner, close to the red light for the last week. Do they change locations or generally have a favourite spot?

He ate a mouse a week ago, before the owner left and I don't have to feed him and there's a bowl of water for him to drink.

How do I tell he's still alive?

I'm a true snake numpty, the only snake I've ever seen up close was a brown snake in my back yard. I don't know what sort this is but he has a sort of blackish/grey pattern on him.

Thanks.

He's fine. He is a snake, its what they do :)
He might change locations depending on whether he wants to warm up or cool down, but thats about it.
If he only ate a week ago, he will be under the heat, digesting.

They mainly move around at night. I have 6 snakes and they all seem to have a favourite spot where they like to sleep during the day. They will change location every now and then, but mine seem to stay in the same spot all day. They do change body position though. Watch the snakes body and you should be able to see it breathing, but don't panic if you can't. Just check on the snake every couple of hours, it'll probably move at least a little bit :) Do you have any pictures of the snake?

Awesome. Thanks very much. :) The last thing I want is for them to come home to a deceased snake.

One other thing. I know I can't spray fly spray with the snake in the house but can I use those things you plug in to stop flies & mozzies? I've got one called Raid Night and Day.

Oh sorry, didn't see the second post. I'm working on a pic, I need to find a usb cord as this computer doesn't have a card reader.

Raid Night and Day is still a pyrethoid (synthetic insecticide based on the pyrethium daisy).

To avoid flies as a pest, cover all food or keep it refrigerated.

Mosquitoes can be repelled by closed curtains, insect screens or closed exterior doors.

I live in a dengue risk area - and yet I don't get a single bite... I've never used a fly spray ever!

My advice is avoidance - however - though pyrethoids aren't dangerous in small amounts to humans, I am not sure what the test is on snakes...

I'll just not use the plug in thing then.

The door is often open for the dog, I'd love to have it closed.

Oh, his head has changed positions. We have a moving snake!

I can't change his water, I have no key to the enclosure. And there are two water dishes. How often do they need changing?

IMG_0028.jpg

Sorry about the dodgy photo, it's through the glass.

Ok, snakey moved again. I'm happy he's alive now.

IMG_0029.jpg

Last edited:
Lol you can usually see them breathing if you look close as well. His long is the owner away for? Ideally the water should be changed every few days but if it's locked then as long as it isn't empty don't worry

They're away for another 2 weeks.

I couldn't see him breathe but he changed positions so I am happy.

The enclosure is locked but there is plenty of water in there. I think he'll be fine, I just had a moment of worry because I am used to animals which tell you if they're unhappy.

Snakes will tell you if they're unhappy. You just have to listen really carefully ;)

Yes, he is calm. And he is growing on me. I'm just used to more interactive pets. Although I am sure he'd be more interactive if I fed him but I'm not sticking my hand in there! :lol:

We have baby Jungles and Murray Darlings at the moment, and the difference between the two is huge.
The Jungles really want to eat you, and the MD's are sooo relaxed and placid :)

Murray Darlings (Inland) are the most chilled phyton- well mine is anyway. My sportted on the othe rhand has much more attitude

I'd like a cuddly snake. One who likes to be handled but won't eat me. Having said that, I have no plans to actually get a snake within the next 5 years but I won't rule it out completely. Once my dog dies (and he's ten now so I don't expect any more than 5 years from him but hope for more), I want a pet that I can leave for a few days at a time, a snake seems ok in that respect as long as everything is on a timer, as the light and heater are for this one. I'm really here for the dog.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back