Micro-bat and Owl identity.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocket

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I recently came across a few animals that I am not overly familiar with, especially in regards to identification. Both were located in the Barossa Valley of South Australia.

The Bat was found inside of a house on a property amongst acres of ruined sheds, homes, stables etc and suitable trees containing hollows. The owl was simply flying around and up a tree and I apologise for the poor quality of the photos, using maximum zoom coupled with a $300 digital doesn't equal great focused images.

If these animals could be ID'd for use in a locality portfolio, it would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• P2110020.JPG
    P2110020.JPG
    145.4 KB · Views: 112
  • P2110012.JPG
    P2110012.JPG
    173.6 KB · Views: 122
  • P2110008.JPG
    P2110008.JPG
    153.6 KB · Views: 121
  • P2110018.JPG
    P2110018.JPG
    131 KB · Views: 127
  • P2110031.JPG
    P2110031.JPG
    232 KB · Views: 124
The bat is a little mastiff bat (Mormopterus planiceps), and the owl a southern boobook (Ninox novaeseelandiae).

Thanks ozziepythons. I assume these Mastiff Bats are also known to carry Lyssavirus?

Just noticed mastiff bats are also called southern or inland freetail bats, southern forms being 'hung' and the inland not so well endowed. True story.

Thanks ozziepythons. I assume these Mastiff Bats are also known to carry Lyssavirus?

I couldn't confirm if they are a vector for disease.

Really, thats all you say? No supporting information as to why it shouldn't be assumed in regards to this species? Has it been proven that this species does not carry the virus and it is safe to free-handle individuals with no risk of contracting the virus via a bite or scratch?

By the way, thanks for the links Fuscus, I didn't realise Lyssavirus was only so recently discovered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back